• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sweetness & Lightning (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
The more I watch Kohei's incompetence in the kitchen, the harder it is to believe. He burnt eggs. How does a man go his whole life without learning something as simple as cooking eggs? I mean, he has to be 30+ years old right now (You heat the pan, you drop the egg. Done.). Also, last episode, Tsumugi was simply blown away by the ham and bread Kohei slapped together for breakfast (I'm not even going to call that thing a sandwich). Has he, as a father, not made Tsumugi even that in all those months since his wife died? I mean, I understand the premise is a single father learning to cook, but, come on, that's just a little extreme. Can't even put ham on bread...Yea right...

Still, aside from that, I'm still enjoying the show. Nice and warm.
Clarste

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Japan is pretty big on gender roles, so he probably never even tried to cook before. He probably jumped straight from having his mom cook for him, to eating packaged meals and ramen as a bachelor, to having his wife cook for him.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
@Treeborn

A distant relative in his 80s was completely helpless in the kitchen after his wife died. He had never cooked a meal in his life, never shopped for food. His grandson had to show him how to operate simple appliances like the microwave and coffee maker. He had a couple of college degrees. All his life his only involvement with food was eating it.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Was I the only one bothered by how the teacher handled the incident at school? Mikio was in the wrong from the start, he was acting petty. The teacher should've cut him off when Tsumugi's friend confirmed that she had given her the clay willingly. And she didn't even scold him when he called Tsumugi a "thief". I know adults are generally not supposed to take sides and let kids sort the problems on their own, but that was a harsh accusation and the teacher should've put a stop to it, she acted very incompetently imho. I found it negligent that she just stood idle and allowed the issue to escalate to the point that it became physically violent and that it affected Tsumugi so much. I was very pleased to see Mikio's mom actually scold him and call him out on lying and initiating the scuffle.

Besides, it was friggin clay, it's not like it becomes unusable once it's shaped in a certain way, Tsumugi could play with it and then give it back to her friends some other day, they didn't even need to buy more.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
You heat the pan, you drop the egg. Done.

Lies! The only way I'm allowed to have eggs in my house is scrambled or hard-boiled. I tried poaching once, what a mess. If I want my preference of over-easy, I have to go to a restaurant. I'm not normally a violent person, but the only tantrums I've ever had where I'm actually throwing things involve trying to fry an egg with a liquid center. I've tried every one of the hundreds of tips and tricks people have offered, but when it's time to turn it over, I might as well just go ahead and jab a fork into it. I feel my blood pressure rising just typing this.

Also, if knives are involved in the cooking, I will cut myself. Kitchen shears have been a real boon to me and my bandage budget.

As for the episode, I'm glad we finally got to see mom, and I loved Tsumugi's blue pumpkin head barrier.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:58 am Reply with quote
I always thought that an fried egg with a liquid center looks very unappetizing. That's why I always scramble them unless I do an omelette which does have a slightly liquid center, but somehow that's different.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
The more I watch Kohei's incompetence in the kitchen, the harder it is to believe. He burnt eggs. How does a man go his whole life without learning something as simple as cooking eggs?

His student actually figured it out, he is afraid of undercooking food, he is afraid that it would make his daughter sick so he leaves it longer to make sure it is safe and ends up burning it. When I was a teenager in the scouting movement I went to a camp and we were left to our own devices in cooking. With the tools we had our dinner ended up as hard rice and undercooked sausages, it was not a very nice meal and I think it caused some digestion problems. To this day it has probably affected me in how I make sure food is fully cooked, and why I have the motto that meat needs a little bit of black, because I am sure as hell not going to let myself get sick. It is not like I don't know how to cook a sausage, I have still on occasion cooked at sausage sizzles, a type of barbecue fundraising here in Australia, but I am cautious.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Also, if knives are involved in the cooking, I will cut myself.

I have kind of been the same way, it was not cooking but I have a scar from using a lino tool, I guess I still remember also cutting tomatoes before suddenly seeing a different type of red.

And totally the cutting onion thing. It was only recently that I had to cut one during a plan to make sausage rolls, and I was a little baffled by it. For the record, if you freeze half that you don't need at the time, do not defrost it when you want to use the other half, it becomes a soggy mess that is almost impossible to cut with a knife. I still need to figure out where my father went wrong when following instructions on making hamburgers, the menu is still on the fridge.

I think that the realism to a lot of Tsumugi's actions are great. I love everything in this anime that has the pig sheep (galigali).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
@Gina Szanboti

If you want a fried egg with a liquid center (I don't), don't try to flip it. Instead take some of the oil you are frying it in in a spoon and pour it over the center a couple of time. The hot grease will cook the upper surface without solidifying the center.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
He had a couple of college degrees. All his life his only involvement with food was eating it.

In his mild defence, he chose perhaps the most immediately gratifying form of relationship that a man can have with his sources of nourishment.
Quote:
If you want a fried egg with a liquid center (I don't), don't try to flip it. Instead take some of the oil you are frying it in in a spoon and pour it over the center a couple of time.

A quick flip, followed by the most brisk of moments spent on the proverbial sunny-side, will still produce a mildly molten centre. 'Tis all a matter of the pan's forgivingness. Some will offer a sleek, uniform cooking surface, others will prove stubborn and contrary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
@Zin5ki

It was his generation, (WWII) he had a high powered job and his wife never worked outside the house. That was how both of them saw their roles in life. My point is that since the Japanese still mostly expect a wife and mother to be a homemaker it is likely that a suddenly widowed man with a child would have no housekeeping much less cooking skills.

I more or less learned to cook over a campfire in my teens. As a result in my second year of college when I moved off campus, cooking where I could control the heat was easy. Also just before I left for college my mother showed me how to wash and iron (no permanent press then) my own clothes. My cleaning skills were a bit basic when I got my first apartment though. I fortunately never had to deal with a child.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
A quick flip, followed by the most brisk of moments spent on the proverbial sunny-side, will still produce a mildly molten centre.

No, a quick flip will produce broken egg yolk running all over the pan. Mad

Maybe I'll try the oil on top thing, but I don't normally use enough oil to scoop any up.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
A quick flip, followed by the most brisk of moments spent on the proverbial sunny-side, will still produce a mildly molten centre.

No, a quick flip will produce broken egg yolk running all over the pan. Mad

Maybe I'll try the oil on top thing, but I don't normally use enough oil to scoop any up.

I think a frying pan with a transparent cover should solve your problem. No flipping necessary - just keep the cover on, watch the eggs and scoop them out before the yolks harden. I'm pretty sure the one I have was designed with fried eggs in mind.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Picky eating. Getting kids to eat food they do not like has got to be one of the biggest challenges for a parent. It kind of almost worked, but she spotted them and managed to get him to eat the peppers. Kids do tend to have a dislike of bitter things, it is like an evolutionary reaction to avoid poisons, and fitting of that is that vegetables tend to be bitter because they are trying to stop themselves from being eaten, what is a poison to some is flavour to us.

Things like her casting the spell and flattening the vegetables kind of reminded of Naru. Just too cute.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:33 am Reply with quote
I'd be more than happy to take those red peppers off his hands. If they weren't so expensive, I'd probably eat them like potato chips.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:55 am Reply with quote
As a former child picky eater I'll have to side with Tsumugi on this one. I wouldn't eat a lot of things when I was her age including green pepper. I think one of the most counter effective things a parent can do is to try to force a child to eat something they don't want. My family used to joke that my worst meal would be stewed tomatoes, mashed potatoes and liver. Do families still serve stewed tomatoes or liver these days?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7