• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
First Impressions: Netflix's Voltron Legendary Defender

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
wonderwomanhero wrote:
the stereotypical lack of women though....

hard pass.

I agree, it's very weird, especially considering one of the two showrunners is a female...

The princess is right there...

...and if this borrows enough from the original then she'll be a pilot eventually. She already has a uniform matching the boys so expect her to have a big part in the series.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
wonderwomanhero wrote:
the stereotypical lack of women though....

hard pass.

I agree, it's very weird, especially considering one of the two showrunners is a female...

So not enough tits means it's a pass eh? What a positively charming attitude.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
And it is only one episode in. Given the propensity for Avatar to have girls in big spots and portrayed as just as, if not more capable than male counterparts, I wouldn't worry. Even if so far the previews show one woman, who kinda looks like Mihoshi from Tenchi Muyo with white hair.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for this! I only saw about 5 min of the original Voltron a few years ago. But the trailers have me hyped and the concept is still good. However I think people are overstating the connection to Avatar. Dos Santos is working on it and he directed several episodes of Avatar and they were great, but the people who actively led and created Avatar have nothing to do with this series whatsoever. The animation will look great though since Mir does good work.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of the five or six people who preferred Tranzor Z to Voltron for reasons long since forgotten, so I'll most likely continue scratching my nostalgia itch elsewhere. I'm still glad to hear that this seems to have some real love put into it when it could have easily gone the cash-grab route. If I keep hearing good things as it goes on, maybe I will have to check it out after all.
Sprocket

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I gotta be honest, I kind of miss the days when who's kissing who only really mattered in soap operas.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Pidge? That might explain his introversion. I'm just saying give us some head's up.

Personally, I'm thinking they might actually make Pidge transgender. He's the only one of the boys who is voiced by a female voice actor, and he certainly looks like he could biologically be female. Just thinking that since in the original series Pidge always looked like a girl but was voiced by a guy, perhaps the opposite could be true here.
Sprocket

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
A lot of this speculation depends on how much risk WEP wants to take, whether they think it'll help get them a toy deal and/or that movie finally off the ground.

My advice? Temper those expectations, or you're just gonna piss yourself off when something you wanted to happen doesn't.

Last edited by Sprocket on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I am looking forward to this as I am the Warcraft movie at this point in time, to translate meaning I am curious but have zero faith that it will be "great" but certainly expect to be entertained.

Dance robot, DANCE!
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Pidge? That might explain his introversion. I'm just saying give us some head's up.

Personally, I'm thinking they might actually make Pidge transgender. He's the only one of the boys who is voiced by a female voice actor, and he certainly looks like he could biologically be female. Just thinking that since in the original series Pidge always looked like a girl but was voiced by a guy, perhaps the opposite could be true here.

I...I thought Pidge was a girl from the very first trailer, and the only thing that disproves that Pidge might (still?) be a girl is Mike using masculine pronouns to describe Pidge. Unless Pidge is shown using the urinal in the first ep or something, I'll continue to think that Pidge might be a girl until the show says otherwise. After all, even Power Rangers had two female rangers (as far as I know) in its incarnations. And Avatar had Smellerbee...

I would love to see a smart, nerdy girl in an action cartoon with a majority male cast (as apposed to another badass action girl like Toph). If the princess and maybe that villain character are the only girls on the show, I'll be disappointed.

EDIT: Actually, the more I look into it, the more I'm convinced that Pidge is a girl hiding her identity. On the official website, Pidge's character bio is the only one without any pronouns. In Den of Geek's interview with Pidge's voice actress Bex Taylor-Klaus, there are a couple of exchanges hinting towards it:
Den of Geek Interview wrote:
Obviously Pidge has lost his family and that sucks, but has Pidge gone through anything else that informs the character?

Well, I could tell you that but it would spoil all the fun of watching it. There are a lot of layers to Pidge that it’s going to be very fun to peel off throughout our eleven episodes.

With the original Voltron, Pidge had this really squeaky, almost muppet voice. When you heard about the audition for Pidge were you like, “Oh god, I do not want to do a muppet voice.”

Well I was warned. When I went in for Voltron, I took the character and went in with a voice that I thought would fit the character. This fifteen year old boy. Not squeaky but not normal puberty boy level either. I went in there and they seemed to enjoy it and I was warned afterwards that the old voice had been so squeaky that no one would recognize me as Pidge. And I was like, “Okay, well, maybe they’ll like this one. Maybe they can listen to Pidge talking for more time.” And I didn’t wanna be a muppet. I thought it’d be more fun this way to give him a real voice.

Obviously in the voice acting industry they get women to play boys but do you think there was a reason they cast you specifically? Is it because they were going for that more boyishness with Pidge, because he is a little younger than everybody else?

Yeah, Pidge is the youngest on the team for sure and I think the reason they chose me? Well, for girls with more androgynous voices like myself, it’s easier to play up or down. So for Pidge it’s fun to play around with both just because he’s so young and kind of in the throes of age and all those changes.

Now I'm intrigued, and maybe a bit obsessed! Laughing [/url]
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I really wouldn't look too much into Pidge possibly being a girl given the general trend for younger boys to be voiced by women, both in the US and in Anime (which this Voltron is taking quite a few influences from).
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I never watched Voltron (my dad is a fan of it), but I'm curious to see this.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Since this is Netflix, we're getting the whole series at once right? If so, I'll probably binge watch it this weekend. So far I like what I've seen, and Mir does amazing work.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I really wouldn't look too much into Pidge possibly being a girl given the general trend for younger boys to be voiced by women, both in the US and in Anime (which this Voltron is taking quite a few influences from).

If that were the only clue, I wouldn't look too much into it. But the official website's description and the interview with the voice actress, as well as another interview with the show's creators (also on Den of Geek) gives me the strong impression that something is up with Pidge. Whether it's gender or something else I can't be sure of till the show premiers. But anime has a long, long history with crossdressing characters going all the way back to Oscar on Rose of Versailles (perhaps further?).

The only good thing about Netflix promoting unhealthy TV binging habits is that this won't be a mystery for long; all the episodes will be available on the 10th in 4 days. But if I'm right, I want some kind of prize Razz
Sprocket

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
It's certainly a common enough trope of anime that I would honestly be completely unsurprised if it turned out that Pidge was pretending to be a boy.

Trans, though? Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5