• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Former Ghibli Producer: Women Too 'Realistic' to Direct Fantasy Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith, are you really arguing that Rie Matsumoto's works aren't fantasy? Have you seen them? People are also arguing that Michiko & Hatchin is "realistic"...sure.

Also, people can express whatever opinions they want. But if you express an opinion publicly, to a reporter, on the record, and that opinion is ignorant and biased, people who recognize the ignorance and bias of the statement may disagree (or even gently mock!) the statement.

Last edited by Agent355 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Stuart Smith, are you really arguing that Rie Matsumoto's works aren't fantasy? Have you seen them? People are also arguing that Michiko & Hatchin is "realistic"...sure.

It's not a fantasy film that's for sure.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
If women can create fantasy, then why would directing fantasy be an unfathomable thing?

The same way someone can be a good writer but not a good artist. Directing is a visual talent. Able to plot how a 30 minute episode will be paced, look, the camera angles, and all those audio visual cues someone writing a book doesn't have to worry about.

-Stuart Smith

You're contradicting yourself. Earlier, when others have cited Rie Matsumoto's work, you claim "she didn't write those", but now you're saying that women being prolific at writing fantasy doesn't disprove his statement because writing and directing aren't the same thing.

BTW you know who has to worry about pace, look and frames too? Manga artists. Because every panel has an intention. But as we all very well know, CLAMP is made up entirely of men.
Mature-Kun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to go support this film now because of his anti-Shonen Jump Weekly comments. Sick and tired of this politically correct environment that's been created on the internet. Stay strong, Nishimura-san.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
While I do find Mr. Yonebayashi's statement to be quite sexist, I can't say he's entirely wrong. Some women are great at directing, others are excellent at script-writing, and others fare well with visual management. It all depends on which area and the person's skill; gender has no factor in determining that.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
You're contradicting yourself. Earlier, when others have cited Rie Matsumoto's work, you claim "she didn't write those", but now you're saying that women being prolific at writing fantasy doesn't disprove his statement because writing and directing aren't the same thing.

BTW you know who has to worry about pace, look and frames too? Manga artists. Because every panel has an intention. But as we all very well know, CLAMP is made up entirely of men.

I didn't say it doesn't really count because she didn't write those I said it doesn't really count because they're not fantasy. No, I don't consider Michiko & Hatchin fantasy any more than Die Hard, Bourne Identity or similar Hollywood action movies are fantasy. Wou!d you really compare Michiko to One Piece or Naruto?

Mangaka, sure, but it's still different from directing. Manga is still read at the reader's pace, anime is a set pace of it's own, which is why some adaptions are criticized for being too wordy or poorly paced.

-Stuart Smith
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

I didn't say it doesn't really count because she didn't write those I said it doesn't really count because they're not fantasy. No, I don't consider Michiko & Hatchin fantasy any more than Die Hard, Bourne Identity or similar Hollywood action movies are fantasy. Wou!d you really compare Michiko to One Piece or Naruto?

See, this is where it's clear you don't know what you're talking about. Michiko & Hatchin was directed by Sayo Yamamoto. I haven't even mentioned her. Rie Matsumoto's big prominent works have been Kyousougiga and Blood Blockade Battlefront, both of which are urban fantasies.

You people keep moving the goal posts. First it was "oh no, women can't do fantasy". Then when faced with the droves of female fantasy writers you're now "oh no it's about the visual medium" but when I brought up female creators in the manga industry (a visual medium!!) now it's about "the pace".

I'll also contend that "ohhh anime is a visual medium so just because women can write fantasy doesn't mean they can direct it" as the biggest bullshit I've read all week (and I just read the Harry Potter Cursed Child spoilers) and an extremely gross and sexist generalization. That's like saying "Japanese people can do manga and anime, but they certainly can't write good novels because the written medium is different". Well no shit, Sherlock, that's why there are different people with different talents. Some women can write brilliant fantasy stories and some women are brilliant directors and more of them would get recognition if the industry wasn't so stupidly biased against the female gender.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why everyone's getting all worked up he's not saying that a Woman could never be a great Animation director he's just going off from his experience in Japan that Men are more Idealistic in the Anime industry based off his experiences. Remember he lives in Japan and not PC America. Rolling Eyes
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I don't know why everyone's getting all worked up he's not saying that a Woman could never be a great Animation director he's just going off from his experience in Japan that Men are more Idealistic in the Anime industry based off his experiences. Remember he lives in Japan and not PC America. Rolling Eyes

Gee, I don't know, maybe because women have been historically and systematically opressed and excluded from pretty much everything that's not cleaning the house and having babies for centuries and maybe, just maybe, some of us are sick and tired of hearing the same old tired, baseless "arguments" that are nothing more than prejudice to justify the prevailing sexist environment in society at large.

Also, what experience could he possibly have in the matter of whether women can or can't direct a fantasy anime movie when not a single woman has ever directed a Ghibli film?
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
It make me sad to hear, someone that creative think that way.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Japan, 20 years behind.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
AnimeLordLuis wrote:

Gee, I don't know, maybe because women have been historically and systematically opressed and excluded from pretty much everything that's not cleaning the house and having babies for centuries and maybe, just maybe, some of us are sick and tired of hearing the same old tired, baseless "arguments" that are nothing more than prejudice to justify the prevailing sexist environment in society at large.

Also, what experience could he possibly have in the matter of whether women can or can't direct a fantasy anime movie when not a single woman has ever directed a Ghibli film?

it's not like he said 'women can't do anything besides clean the house, men rock'. He just said that based on his experience they each do better in different genres. I don't necessarily agree but there is a difference between differentiation and hierarchisation.
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I usually don't get involved in gender discourse but... As a probably overly-idealistic woman who wants to work in film and whose favorite genres are fantasy and sci-fi, what the hell. I honestly can't decide if this is offensive or so ridiculously simplified it crosses back into funny.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:

it's not like he said 'women can't do anything besides clean the house, men rock'. He just said that based on his experience they each do better in different genres. I don't necessarily agree but there is a difference between differentiation and hierarchisation.

But what bloody experience? If you see his work profile, all he's ever done is Produce Ghibli films. He has literally no experience with women directing anime, so how can he say they wouldn't be suited for the job? Because he's basically talking out of his ass prejudice
Saturn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
good job keeping your sexist reputation alive and well, Japan... Rolling Eyes
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9