• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
D.Gray-man Hallow Anime to Have 13 Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The American Average

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
well just 13? thats sad, hopefully its full of content. the manga has lots of info and if any of it gets cut people will be confused down the road if they make more.

its probably just going to be the Alma arc and maybe timothy's. which sucks Alma's arc is awesome but DGrayman really shines after that arc too. It better continue cause my Dgrayman lust won't be quench with just 13 episodes.
Cetais

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
FlareKnight wrote:

There are various reasons shows have different episode counts. Who was testing the waters with World Trigger's 73 episodes? While Boku no Hero Academia which is extremely popular only got a 13 episode first season.

If you want to claim how businesses work then explain why everything that is first coming out isn't 13 episodes. I'll wait on that one.

World Trigger got 73 episodes because Toei aimed for a long-running shonen. Toei have lots of money and they are used to make long running shows. Also, the pay animators get is really abysmal.

Hero Academia got 13 episodes because BONES is a small studio and they treat their animators as people.

When it's niche things that aren't sure to be popular, they usually test the waters, like this. You know that D. Gray Man got 103 episodes, and it's a sequel, so you need to know the material before watching, right?

The only potential public for this is people who has watched the original series and people who read the manga. they stopped airing reruns of D Gray Man on TV at least 6 years ago. The potential views are limited,

They can't pitch the anime as "the next big thing" like Toei tried with Toriko and World Trigger, since they already tried that with the first season of DGM.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
A lot of people still don't know how the industry work it seemed. D Gray Man isn't exactly a really famous work, and by doing 13 episodes first, they have a better chance in reducing losses if the anime ended up not garnering much fame. Like someone above said, they are gauging interest first, before perhaps heading out with more content adaptation if the condition work well. That's how the entertainment industry does business, presenting it products to see the result before making the next decision. It's really not that hard to figured out, not to mentioned there's Shirobako out there that everyone should watch to learn about some things related to the industry.

Feel free to correct any assumption that I might have made.

Cetais wrote:
Guess most people doesn't understand that this is done to gauge interest. They weren't sure to make a long-running sequel for an already long show,

13 episodes that doesn't sell is way better than 100 episodes that doesn't sell.

Those sound like cool assumptions, but based on how the animation industry actually works, that seems pretty unlikely. It isn't like other entertainment industries. They contract out a specific number of episodes and once those are fulfilled, the animation studio is done. Given that these contracts are put together months or years ahead of time, by the time they have any idea whether or not the show is actually successful, the studio is already going to be scheduled for many months or a couple of years ahead. They aren't just sitting on their hands waiting for the greenlight to come. If they planned to do more than 13 episodes, they would have them in the pipelines already.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:50 am Reply with quote
@Relyat : Thanks for repoonding to me without much hostility. Nonetheless, what I make was merely assumption and nowhere do I felt like being an expert in the business, but just doing a personal point of view. I read your post but I have nothing else to add since my knowledge regarding this sort of thing is very limited any way.

At any rate, I'm just going to look forward for the show regardless of the number of episodes. Hope it's gonna be a great ride (and even if it's not great, I don't care either).
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:21 am Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
That's rather disappointing, but I can understand why. The manga barely updates as it is, and more than 1 cour would mean that eventually the anime would run out of material and we would have some intense filler like the first anime. I rather have the reboot end at Alma's arc than have that,

Yes, the manga only releases 4 chapters a year, and before that it was on a long break. Still, there is enough material for 24 episodes with room to spare.

thekingsdinner wrote:
That's... a shame. I thought they had at least enough material for 2-cours but I guess that's not the case.

Me too. And yeah, they do have enough content. Lets hope it sells well and they adapt another part of the manga into another 13 episodes Sad
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:41 am Reply with quote
Alot of us are expecting for 2 cours
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3