• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Love Live! Sunshine!! is Summer 2016's Most Anticipated Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I actually feel nervous for the Love Live Sunshine staff; they have so much pressure onto them in order to live up to their ridiculously successful predecessors. Anime hyper

Which this is going to be interesting for me to check it out since I haven't seen the original series so I won't be prone to make rash comparisons. There's also Orange I'm curious about since I'm somewhat a sucker to time-traveling stories, and the premise seemed a bit more low-key than say Boku Machi. Hopefully that one doesn't end in a whimper.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I actually feel nervous for the Love Live Sunshine staff; they have so much pressure onto them in order to live up to their ridiculously successful predecessors. Anime hyper

Which this is going to be interesting for me to check it out since I haven't seen the original series so I won't be prone to make rash comparisons. There's also Orange I'm curious about since I'm somewhat a sucker to time-traveling stories, and the premise seemed a bit more low-key than say Boku Machi. Hopefully that one doesn't end in a whimper.

I just find there's far too many of them nowadays, especially of the melodramatic kind. I know it's trendy but that can't really be all that's popular with Western fans from now until forever. It kind of feels like it's going that way though. The Western communities absolute hard-on for what I just find to be ultra weepy melodramatic stories with some form of do-over element to them just kind of puzzles me at this point and has led to something of a disconnect. I don't know about some people but I just didn't get into anime for shows to try to depress me and make me feel sad all the damn time. Different stroke obviously. Confused
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
A lot of shows look very interesting this summer. I voted for ReLife (it has the most interesting premise), Sweetness & Lightening (which looks like it'll give Barakamon/Handa-kun a run for its money as the sweetest, cutest comedy) and Mob Psycho 100 ( I just saw the trailer and I am hyped!) I haven't checked out the manga for any of these series, so I'm just basing it on first impressions of the PVs.
WingKing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Easy choices for me. Food Wars 2, Rewrite, and Love Live Sunshine are the three shows that I've been looking forward to for months. Between those three, plus Orange, Amanchu, and the second half of Macross Delta, I already have a full season's slate (6-8 shows being a typical full season for me) before I've even looked at anything else.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Love Live may be popular, but thats only in Japan. I barely see LL mentioned so much by any other anime fans worldwide unlike Attack On Titan and Sword Art Online.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least New Game made the rankings, though I'd like to see it higher. Odd not to see Amanchu. Really looking forward to Junichi Satou tag-teaming with Kenichi Kasai and with Amano providing the source material I really thought there would be more interest in Japan.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
3rei, Shokugeki, and Masou Gakuen are the ones I'm anticipating.

The second will be great, the first will be great if it isn't plagued by six episodes of filler like the last season, and the third has light beams in the PV, so it's already a lost cause.

Ahh well, there's always BDs.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
No surprise to see LL! Sunshine topping the chart. I did enjoy the first two seasons of LL!, but I hate change, so I approach these new girls cautiously. Will be watching though!

As for what I'm most excited for... It's hard because there is so much good stuff coming out this summer! Top three though, I guess 91 Days, Boueibu S2, and Cheer Boys!!. I really wanna see DAYS too. Summer is gunna be a good season though!
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
LOVE LIVE WILLS IT!

So hyped for this summer! Very Happy

grooven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't even pick all the shows I was interested in D:

I picked Rewrite, Planetarian, and Orange. But i'm looking forward to so many more.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Man, I was pretty excited for this season a couple of days ago for whatever reason. I thought I had a whole slew of shows to be excited for, but after looking through the poll options, I'm realizing how few of them I am REALLY excited for. Mob Psycho, New Game, and Sweetness and Lightning are up there, but I'm sort of cautiously optimistic toward 91 Days, Handa-kun(is it really going to be as good without Naru? I doubt it), ReLife, Sunshine, Orange, Qualidea Code, and Taboo Tattoo. I expect Food Wars and Seven Deadly Sins to be strong still, of course, but I'm not hugely excited for them. They are just more of solid franchises. Fate/kaleid is usually fun, and I sort of like that it's just loads of unabashed yuri/loli fanservice. I heard this season will apparently pick up the pacing on the plot though, if it follows the manga, at least. So that could be cool.
And then there is Berserk. Who knows, it could be good. I'm not hugely against CG, but it's not ideal either.

