• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sound! Euphonium 2 Reveals New Cast, Visual

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Kamieichi wrote:

There are new additional scenes made for the movie actually. It's not that much and you don't necessarily have to watch it for the second season. Still it's worth watching, at least for me.

Oh, okay. I hadn't seen anything on that at all, so I assumed it was entirely recap. My bad. Sad

angelmcazares wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Epic hugeness, shiny brass instruments with perfect highlights... I don't know about the show- first season's owned by Pony Canyon so why watch what I can't have?

Because you can watch it legally and enjoy it without owning it Confused .. Do you only watch shows that you can physically buy?

I am a little depressed with PCUSA having the rights to Sound! Euphonium because I really like the show, but I can't justify paying $200+ for the 3 subbed-only volumes with stupid packaging. But if season 2 is legally streamed, I still plan to watch it. I like to collect anime on disc, but watching simulcasts (of shows I might not buy on BD/DVD) is an integral part of my fandom.

I don't blame you for that at all. I am also primarily a physical media collector, but I usually watch things streaming first, if legally possible. And I would never not-watch a show because it wasn't licensed or something. I can't even count how many amazing shows I would have missed if I did.
I did decide to bite the bullet on this release in the end, but it will likely be my last PonyCan release, especially if the "Gift With Purchase" really is just postcards. That's pretty pathetic. When Rokka came with the awesome Storyboard book and the full OST, I was a little encouraged, but this release seems pretty lame.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:09 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Epic hugeness, shiny brass instruments with perfect highlights... I don't know about the show- first season's owned by Pony Canyon so why watch what I can't have?

Because you can watch it legally and enjoy it without owning it Confused .. Do you only watch shows that you can physically buy?

Personally, while I don't apply it to current shows, I do with older ones that never got licensed. There are shows that I want to see, but I won't, because I can't buy it on disc. And, I'm being literal when I say can't, as the shows weren't licensed.

Examples of shows/franchises I want to see, but won't as I can't own them on disc, are Sumomo Momomo, Inukami, Yamato 2199 and Macross. Sure, the latter 2 I could get into, as Delta is apparently going to be released in Japan with English subs, and Yamato was released with English subs...but they're very pricey (and, I'd say Yamato is waaay out of my price range now) for what would be blind buys.

The first 2 shows listed are ones I'd like to see, as I own the manga. But, since I can't own them on disc, I'd prefer not to see the characters animated and voiced...and just enjoy them in the manga I own.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

Personally, while I don't apply it to current shows, I do with older ones that never got licensed. There are shows that I want to see, but I won't, because I can't buy it on disc. And, I'm being literal when I say can't, as the shows weren't licensed.

Examples of shows/franchises I want to see, but won't as I can't own them on disc, are Sumomo Momomo, Inukami, Yamato 2199 and Macross. Sure, the latter 2 I could get into, as Delta is apparently going to be released in Japan with English subs, and Yamato was released with English subs...but they're very pricey (and, I'd say Yamato is waaay out of my price range now) for what would be blind buys.

I'm basically the opposite in that regard. If it is an important series from a previous decade and is unlikely to ever be legally available I am not above finding another method to watch it. And in those cases, since it is often more about me experiencing it, rather than wanting to own it, I don't mind not having a physical copy. I do things the legal way as much as possible, but if I really have no other way of seeing something, and it's something that I think is important to watch, I'm going to do what I feel is necessary. I have never seen any Macross, but that is definitely one that I plan to get to whether or not it's legally available. I'm tempted to get the Delta imports, but like you, I can't really justify that as a blind buy right now, and I don't have time to watch a fansub for that show on top of everything I'm legally watching. lol
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:51 am Reply with quote
For my viewing habits, I don't put much stock in the importance others place on a show. Especially if there's nothing that interests me. Thing is, for me, if the show does hold importance and it is a show I want to watch, I'd rather pass on it if I can't own it.

Mostly because I want to own the shows that hold significance to me, as I prefer to rewatch shows on disc than streaming them again. Yamato is a show I want to watch, and some day I might do so...I just know that, as things stand, it's unlikely I'll be watching it on disc any time soon.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

Mostly because I want to own the shows that hold significance to me, as I prefer to rewatch shows on disc than streaming them again. Yamato is a show I want to watch, and some day I might do so...I just know that, as things stand, it's unlikely I'll be watching it on disc any time soon.

That's understandable. As a collector, I can definitely understand how frustrating it is to really love a show, and not be able to own it. I guess I've sort of resigned myself to the fact that that is just how it's going to be. But yeah, it sucks that I can't own Kemonozume or a ton of other shows, without buying the JP release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2