• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
First Impressions: Netflix's Voltron Legendary Defender

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
otacon23

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
ANN - While original Voltron was adapted from Beast King GoLion and Dairugger, this version was completely made in the U.S. therefore NOT ANIME.

It's like going to a Sushi restaurant in the U.S. but owned and operated by Chinese people. Sure might look like real sushi on the outside but taste would be awful and not like real sushi.

Same with animation quality. This might be inspired by anime but it is NOT ANIME. Same with Avatar, Ben 10, etc.

PLease keep ANIMENEWSNETWORK, ANIME TOPICS ONLY. Meaning animation from Japan. Seeing this article on this site makes my cringe and shake my head at ANN.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
otacon23 wrote:
ANN - While original Voltron was adapted from Beast King GoLion and Dairugger, this version was completely made in the U.S. therefore NOT ANIME.

It's like going to a Sushi restaurant in the U.S. but owned and operated by Chinese people. Sure might look like real sushi on the outside but taste would be awful and not like real sushi.

Same with animation quality. This might be inspired by anime but it is NOT ANIME. Same with Avatar, Ben 10, etc.

PLease keep ANIMENEWSNETWORK, ANIME TOPICS ONLY. Meaning animation from Japan. Seeing this article on this site makes my cringe and shake my head at ANN.

Really? You revived a 10-year old account just to post this?
For the record, most of the sushi restaurants I know are run by Koreans and nobody minds.

As for DreamWorks' Voltron... I came to realize that while this franchise was somewhat significant to me, I sunny really care that much for it. Which is why I've met all reports pertaining to this incarnation with general apathy.
That being said, I guess I can endorse it now. Hopefully it can get the franchise back on its feet after all the unfortunate attempts.
And this is coming from someone who like Voltron Force.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
And it is only one episode in. Given the propensity for Avatar to have girls in big spots and portrayed as just as, if not more capable than male counterparts, I wouldn't worry. Even if so far the previews show one woman, who kinda looks like Mihoshi from Tenchi Muyo with white hair.

Yeah, I imagine the princess will do well in this.
Heh, she does kind of look like that lol.

shamisen the great wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
That swerve was the bright idea of Korra's creators, Mike and Bryan, while this show has everyone but them. Which believe me, is a good thing.
I take it you didn't like Korra then. I thought it was amazing myself and wish they were involved in Voltron. Don't get me wrong I'm still looking forward to it; but I can't help wanting to see what Mike and Brian would have done with the new Voltron

Same here, I really liked Korra (even if season 2 has been well-documented as kind of sloppy).
Looking forward to this too.
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Does this show even have a toyline coming out?

There had damn well better be a toyline coming out. The giant transforming robot toy was the best part of the original series. EDIT: I will fight anyone who thinks otherwise.

Seems like a no-brainer for Netflix, although now I have to wonder... have they done serious merchandising with any of their other original series?

Last edited by DrunkAyanami on Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
DrunkAyanami wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
Does this show even have a toyline coming out?

There had damn well better be a toyline coming out. The giant transforming robot toy was the best part of the original series.

Seems like a no no-brainer for Netflix, although now I have to wonder... have they done serious merchandising with any of their other original series?

Netflix and Dreamworks' Dinotrux has had a toy line since last year from Mattel. Nothing for Voltron has been announced yet, but the good news is Mattel had the Voltron license for some online exclusives a few years ago and it may still be active. If a line is announced by anyone it'll be at SDCC most likely.

Just don't get your hopes up too high, Voltron Force didn't get a toy line.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Netflix and Dreamworks' Dinotrux has had a toy line since last year from Mattel. Nothing for Voltron has been announced yet, but the good news is Mattel had the Voltron license for some online exclusives a few years ago and it may still be active. If a line is announced by anyone it'll be at SDCC most likely.

Just don't get your hopes up too high, Voltron Force didn't get a toy line.
Emerje

Thank you for that information. Also, I have now learned that there exists a cartoon about dinosaurs that are also trucks. That is amazing. I think I am partial to the Dozeratops myself.
otacon23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

Really? You revived a 10-year old account just to post this?
For the record, most of the sushi restaurants I know are run by Koreans and nobody minds.

As for DreamWorks' Voltron... I came to realize that while this franchise was somewhat significant to me, I sunny really care that much for it. Which is why I've met all reports pertaining to this incarnation with general apathy.
That being said, I guess I can endorse it now. Hopefully it can get the franchise back on its feet after all the unfortunate attempts.
And this is coming from someone who like Voltron Force.

