• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses WWII-Era Anime Film Momotaro, Sacred Sailors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajr

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to see Funimation license this, it's nice to see early landmark animation works like this getting some attention. I saw some of this on Youtube a while back, and it was neat seeing how the animation was smoother (higher frame rate) than modern anime, but things warped or ballooned weirdly in three dimensions. I think maybe they had a harder time staying on model or something, hadn't quite ironed out their process somewhere I guess.

It also shows how much Walt Disney & co. were kicking everyone else's butt at the time re: animate. Granted, the 1940 movie Pinnochio had a budget of $2.3 million, which is $38.9 after inflation vs. Momotaro:Sacred Sailors' $5.5 million after inflation, so maybe it's no surprise it looks so much better, but even Disney propaganda shorts can hold up today pretty well (calling the propaganda in the short Der Furher's Face "blatant" is a severe understatement, but it's still hilarious 70+ years later).

Anyway, glad to see a company like Funimation pay attention to historic/"intellectual" anime rather than just the fun or entertaining stuff.
Rekishika

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:33 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm more surprised that they didn't license "Spider and Tulip", too, which will be on the Japanese DVD and Blu-ray of "Momotaro Sacred Sailors" coming out in August. (Just as it was on the VHS tape, back in 1984.) Or was the blackface spider too much for them?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:09 am Reply with quote
Weird pickup, but at least it's a piece of history. I might watch it. Interesting that it's licensed by the same company that released Hetalia, a show that pokes fun at this time in history.

Though I find it hilarious that we get a legal release of Axis propaganda, but companies like Disney and Warner Bros. often have a difficult time giving our own WWII propaganda official releases of any kind. You can't watch cartoons like this with anything but historical context.
DrApplebox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:27 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I was born before the war was over.

Created an account just to say, WOW. You might be the oldest user on this website.

Last edited by DrApplebox on Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
@DrApplebox

I really doubt that. There is nothing about anime or manga that imposes an age limit. Getting old is not difficult, you just have to be patient, it can be painful though.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:02 am Reply with quote
ajr wrote:
Interesting to see Funimation license this, it's nice to see early landmark animation works like this getting some attention. I saw some of this on Youtube a while back, and it was neat seeing how the animation was smoother (higher frame rate) than modern anime,
The thing you showed keep in mind when watching pre Astro Boy Animes, is they are not Anime as we know them. Osamu Tezuka is not called the godfather of Anime for nothing, he set many of the foundations for what we identify as Anime.

Even in American animation of the time, which this would be heavily based on, it is very different today, as before TV animation there was no shortcuts, everything was done in full movement.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Weird pickup, but at least it's a piece of history. I might watch it. Interesting that it's licensed by the same company that released Hetalia, a show that pokes fun at this time in history.

Though I find it hilarious that we get a legal release of Axis propaganda, but companies like Disney and Warner Bros. often have a difficult time giving our own WWII propaganda official releases of any kind. You can't watch cartoons like this with anything but historical context.

As a hardcore Disney fan who still laughs hysterically at the Donald Duck cartoon Der Fuehrer's Face, I agree wholeheartedly. I also would like to add that Walter Lantz, who had a contract with Universal Pictures, also used some of his cartoons in his Woody Woodpecker franchise to talk about the war as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukDs7wScLUI
Rekishika

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
... Even in American animation of the time, which this would be heavily based on, it is very different today, as before TV animation there was no shortcuts, everything was done in full movement.

Then why did a Japanese article in 1916 praise John R. Bray for getting away with filming the same drawing 3 to 5 times in a row? (See http://litten.de/fulltext/ani1917.pdf, part 4)
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Rekishika wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
... Even in American animation of the time, which this would be heavily based on, it is very different today, as before TV animation there was no shortcuts, everything was done in full movement.

Then why did a Japanese article in 1916 praise John R. Bray for getting away with filming the same drawing 3 to 5 times in a row? (See http://litten.de/fulltext/ani1917.pdf, part 4)
I was referring to the golden age 1930s to 60s. I don't know as much about the early days of animation. At that point, the method for making animation was still being learnt, cels were not used so everything on screen had to be redrawn for every movement., how many drawings were needed to create movement must of been still up in the air. So someone trying to animate being lower the amount of drawings, well maybe it was a shortcut, but given the circumstances it doesn't sound like it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Us licensing Axis propaganda? Jesus. But it's a piece of history, so nice work Funimation!

Well, it's been long enough since World War II that it's perfectly fine. There's no fear of anyone watching the movie and wanting to join the Axis. You can freely show Triumph of the Will in public in the United States now (albeit audiences should be informed about its historical context before watching it), whereas Leni Riefenstahl's name was mud in the United States when she won an Oscar for it.

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
I guarantee you, there are enough academic libraries out there that will buy this that Funi will cover its investment even if no regular viewers pick it up.

Yeah, I can see history classes and film classes screening this movie for as long as they have the copies. I wonder if this is big news for World War II historians, or at least how many of them know about this upcoming release.

Rekishika wrote:
Well, I'm more surprised that they didn't license "Spider and Tulip", too, which will be on the Japanese DVD and Blu-ray of "Momotaro Sacred Sailors" coming out in August. (Just as it was on the VHS tape, back in 1984.) Or was the blackface spider too much for them?

Hey now, one step at a time. Maybe they're licensing and distributing Momotaro: Sacred Sailors to see if they can sell them before moving on to other things. This is such an out-of-left-field pickup for FUNimation that even the FUNimation guys don't know if it'll fail or succeed.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that Funi pick this rare and classic propaganda (Or in Seo's political views trying to give dreams to children and peace stuff).

There was a song about the Japanese alphabet in the film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3