• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Love Live! Sunshine!! is Summer 2016's Most Anticipated Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:04 am Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:
I wonder if Sunshine! is a good place to jump into the franchise? I honestly don't want to watch the other two (three?) seasons, and I already have my hands full trying to catch up to D.Gray-man...

You can definitely start with Sunshine!! The only connection is that the new main character is a fan of the original group & one of the girls transferred from their school.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:54 am Reply with quote
Sunshine will almost certainly be a case of second verse, same as the first - only with slightly different character designs, reworked versions of the same songs & a new cast of younger & cheaper VAs. I doubt it will stray from the proven formula of enthusiastic but not very talented &/or unsure of herself girl gathers group of one note companions to find friendship & make their high school years memorable before graduating into obscurity (& I say that as a fan of the show).
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:23 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely looking forward to the new Love Live! Sunshine!! and Regalia of the three sacred stars as well. Very Happy
LightYapper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:46 am Reply with quote
My votes are given to Orange, Cute Boys High Earth Defense Club LOVE LOVE, and Saiki Kusuo. I liked the original, but I'm pretty skeptical as to whether Sunshine can grab me (especially due to that enormous fan base), and I'll see how AMANCHU! performs (made by J. C. Staff).

@Hikarunu
While at least I don't see that many people debating about LL here in ANN any more than SAO and AoT, but it's popularity is really high worldwide, from how its game is available worldwide (and is really hot).
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

It depends on where you hang out. LL is certainly popular in most of the internet groups I'm in. Not to mention that the NISA Premium Edition for season one sold out once before it was even released and was reprinted 3 times after that. The second season sold out in just a few months as well. And the movie was temporarily unavailable for pre-order due to high demand, even though it hasn't been released yet. I would say that its popularity isn't exclusive to Japan entirely.
If only Wake Up Girls and Idolmaster could share some of this popularity...

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Sure it's not as popular as the shows you mentioned (Worldwide that is, Love Live is more popular than the both of them combined in Japan) due in part to the fact that it hasn't got that 'epic action series' appeal. But to say it's not popular at all? You're obviously not looking in the right places.

NISA didn't plan anything special for the show at first. But something funny happened and it ended up performing well above their expectations. Some of their releases don't sell out until months after their release, but Love Live managed to sell out before it was even released making it easily one of NISA's most popular titles. Then came the movie screenings, then came the dub announcement and then they started selling imported merchandise. The fact that they pushed to get the movie dubbed just 6 months after the Japanese Blu-ray means they're obviously seeing results.

It's by far the most popular show in its genre at the very least.

I mean by "anime fans worldwide", it including casual anime fans that isnt hardcore fans. You know, the certain people that call idol anime as childish or girly but they watching anime like Dragonball.

I dont say LL isnt popular at all, but only at certain place. I barely heard about LL here at Southeast Asia compared to SAO & AOT. LL fanbase exists but they arent too open with their interest. Idol genre itself is popular here, just look at these people liking Korea's K-Pop artists, more than people in West. LL maybe works well in different medium, like the LL game or having real life event like Hatsune Miku. I'm also an idol anime fan too, but more onto Idolmaster than Love Live.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

relyat08 wrote:
Wake Up Girls just isn't popular at all. Not in Japan, and especially not over here. Idolm@ster's situation is a bit more complicated.

Idolm@ster has a huge fanbase but the problem is it's almost exclusively male otaku. Not only does it not have the same mainstream appeal as Love Live, but the fanbase has a 90 to 10 male to female ratio (Unlike Love Live which is almost 50 50).

As for why it's not popular over here? Well the explanation for that is much more simple. The guys up in Japan haven't even bothered to try and market the show to western audiences. The games? Not one of them are localised. The anime? On Crunchyroll but region locked to the US. You can however buy barebones sub only sets of Puchim@s and Xenoglossia from Funimation and Sentai. That's it.

What legal options do I have for watching Love Live in Australia? Both Seasons on Blu-ray and DVD (Movie coming in August), the entire show subbed and dubbed on Animelab and both seasons subbed on Crunchyroll. And to add to that I can play SIF in in English. What legal options do I have as an Australian to watch Idolm@ster? Well... I can stream Cinderella Girls subtitled on Daisuki. Y-Yay.

Indeed. I am, unfortunately, aware of those circumstances. Sad
Wake Up, Girls, gave a good effort, and managed to be sustainable as a property, but I doubt it ever made much more than just enough to fund its movies.
Idolmaster could easily share some of the success of LL if it was marketed better. Having Idolmaster only available on CR with no other release is a sin(Cinderella Girls just on Daisuke is even worse, considering how few people know that even exists. Even though I'm not a huge CG fan, personally). The only reason I got into Idolmaster was because I am very familiar with Megumi Kouno and wanted to see what a high quality traditionally animated dance sequence would look like. It turns out that I actually like the original Idolmaster series better than LL all things considered. I would love to own it on Blu-ray, but yeah, unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be likely thanks to how it has been handled so far. Aniplex rubs me the wrong way on a lot of things. Their treatment of anyone outside of Japan being the biggest one.

