• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Former Ghibli Producer: Women Too 'Realistic' to Direct Fantasy Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MangaRocks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Talk about sexist... Confused

(BTW, I think Rie Matsumoto would like to have a word with you...)

(Also, this:)
RestLessone wrote:
To add to what others have said, male directors have also made countless realistic films that were critically lauded and/or financially successful. You don't see women vastly outnumbering men in directorial positions for these works. The statement implies that they don't hire many women directors because males are better with their story types, but it's not like the opposite is true in the live action industry...

And this doesn't even take into account how prominent women are in writing fantasy literature. You might not see a lot of female directors, but--and I'm not expert here, so perhaps I'm wrong--the film industry seems pretty male dominated when it comes to directors of big films. Women might just get attached to smaller projects and get less of a chance to work with hard fantasy. Look harder, though, and you'll see novels, films, comics, artwork and all manner of stories, fantasy and realistic, written by men and women. Besides, things are slowly but surely changing as women get more of an opportunity to enter the film industry as directors.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:
That is a very poorly worded headline.

He said that women are realistic, men are idealistic, and fantasy requires the idealistic approach.
A headline saying "Women Too 'Realistic' to Direct Fantasy Films" is entirely accurate.

I've read somewhere that scientific studies have actually proved his statement true...so I don't think it's sexist. He said "Tend to be" which also reads "Are not always". I can't find the research I read (lol I know how that sounds) because most of the results on Google are about this article on like 50 different websites -_-
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I only have pairs of words.

Rebecca Sugar.
Lauren Faust.
Brenda Chapman.
Sayo Yamamoto.
Rie Matsumoto.

These are all I can come up with off the top of my head.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
No sir. Perhaps they haven't been given the chance to Direct and show what they can do because men think they can "do it better".

It's like how women usually use pseudonyms of use initials when they publish books. People simply don't think that a woman's work of fiction would be any good because she's a woman.
..A notable modern one being J.K. Rowling.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Time for that inevitable warning. A few posts have already disappeared. No please stay civil, no lets get back on topic guys ok thanks, and no let's all be nice everyone. Stay civil. Period.

And for those once again whining about click bait titles, it's an INTEREST piece. Like the others. Don't like them, than stop reading them. Posting to only flame bait and troll the threads with a pointless comment like that is getting old.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
This guy clearly hasn't seen a lot of female-made manga series then. That's the hilarious thing about that comment; it's not only sexist, it's horrendously ignorant. Plus it doesn't paint men in a positive light either.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Momokochan wrote:
The dude does know that The Borrowers, Howl's Moving Castle, Earthsea, Kiki's Delivery Service were originally written by women right? they KNOW THAT RIGHT? smh
FMLA was written by a woman, he should know that, because he works in the anime industry!

Women and Men are equally capable of writing and directing fantasy and realism oh my good god the worst part is the ignorance of their own movies i can't

He said 'directed', not written. Books and manga are an entirely different medium from anime and movies. Regardless, even if one ends up listing a few examples, exceptions don't disprove a rule. Not that I necessarily a hundred percent agree with him.

Unfortunately, while this is an interesting topic to discuss, Western internet culture pretty much condemns and jumps on anyone who tries to even insinuate men and women are different in any way, which effectively prevents any kind of intelligent discussion to be had.

FireChick wrote:
I only have pairs of words.

Rebecca Sugar.
Lauren Faust.
Brenda Chapman.
Sayo Yamamoto.
Rie Matsumoto.

These are all I can come up with off the top of my head.

American creators don't have a place here because they're usually committee driven shows. Rebecca sugar and Lauren Faust don't even direct the shows they worked on. Given the whole sordid history behind Brave, using Brenda Chapman as an example is a pretty bad one.

The two anime people you listed don't draft fantasy works so they're not really relevant. Just saying.

-Stuart Smith
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Wrote a massive post speculating.

Short version.
Director-san here thinks men are too idealistic - but not otherwordly. Women are, in other Ghibli and anime interviews, said to be fantastical and used as characters because they are the opposite gender and less understood. They can't parse the difference between their own experience and the character. He's straight up pretty much saying "I don't know the other gender, they're good to talk about." Take a stroll around fanfics and fanart, women draw a lot of men. They too likely see the other gender as mysterious and a suitable target of fantasy.

So I take this as him being too acquainted with his stale Man-Role. "We've done fantasy, and used female leads because they're otherwordly, and since that's the way it has been, that is the way it must be." Ghibli never really had the vast talent of the industry flow through its doors. He can't seem to grasp that if he let a woman have the creative role, She'd make a male lead. And males are 'not-fantasy.' Or maybe she'd do other things that are legitly fantasy, and he wouldn't consider them so.

tl:dr, This guy simply never had to work in the industry abroad all that much, or with the wealth of talent in artists around the world. "I saw some things that didn't click with me, so it must not ever be posible."

Disclaimer, I'm all for equality of everyone having an equal chance to climb the ladders and direct. I think our differences are the keys to unlock doors to dozens of different fantasies we can all enjoy. Ghibli is stagnant, thusly without Miyazaki has little future. Not that he ever did much different.
Cancer DeathMask

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
How about Kaoru Kurimoto, who wrote "Guin saga " can't get more fantasy than that.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
This guy clearly hasn't seen a lot of female-made manga series then. That's the hilarious thing about that comment; it's not only sexist, it's horrendously ignorant. Plus it doesn't paint men in a positive light either.

He's talking about directing.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Eh... Its Japan. Gender equality is not really their strong point, though anime/manga has great female personalities. Life is too short to get angry at one guys opinion. Because its just that, an opinion.

Funny to see the outrage coming from sites like Verge and Fusion. Sites know for looking under every rock to find something to be offended by. You would think by now that they would understand that Japan has different opinions from the west.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

He's talking about directing.

But his argument is that "women are realistic and thus are not suited to work with fantasy stories", yet there are droves of women all across media creating fantasy, so that disproves his statement about women being ill-fitted for fantasy works. If women can create fantasy, then why would directing fantasy be an unfathomable thing?

But hey, as we all know, the director of Blood Blockade Battlefront and Kyousugiga was very clearly a man
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
You know, when I watched Kyousougiga, I wondered "why is this show so realistic?" And it took until I read Mr. Nishimura's comment for me to realize, "Oh! It's because it's director and co-creator, Rie Matsumoto, is a woman!" I truly have to thank him for this revelation. It explains why there's so much realism in shows like Cowboy Bebop as well, because its scriptwriter, Keiko Nobumoto, is a woman. So the next time you watch an episode of Kiznaiver (Mari Okada), Full Metal Alchemist (Hiromu Arakawa), Inuyasha (Rumiko Takahashi), Blue Exorcist (Kazue Kato), xxxHolic (CLAMP), Sailor Moon (Naoko Takeuchi), The Woman Called Fujiko Mine (Sayo Yamamoto), or dozens of other anime originally written by or directed by women, and you find yourself thinking "I wonder why this show is so able to realistically capture details of my day-to-day life!" Wonder no more!
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
But his argument is that "women are realistic and thus are not suited to work with fantasy stories"

Look. I don't fully agree with his statements but that's not what he meant. In his earlier line he states 'Unlike live action, with animation we have to simplify the real world."

He's clearly talking about directing an animated film.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:16 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
If women can create fantasy, then why would directing fantasy be an unfathomable thing?

The same way someone can be a good writer but not a good artist. Directing is a visual talent. Able to plot how a 30 minute episode will be paced, look, the camera angles, and all those audio visual cues someone writing a book doesn't have to worry about.

-Stuart Smith
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9