• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sweetness & Lightning (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Another solid episode.

The family friendly atmosphere between the main cast offers a very charming story. Also, I kinda like how they took a realistic and fun approach at making the food for this episode. Tsugumi is somewhat of a picky eater though, not that I'm surprised as kids her age tends to be like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Everyone is a picky eater. We all have our likes and dislikes and no one should be forced to eat something they don't want to. Even as an adult I hate peppers and I find white sauces to be absolutely disgusting.

Glad to see some insight into Kotori's situation at school. It was always odd how she'd be eating by herself in a deserted corner of the school.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Back on the first page of this thread I questioned them having so much fun eating just plain white rice with no seasoning or topping. Today I got the first volume of the manga. At the end of the chapter which covered that episode, after they taste the rice, Kotori opens the refrigerator and finds pickled nozawana, miso beef and iwanori seaweed. She says "pile 'em on and lets eat". I have no idea what those would taste like, but they didn't eat only plain rice.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Argh, such a waste of tasty doughnuts. I was almost screaming at my screen "Don't put em all at once!" Wouldn't it be common sense to try cooking only one at first to see how it goes? Maybe put in a small piece of dough in there first. I remember there being a rule in deep frying that you check the tempature by putting a small piece of dough or bread and if it cooks in a set amount of time then the tempature is right. But the last time I tried deep frying was in junior high school so I don't know.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
With respect to episode four, I would wager that most of us saw our own childhoods in Tsumugi's pepper-related perils! Admittedly, the vegetable vexations from our nonages were probably more problematic and certainly less endearing, but anime has to diverge from reality somewhere...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zork

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Episode 5

Argh, such a waste of tasty doughnuts. I was almost screaming at my screen "Don't put em all at once!" Wouldn't it be common sense to try cooking only one at first to see how it goes?.

In their defense earlier in the show they watched a cook place multiple croquettes into a deep fryer. Also they never made doughnuts before and were probably hurrying to make and eat them. That might be the reason Kotori missed the part her mother had in the recipe about checking the temperature of the oil.

Does anyone know what the difference is between strong flour and weak flour? I never heard those terms before. Question
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
It's regarding the gluten content. Weak flour would be cake flour with lower gluten (~8%) and strong flour would be bread flour with high gluten (12-14%).

After the first couple episodes I figured I'd just watch these while eating dinner, but what happens is I lose my appetite for my own food and want to eat what they're eating. :/

I've also really been craving donuts the last couple of days, but it's such a pain to get to the shops at all, let alone early enough, so I've been waiting for it to pass. Then this episode. ::sigh::
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:50 am Reply with quote
Doughnuts are like my biggest weakness, one of the food I find the hardest to resist. Someone brought home a pack of cinnamon doughnuts today, the day getting them tends to be the best time, I had a couple already, but after watching this episode I have to eat another. *munch*

I would think that the best thing she could have done when she found Tsumugi was with some strange men would have been to confront the situation straight away and find out how Tsumugi knew him, doing it in a crowded area would have been better than waiting until he took her into a secluded park or who knows where. But I guess it is all to create the adorable situations.

Tsumugi finding the idea of a donut without a hole funny was kind of cute. Also, squeaky shoes. I still don't quite understand why she was so hesitant to eat doughnuts as a snack.

Side note: In writing I kept wondering if I should spell it "donut" or "doughnut", end up checking to see what would be the proper or most common spelling used.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
I cringed when Kouhei dropped the donuts by hand into the boiling oil. I'm surprised he didn't get burned by the splash back. Use chopsticks the next time, okay?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Side note: In writing I kept wondering if I should spell it "donut" or "doughnut", end up checking to see what would be the proper or most common spelling used.

Settling such a matter is tantamount to choosing which country's spelling conventions to adopt, I should say with all due restraint and neutrality...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
So did Kotori just hit on Sensei who then calmly brushed her off with a "thanks" or is she just that crazy for food that everything is an analogy
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

What a great and delicious episode. Gyoza party!

I like how they got together the majority of the main cast including Yagi and Shinobu this time to make it even more lively. The gyoza looks delicious as well, been awhile since I've eaten those irl. I also love how detailed they went about making that, quite realistic imo. The colorful artwork of the food always impresses me about the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I like it when Kotori, Sensei and Tsumugi make food by themselves. Just the three of em and no one else. So I thought it was great when Shinobu brought it up how she doesn't want to destroy their little group. How Kotori and Sensei started freaking out when Shinobu wanted to do something that wasn't in the recipe was funny. It's understandable too.

Now I was fairly certain that Yagi and Shinobu were related, but it doesn't seem to be the case?

Last edited by Cam0 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Yagi is Kohei's friend from college, wasn't it? High school? Shinobu is Kotori's friend from school. What made you think they were related?

Damn this show, now I want potstickers.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Yagi is Kohei's friend from college, wasn't it? High school? Shinobu is Kotori's friend from school. What made you think they were related?

The opening. I thought that they might have been siblings since they both have blonde hair too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7