• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo to Host Macross Creator Shoji Kawamori

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
As many issues as Macross Delta has (tho it's gotten A LOT better lately), it's still really fun in the end. This man is a legend to us mecha lovers. Anime Expo goers are so lucky to have so many great guests this year.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
WELL! I was like "I'm not going across the country for AX unless they get a guest I really want!"

And with that said I'll be checking my schedule at work first thing tomorrow.
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
You guys get the best guests! (>.<) I've had the honor of meeting Mikimoto Haruhiko and really want to meet Kawamori Shoji to say thank you for all the amazing mecha! (^.^;)
vision33r

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
As many issues as Macross Delta has (tho it's gotten A LOT better lately), it's still really fun in the end. This man is a legend to us mecha lovers. Anime Expo goers are so lucky to have so many great guests this year.

What issues? The anime and the music is doing very well in Japan.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
it would be interesting if somebody asks what he thinks about Harmony Gold's bullshit with his franchise...
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:42 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
WELL! I was like "I'm not going across the country for AX unless they get a guest I really want!"

And with that said I'll be checking my schedule at work first thing tomorrow.

Enjoy standing in the autograph line at 4 am (if not earlier) if you're hoping to get his autograph. The way AX handles their autographs now is such a fustercluck.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:18 am Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
it would be interesting if somebody asks what he thinks about Harmony Gold's bullshit with his franchise...

He's frustrated of course. It's touched upon a bit in this interview:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/12/10/shoji-kawamori-the-creator-hollywood-copies-but-never-credits/#5eb59ae31683
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:18 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
johnnysasaki wrote:

He's frustrated of course. It's touched upon a bit in this interview:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/12/10/shoji-kawamori-the-creator-hollywood-copies-but-never-credits/#5eb59ae31683

True, but hopefully we do get new details. Because I feel for the Kawamori. His creation got hijacked by Harmony Gold and he very likely won't see a dime from the movie.

I really hope ANN is there to record any possible comments.
bumbayker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:05 am Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:

I do hope he calls out on Harmony Gold and gives them a piece of his mind. They don't deserve to use the Macross brand after keeping it hostage from most of the world for the past 2 decades.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:53 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna try to get either my Macross Goldbook or Macross Design Works signed.. wish my luck.. I will probably need it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
bumbayker wrote:
I do hope he calls out on Harmony Gold and gives them a piece of his mind. They don't deserve to use the Macross brand after keeping it hostage from most of the world for the past 2 decades.

SWAnimefan wrote:
Because I feel for the Kawamori. His creation got hijacked by Harmony Gold and he very likely won't see a dime from the movie.

johnnysasaki wrote:

It is more factual to state that the Macross franchise is hung up over the legal wrangling between Harmony Gold, Tatsunoko Production, and Big West. Other than those three companies, no one else knows who the bad guy is in that party. Japanese companies are no angels either, unless they are Evangelion angels. Think people have forgotten that power play not so long ago in the trading card game industry.
I think much of the hate for Harmony Gold, comes from the belief that Robotech is a bastardized product that taints the original series, and is the cause of the current problems. Fans want the pure powder.
I want Macross Frontier discs as much as the next Macross fan. But I prefer to give Harmony Gold, the innocent until proven guilty belief. I also think, the fact that Harmony Gold has not been brought to court speaks volumes about what Tatsunoko Productions and Big West really believe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1