Hikarunu wrote:
Love Live may be popular, but thats only in Japan. I barely see LL mentioned so much by any other anime fans worldwide unlike Attack On Titan and Sword Art Online.

It depends on where you hang out. LL is certainly popular in most of the internet groups I'm in. Not to mention that the NISA Premium Edition for season one sold out once before it was even released and was reprinted 3 times after that. The second season sold out in just a few months as well. And the movie was temporarily unavailable for pre-order due to high demand, even though it hasn't been released yet. I would say that its popularity isn't exclusive to Japan entirely.
If only Wake Up Girls and Idolmaster could share some of this popularity...
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Hikarunu wrote:

It depends on where you hang out. LL is certainly popular in most of the internet groups I'm in. Not to mention that the NISA Premium Edition for season one sold out once before it was even released and was reprinted 3 times after that. The second season sold out in just a few months as well. And the movie was temporarily unavailable for pre-order due to high demand, even though it hasn't been released yet. I would say that its popularity isn't exclusive to Japan entirely.

Love Live is very popular here in the Philippines, much more than IdolMaster. The anime was aired a few times and the movie was screened. I wish I got into a theater and watched the movie though. :_;
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
Happy to see Love Live! Sunshine!! do so well amongst women. One of the seiyuu (Suwawa who voices Kanan) tweeted about how she was very grateful to all the women who turned up to one of the seiyuu events so I guess it isn't too surprising.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
Sure it's not as popular as the shows you mentioned (Worldwide that is, Love Live is more popular than the both of them combined in Japan) due in part to the fact that it hasn't got that 'epic action series' appeal. But to say it's not popular at all? You're obviously not looking in the right places.

NISA didn't plan anything special for the show at first. But something funny happened and it ended up performing well above their expectations. Some of their releases don't sell out until months after their release, but Love Live managed to sell out before it was even released making it easily one of NISA's most popular titles. Then came the movie screenings, then came the dub announcement and then they started selling imported merchandise. The fact that they pushed to get the movie dubbed just 6 months after the Japanese Blu-ray means they're obviously seeing results.

It's by far the most popular show in its genre at the very least.

relyat08 wrote:
Wake Up Girls just isn't popular at all. Not in Japan, and especially not over here. Idolm@ster's situation is a bit more complicated.

Idolm@ster has a huge fanbase but the problem is it's almost exclusively male otaku. Not only does it not have the same mainstream appeal as Love Live, but the fanbase has a 90 to 10 male to female ratio (Unlike Love Live which is almost 50 50).

As for why it's not popular over here? Well the explanation for that is much more simple. The guys up in Japan haven't even bothered to try and market the show to western audiences. The games? Not one of them are localised. The anime? On Crunchyroll but region locked to the US. You can however buy barebones sub only sets of Puchim@s and Xenoglossia from Funimation and Sentai. That's it.

What legal options do I have for watching Love Live in Australia? Both Seasons on Blu-ray and DVD (Movie coming in August), the entire show subbed and dubbed on Animelab and both seasons subbed on Crunchyroll. And to add to that I can play SIF in in English. What legal options do I have as an Australian to watch Idolm@ster? Well... I can stream Cinderella Girls subtitled on Daisuki. Y-Yay.
+ 光

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:21 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

I doubt it will be. As much as the Love Live movie existed for the sake of callbacks to the series and for giving the audience exactly what they wanted, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Sunshine is painfully self-aware of the expectations that current LL fans have coming in to it and is built for that… which would then make it more difficult to pick up as a first look at the franchise.

The existing two seasons are among the most popular anime of the decade in Japan… I'd go so far as to say the essential entries in the anime canon for this decade so far are Madoka Magica, Attack on Titan, and Love Live. So if you're not interested in the two seasons of the show that have already achieved landmark status, maybe the whole franchise isn't gonna be your thing (and that's totally fine, BTW, idols are not everyone's bag)

Sorry, I think I meant this:

+ 光 wrote:
I wonder if Sunshine! is a good place to jump into the franchise? I honestly don't want to watch the other two (three?) seasons, because I already have my hands full trying to catch up to D.Gray-man...

Thanks for the answer. I'll definitely try the first season some day. I just didn't up until know because I thought it only appealed to men. This poll has proved me somewhat wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4