• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Persona 5 Debuts in Americas on February 14, 2017 on PS4/PS3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Niyari wrote:
any news on the cast? not going to bother waiting if it's the same 3 voice actors in every SMT game.

for some reason I think it's Bryce Papenbrook's turn to be a Persona protag, lately he's been the voice of just as much anime main characters as Johnny Young bosh and Yuri lowenthal
I had that thought too, but I can't help but feel they'll cast JYB again. Phantom seems like Johnny's trademark role. I could possibly see Chris Patton in the role though, but JYB fits it perfectly.
DRWii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
The part that baffles me is why its going to take five months more. They announced a US release alongside the Japanese announcement back in 2013 when the game was scheduled to be released in 2014 for both territories. So they would have been working on the localization the whole time to meet that release date.

Uh, no, they were not announced at the same time; the Japanese announcement was in November 2013 (for "Winter 2014"), while the US announcement was 3 months later (for "2015"). And in an interview from last July, Yu Namba mentioned (when asked about their localization process) that he was "not sure how it’s going to be with Persona 5," which is a pretty strong hint that localization hadn't even started. So even if they started soon after the last delay, they've been working on it less than a year.

As for the length between the JP and US release, the two most likely answers are
A) They weren't given materials early enough to confidently release it this year, or
B) Atlus is forcing their US division to not release the game too close to the Japanese release out of fear (fair or not) that it will negatively affect sales.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Super excited! That LE looks amazing! Already pre-ordered at gamestop! Anime smile Now all I need is for Atlus to announce the wonderful English voice cast! So excited! Though I'd assume they have an English trailer ready to show off at E3.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Dessa wrote:
My thoughts exactly. Too bad other companies aren't thinking of us with releases.

It's nice that Atlus is doing this but, the PS4 came out in 2013, can't expect these companies to keep up support for the PS3 this late in the game.

Actually, I was referring more to games that were either a) announced for PS3 (which this was, originally, PS3-only), and switched to PS4-only, or b) released in Japan as PS3/PS4, and released in the US as PS4-only. IIRC, Star Ocean 5 is like that, the US is only getting the PS4 version, there's a PS3 version in Japan as well.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
If you look closely...Morgana has been moved to block Anne's cleavage. I do not believe John Hardin. Wink
hack5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
The premium edition for North America is pathetic by comparison to the Japanese Premium Edition.

ATLUS lied again, they said 2016 for NA. Liars.

Will the Limited Edition have the normal PS4 case, or just the steel book? I like the normal art better.

This!! i am so sick of their lies.Its been eight years,EIGHT YEARS.Its the same thing over and over again its this summer ,this fall,next winter so on so on.The thing is we do not need an English dub just text translation,most of us will be playing on jp audio anyway.Eight years !!shakes head !!to some it may seem like that's okay but there are some pissed off fans like me who have been waiting this long and not going to give in and say quote "well that is okay it has lots off other games to play,not enough time to play or ff15 is coming out also so its good that i don't have to buy both well u know what i don't give rats ass about ff15,lost interest a long time ago since ff10,cant stand the new combat mode.Anyway i am not out to offend anyone i'm just so pissed so i needed to rant a little.This is what I think of 14th feb 2017 release date shows middle finger Rolling Eyes
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
If you look closely...Morgana has been moved to block Anne's cleavage. I do not believe John Hardin. Wink
You're right, Morgana was moved to block it. Why the hell did they do that? Don't tell me this is more of that localization BS. I thought Tokyo Mirage Sessions was gonna be an isolated case because Nintendo, but this... I seriously hope it doesn't go any farther.
DRWii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
You're right, Morgana was moved to block it. Why the hell did they do that? Don't tell me this is more of that localization BS. I thought Tokyo Mirage Sessions was gonna be an isolated case because Nintendo, but this... I seriously hope it doesn't go any farther.

Here's the explanation.
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Nyren wrote:

Here's the explanation.
Oh thank god. I realize this is such a trivial thing to get upset over, but I just find it ridiculous that all of a sudden games can't be fantasies anymore in some aspects because it doesn't jive with reality or whatever explanation people come up with to try and impose political agenda's on video games.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:

As for the length between the JP and US release, the two most likely answers are
A) They weren't given materials early enough to confidently release it this year, or
B) Atlus is forcing their US division to not release the game too close to the Japanese release out of fear (fair or not) that it will negatively affect sales.

@Nyren, I'm going with A here. Original Persona 4 had a pretty fast localization, wikipedia says JP release was July 2008 and US release was November 2008. I'm guessing making Persona 4 was a fairly quick process so the development team could release a lot of material to give the US side a head start on the localization. I imagine Persona 5 was a huge undertaking and this time the developers were probably too wrapped up in work to release enough early material to the US side.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Niyari wrote:
any news on the cast? not going to bother waiting if it's the same 3 voice actors in every SMT game.

How dare you besmirch the redundancy of casting Yuri Lowenthal and Johnny Young Bosch in specific roles in Persona. Laughing
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
I had that thought too, but I can't help but feel they'll cast JYB again. Phantom seems like Johnny's trademark role. I could possibly see Chris Patton in the role though, but JYB fits it perfectly.
I don't think Chris Patton will happen because he's a Texas VA and Persona's English dubs are produced in LA, he doesn't exactly switch between the two places like Vic Mignogna, and if Johnny is going to be in it again, he should not be another protagonist as he was already Yu Narukami, if anything if he's in the game he'll probably get demoted to voice the bro character like what happened with Yuri lowenthal in P4
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Here's the explanation.

Sounds a bit like PR damage control, especially the jab about tin foil hats.... Atlus has censored boobs before in cases where they can't use a logo as an excuse.
DRWii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Atlus has censored boobs before in cases where they can't use a logo as an excuse.

The only example I can think of (assuming this is about covers) is "Catherine," and that was a Wal-Mart exclusive; everywhere else had the same cover as the Japanese version, minus the katakana.
Sifixs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:13 am Reply with quote
hack5 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
The premium edition for North America is pathetic by comparison to the Japanese Premium Edition.

ATLUS lied again, they said 2016 for NA. Liars.

Will the Limited Edition have the normal PS4 case, or just the steel book? I like the normal art better.

This!! i am so sick of their lies.Its been eight years,EIGHT YEARS.Its the same thing over and over again its this summer ,this fall,next winter so on so on.The thing is we do not need an English dub just text translation,most of us will be playing on jp audio anyway.Eight years !!shakes head !!to some it may seem like that's okay but there are some pissed off fans like me who have been waiting this long and not going to give in and say quote "well that is okay it has lots off other games to play,not enough time to play or ff15 is coming out also so its good that i don't have to buy both well u know what i don't give rats ass about ff15,lost interest a long time ago since ff10,cant stand the new combat mode.Anyway i am not out to offend anyone i'm just so pissed so i needed to rant a little.This is what I think of 14th feb 2017 release date shows middle finger Rolling Eyes

Agree, who cares about the boy band (FF15), forget it i m going to buy Japanese version
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4