Hikarunu wrote:
I barely heard about LL here at Southeast Asia compared to SAO & AOT. LL fanbase exists but they arent too open with their interest.

I think that is largely the thing. I wore a Love Live T-shirt out in public once, believe it or not, and I had at least 3 people comment on how much they liked it. Prior to that I had never once talked about Idols to anyone I know in real life, outside of my close anime friends. It's not exactly a type of show that gets talked about in public much outside of anime circles. I suspect that a lot more people do watch it then you probably know though.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Wake Up Girls just isn't popular at all. Not in Japan, and especially not over here.

I think the very poor animation of Wake Up Girls may be the reason for it being so obscure...
abaone94

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:

I mean by "anime fans worldwide", it including casual anime fans that isnt hardcore fans. You know, the certain people that call idol anime as childish or girly but they watching anime like Dragonball.

You certainly cannot compare LL to SAO or AoT. The latter two had an "easy-to-go-in" theme, being about online game and horror action, while LL is about idols, a theme already niche on its own and not a theme everyone could care. Someone who liked Dragon Ball or Naruto may like or dislike LL, but there are chances that they would not simply because "it was too cute" or "it lacks action" or "I don't understand this genre". SAO and AoT had always an advantage being in a more general theme than LL, thus their difference in popularity among casual anime fans.

Oh and BTW, someone doesn't have to be a "hardcore" fan to like a show. It's just a matter of demographics and theme, really.

Hikarunu wrote:

I dont say LL isnt popular at all, but only at certain place. I barely heard about LL here at Southeast Asia compared to SAO & AOT. LL fanbase exists but they arent too open with their interest. Idol genre itself is popular here, just look at these people liking Korea's K-Pop artists, more than people in West. LL maybe works well in different medium, like the LL game or having real life event like Hatsune Miku. I'm also an idol anime fan too, but more onto Idolmaster than Love Live.

I wonder which part of SEA you live on? From where am I, LL fans are abundant, and not in just in exclusive groups either. Again, if you compared it to SAO or AoT or Dragon Ball, the rate of discussion would pale in comparison, but it is still quite large for a not-so-widely-appealing genre.

You can't also gauge a Japanese idol genre popularity by looking at K-Pop idols' popularity since both had a different market to begin with. Those who liked K-Pop might haven't even watched anime in their life except for several ubiquitous ones like Doraemon. Some may like anime about idols, but I don't think it will be of a proportional percentage compared to those to didn't.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Wake Up Girls just isn't popular at all. Not in Japan, and especially not over here.

I think the very poor animation of Wake Up Girls may be the reason for it being so obscure...

That, and probably also the fact that it shares almost no thematic similarities to everything else in the genre. Rather than being a lighthearted show about doing your best and making everyone smile, it's a show about young women going through depression, dealing with real industry problems, and stuff like that. The audience for idol shows is not likely to be looking for something like that.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

I think it's moreso that it doesn't pretend that the idol industry is some perfectly wonderful amazing thing as Love Live and Idolmaster do. Otaku don't like it when you shatter the illusion so deftly as WUG does.

Also the animation in Shichinin no Idol is quite good, especially with the impromptu live concert at the end. I haven't seen either of the two sequel movies, though I'm not holding my breath as far as animation quality goes.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

I think it's moreso that it doesn't pretend that the idol industry is some perfectly wonderful amazing thing as Love Live and Idolmaster do. Otaku don't like it when you shatter the illusion so deftly as WUG does.

Also the animation in Shichinin no Idol is quite good, especially with the impromptu live concert at the end. I haven't seen either of the two sequel movies, though I'm not holding my breath as far as animation quality goes.

I just want to get them at some point already. They've been out for a good while and I can't even find an illegal method to watch them.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:24 am Reply with quote
I swear Love Live! Is like the BTS of Japan. But ofcourse Bangtan Boys are more popular globally
abaone94

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
iamtooawesome wrote:
I swear Love Live! Is like the BTS of Japan. But ofcourse Bangtan Boys are more popular globally

I don't think it could come even close. LL had never been able to beat top idol-groups in Japan in terms of fanbase and sales records, so comparing it to BTS would be unsuitable, even more to be likened to Laughing

Lest you're talking about AKB48 or other Johnny and Associate groups it would be on a more equal standing with BTS, but I digress too far here.

relyat08 wrote:
That, and probably also the fact that it shares almost no thematic similarities to everything else in the genre.

WUG is the closest thing that resembles the real story of Japanese Idol industry, but clearly isn't the kind of plot people are looking for. Unless you are learning to become real idol producer that is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4