I always visit this site, I just don't log in. Only logged in to post this because it annoys me when I see posts of American anime-inspired animation. It's not from Japan therefore not anime. Even on ANN's about page it says "Anime News Network was created as a news source that focuses on the medium of Japanese Animation(anime) and Japanese Comics (manga)." But you fail to see the point. Whether this franchise gets back on its feet or not, is not the point. The point is "It is not ANIME". I currently live and work in Japan. I showed all my coworkers (90% japanese, 10% westerners) the picture on this site and asked if they think it is Japanese animation. 72 out of 80 Japanese laughed and said No. 6 out of 9 Westerners said No. The others wasn't sure and just said maybe. It's a quality thing and that is what American animation lack. If you have grown up watching anime, you would be able to tell them apart. Like looking at twins. Sure they look the same but there is always something different that sets them apart.
But back to Voltron, The original Voltron, where it took animation from GoLion and Dairugger, created by Toei animation was good and IS ANIME because it was created in Japan. All other Voltron after that, thus being Third Dimension and Voltron Force, sucked because it lacked the quality that came with Toei.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:34 am Reply with quote
This website is run by Ameticans and what it covets is a bit more broad than the definition you posted. First of all, besides for anime and manfa coverage, there is also coverage and reviews of video games, as well as coverage of (and occasionally reviews of) live action materials based on anime and manga. In addition the site also occasionally covets Korean manwha and animation, and even Ametican comics, cartoons and live action movies based on anime, manga and light novels. People only seem to complain about the American cartoon coverage, or at least I've never noticed anyone complaining about ANN's review of Beautiful Girl Mari, or its news coverage of Pacific Rim.

This particular cartoon is relevant to the site in the same way any type of American adaptation of any anime or manga would be--should this site stop reporting on the Ghost in the Shell Hollywood movie, too?

Quality, especially animation quality is subjective, and a poor argument on what this site should cover.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
You can complain about this not being a pure Japanese production, but the reviews are absolutely glowing. Although that seems to be most Netflix originals not starting Adam Sandler. Orange is the New Black anyone?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
For starters otakon23 I edited your post to remove the thinly veiled insults. If you've been here this long you should know that sort of stuff is not allowed. Now that that is out of the way....

As to your complaint I think you need to relax. Shaking your head so much will give you whiplash. As the saying goes things change. Have you not seen the plethora of "Interest" articles the past year or two? What about or manga or video game articles, are those not allowed either? ANN covers a wide range of topics. Anime being the chief one but not the only. Yes this new Voltron is not anime itself but it is obviously done with an anime homage in mind. It's something anime fans would be interested in. I'll let the admin answer you further, if they want to, but suffice to say ANN tries to cover as many topics about anime or related to anime to reach as wide of an audience as possible. If you want 100% anime and nothing but than you should probably go to a Japanese website and follow them.
otacon23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
Agent355 - If I knew those others existed, I would be complaining as well but I only visit this site once a week or once a month to see about upcoming and released anime so there is a lot of articles I missed. Since Voltron was splashed on the main page, thus getting this complaint.

Regarding live action from anime such as Ghost in the Shell, which is another complaint...but I won't go there Very Happy...well, not here...imdb maybe. But since it's related, then I will give it a pass..not that I like GITS being a live action. For me would be another dragon ball...and I couldn't get through 5 seconds of that trailer..nor stand the pics...
*serenity now*...ok, back to the topic.

But since Golion and Dairugger is not made in Japan anymore, the Voltron's created after that is completely American and feel it's completely moved away from the original and since the drawing style is not anime, therefore I feel doesn't need to be on here.
Any American cartoon I want information about, I go to imdb. Reason for coming to ANN, is read about anime or anime related things.

BeatDigga - Again, missing the point. This could be the most awesome thing since sliced bread....but it's not anime. Not a fan of Adam Sandler? Smile or has he been on too much on netflix and you are getting bored of him? Smile "Conditshener ith better" Razz

Psycho 101 - Wasn't meant to insult him..but if it sounded like it, was unintentional. (it played in my head differently Smile)

Haven't read much articles on ANN in the past 2 years, only upcoming and current anime.
The great thing I liked about ANN was that it was anime or Japan related therefore games and manga are fine and usually anime is adapted from manga and games and visa versa.
As you say, it is done with anime homage. Same with Avatar, Ben 10 but you still won't find them on other true anime sites. I just don't want ANN to become one of those "Anime-homage, Anime-inspired animations IS anime" sites. Like putting a Lamborghini bodykit on a Toyota MR2. Person might be inspired to have his car look like a Lambo, but if people really look at it, they will realise it is not a Lambo and won't look at it anymore. Like a white rapper. Sure people might like it, but then yet, can be seen as a "tryhard / wannabe" Very Happy

