• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Girls & Panzer Film Sells Nearly 1.3 Million Tickets for 2.2 Billion Yen

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:20 am Reply with quote
So does the Girls und Panzer movie technically be considered the best-selling sports anime movie in the 2010s so far? Laughing

jirg1901 wrote:
Garupan was a huge mass market success for a reason. In a lot of ways it's the military equivalent of Love Live. (large all likable cast, upbeat tone, innocent content, strong real world tie ins)

The movie is also spectacular, "dense", and definitely something that would get people to come back to see it again.

There's also another thing to considered; the movie pretty much felt like a Hollywood blockbuster action movie. Granted I felt the prologue/1st act was a little too long, the rest was paced comfortably. And there's the final act where nearly every girl group got a chance to shine which sort of reminded of the Avengers movie.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
jirg1901 wrote:
Garupan was a huge mass market success . . .

What do you mean by mass market?
I am just curious to know if I am correct in thinking that Girls und Panzer appeals to a much wider audience than just what people here in the forum call otaku.

It seems to me that people here are misjudging and underestimating the franchise. But I do not know if I am right because I am not in Japan where I could get a better idea of who is interested in it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I am just curious to know if I am correct in thinking that Girls und Panzer appeals to a much wider audience than just what people here in the forum call otaku.

It seems to me that people here are misjudging and underestimating the franchise. But I do not know if I am right because I am not in Japan where I could get a better idea of who is interested in it.

Back in May 2013 I visited Ooarai in Ibaraki prefecture, the town featured in Girls und Panzer, and it appeared to me that the whole town was supporting the franchise.

Later that year when attending a concert unrelated to the franchise I met someone who lives in Ooarai and we've kept in touch since. I might try to ask him about this (I speak very little Japanese and he speaks very little English but we manage to communicate enough to meet up again before another concert).
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

Of course, it appeals to large swathes of military otaku who normally couldn't care less about anime.
HikariNoEiyuu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:23 pm Reply with quote
This is terrific news, but I want a North American Blu-ray release of the Anzio OVA, the movie and it's accompanying OVA. Been waiting an awfully long time for them, and it's driving me crazy. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2