As an Anime fan, sorry but I am only interested in Japanese animation from Japan thus Anime, and Japanese animation from Japan related things.
If you are going to start adding non-japanese cartoons, then maybe change the site to cartoonnewsnetwork.
I can't relax...it's my OCD...like going to a Yum Cha restaurant and eating dumplings with a fork. No No No..you need to use chopsticks. Very Happy
In time, I will probably forget this page existed. But will try not to look at the homepage next time and just quickly click on upcoming anime just in case I see more American cartoons ...and anything about FFXV: Kingsglave.(don't worry..i won't get started on this...I won't mention how they changed from the anime-style characters like in FF7:AC to western characters therefore don't look cool anymore...no no..I won't continue Razz) Maybe if I see articles for new season of Haikyuu or Prison school or SOA, I will easily be distracted and forget this existed. Smile
...and I follow this site because my Japanese is still at low-intermediate level and need to find out what is out and what is good to watch. Still figuring out how I passed that job interview to work in Japan though :S
#sukkar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:36 am Reply with quote
otacon23 wrote:

As an Anime fan, sorry but I am only interested in Japanese animation from Japan thus Anime, and Japanese animation from Japan related things.

Okay, cool, good for you? Does that mean you need to insult animation that isn't Japanese for a perceived lack of quality?

(most) People have a broad range of tastes and if they should be so lucky that two intersect at some point, there's nothing wrong with that. Even if this isn't an anime (which, btw, how many anime these days have major lifting done in South Korea or the Philippines?) it's directly related as a result of the impact anime has had in the West. Anime isn't an insular thing, just covering the shows and nothing else at all would be especially boring.
otacon23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:53 am Reply with quote
Well..if it's "trying" to be like anime - anime homage, anime inspired, whatever you guys call it..then yes...I do...i have to insult it Very Happy Because it's on this site...so I have to Very Happy It's in my OCD nature Very Happy Now let me get back to tapping the door handle 5 times, breathing in deep 3 times, and get angry at the person on who opened my back of chips from the bottom.Smile

Don't get me wrong, I do have a broad range of tastes and I do enjoy watching American animation as well such as Family guy, Simpsons, South park, Futurama, Looney tunes.

But I don't watch animation that is *like* anime when I can watch "anime". Plus I like watching in original Japanese dialogue. Rarely watch in English. Only watch in English if it can't be helped...such as Pokemon...and as you can see , that has screwed my life.
OCD with NFC (need for closure, not Near Field Communication) ...it never ends. He keeps "finding" new islands and new battles to do"...he was only meant to catch em all..at 150.
I know many animation companies use other countries to do key animation or background visuals like Naruto using South Korea. But the characters are mainly done by Japanese and the anime's dialogue is Japanese so still it's anime.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I just skimmed through the first 3 eps, and I won't be able to watch any more 'till Monday night (I have a huge 3-day family weekend thing starting tonight). Just wanted to post my initial impressions:
This is definitely kids' Saturday morning cartoon fare, the quality kind for 9-14 year olds that respects their intelligence. It actually reminds me a lot of the revamped Thundercats series that came out a few years ago. But based on interviews with the creators, I expect it will get darker as it goes on, and perhaps more nuanced.

Also (spoilers for ep 3): spoiler[I was right! I was right! I get an internet cookie! Pidge is, or at least was, a girl! But is he trans, or classic anime "girl passing as boy"? And if its the latter, what are Pidge's reasons for doing so? And will he come out to the rest of the group? So many questions!]
ConnormonCat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:00 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
This is definitely kids' Saturday morning cartoon fare, the quality kind for 9-14 year olds that respects their intelligence. It actually reminds me a lot of the revamped Thundercats series that came out a few years ago. But based on interviews with the creators, I expect it will get darker as it goes on, and perhaps more nuanced.]

That definitely seems to be the case with a lot of different shows lately. Thundercats, Symbiotic Titan, Young Justice etc. All I'm hoping is, unlike those shows, it doesn't get cancelled. RIP all beautiful cartoons that have lost their lives to cancellation. You will me missed.

But on my actual opinions, I was very impressed with how this show turned out. It blended the line between a show about a giant robot and lion fighter pilots and storyline and character dynamics that, as you said, respected their intelligence. I'm raving about this show, it was all I could hope for out a modern day Voltron.

Agent355 wrote:
Also (spoilers for ep 3): spoiler[I was right! I was right! I get an internet cookie! Pidge is, or at least was, a girl! But is he trans, or classic anime "girl passing as boy"? And if its the latter, what are Pidge's reasons for doing so? And will he come out to the rest of the group? So many questions!]

spoiler[I was hoping for this. Not only do I find myself enjoying that well worn cliche that has stuck around since I read Rose of Versailles, but we also get representation (regardless of whether they push a trans message or not) and a female pilot directly on the team; with the possibility of the Princess on the team if we get more seasons. As expected of the people behind Korra!]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5