• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Former Ghibli Producer: Women Too 'Realistic' to Direct Fantasy Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macattack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Kutsu wrote:

it's not like he said 'women can't do anything besides clean the house, men rock'. He just said that based on his experience they each do better in different genres. I don't necessarily agree but there is a difference between differentiation and hierarchisation.

But what bloody experience? If you see his work profile, all he's ever done is Produce Ghibli films. He has literally no experience with women directing anime, so how can he say they wouldn't be suited for the job? Because he's basically talking out of his ass prejudice

We also don't know what else he's done in his life and how his life experiences outside of Ghibli films shaped his perception.

We all develop different opinions, right and wrong, based on how our lives go and how things happen to us, along with how we decide to do things.

Ghibli has had a host of women animating for them over the years, and perhaps his observation is based on how he sees women animating, boarding, and composing both lower-key and fantastical scenes.

Right or wrong, it's how he sees things, and he's not going to change his mind because a bunch of Westerners yell at him over it. We're all basically yelling at a brick wall in this thread.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe people are defending this a-hole. It's like, go back to writing your little romances you GIRLS, only real men can make proper fantasy. Back into the little box I've made for you ladies, chop-chop!
faboo95

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Is it sexist? Yes. But the man is entitled to an opinion and, based on his life experiences, it may be a perfectly valid opinion for him to have. Perhaps Ghibli has tried to use female directors before and, for whatever reason, it didn't work.

Really getting tired of people getting blasted for having a non-pc opinion. The majority of people in this world have opinions on different genders, race, sexual preference, etc. Demanding people be fired for voicing those opinions does nothing to change them, and many times, just makes them hold on to those ideas even more.

This discussion should've ended way back when this was said as it pretty much sums up the entire situation. Was what he said inaccurate and offensive when looking at the industry as a whole? Sure. But the comment was only based on observations with the people he worked with.
Fabe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
I can't believe people are defending this a-hole. It's like, go back to writing your little romances you GIRLS, only real men can make proper fantasy. Back into the little box I've made for you ladies, chop-chop!

Yeah pretty much this. If a woman said that Men can't do X then all these champions of 'frezee peach" would be raging.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm a guy, but some of my favorite idealistic writers and fantasy writers have all been women.
In Japan.

CLAMP are my favorite manga-ka. Idealism and fantasy are their game.
Guin Saga was written by Kurimoto, and it's the longest modern epic fantasy novel series written by a single author in the world. It's also one of my favorite fantasy novels, next to Twelve Kingdoms, which was... *gasp* ...also written by a woman!
Tanemura Arina is another favorite manga-ka of mine, often delving into the spiritual and mystic within her works. And realism is most certainly not her specialty. Takahashi Rumiko made Inuyasha, which was ripe with great world building and spiritual fantasy. She currently has Rinne, another spiritual fantasy. Watase Yuu is known for both Fushigi Yuugi and Arata.
It's not just written stuff, either. Kajiura Yuki and Kanno Yoko have a great way with spinning some of the most fantastic and imaginative compositions in music that I know of. The amount of music they make for fantasy and sci-fi works is... well, not only numerous, but pretty much make up their entire career.

These aren't exceptions. When thinking about my favorite fantasy series throughout my entire life, these are the first names to pop up alongside other male names I respect, like Urobuchi, NisiOisin, Hosoda, and Tezuka. If there is a shortage of women making fantasy or idealistic content, I don't see it. Maybe I just happen to be drawn more to stories written by women? If there REALLY are few women making fantasy, I have a feeling it has more to do with the barriers of women in the working world in Japan in general than any inherent biological reason.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Way to open your mouth and shove your foot in, dude. Is Studio Ghibli operated by angry dudes with OPINIONS? I know Miyazaki is a grumpy old man angry at them darn kids on his lawn, but jeez.

It's like this guy never read a chapter of Ranma 1/2 before. Laughing
JadeDahlia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I cannot believe how many people are defending this blatantly sexist bs.

Also, generally dudes tend to be the ones who can't conceive of a fantasy world where women/POC/LGBTQ+ people/etc have equal rights for example, even if they don't bat an eyelash at things like dragons or immortality or magic existing. And yet we're the ones who are apparently too grounded in realism for fantasy?

There is plenty of good fantasy out there written by women (hell, the book Howl's Moving Castle, a Ghibli movie adaptation, is based on was written by a woman). In fact, speculative fiction in general was INVENTED by women (namely the book Frankenstein by Mary Shelley).

Seriously where is this dude getting this nonsense idea from?
Rychy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
lol. What a fool. Glad the statements gotten a lot of backlash.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:

Or should I remind you of Kathryn Bigelow, who won an Academy Award for Best Director?

Not to be snarky or anything but how long ago was that and how many women have followed in her footsteps since then?
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Screw blasters. The guy provides valid insight that weighs more than that of public opinions. He's a director for pete's sake, and you guys are..?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Screw blasters. The guy provides valid insight that weighs more than that of public opinions. He's a director for pete's sake, and you guys are..?

Actually, he's not. He's a producer. So he doesn't even have experience directing to say what a director should and shouldn't be able to do
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Quote:
Women tend to be more realistic and manage day-to-day lives very well. Men on the other hand tend to be more idealistic – and fantasy films need that idealistic approach.

This is one of the most ridiculous "women are..., men are..." statements i've ever read...and i've read a lot.
Well it does seem fairly reflective of the Japanese ideal of family life: the man goes out into the world to pursue his (or his employer's) ideals, hopefully making money in the process, while the woman clutches the purse strings and makes sure that the household stays afloat on what the man earns. Still sexist af, of course.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
Just a reminder, comrades, to keep it nice. Also, please avoid one-sentence pot shots. I've had to delete a couple more posts.

I would say that Michiko and Hatchin is more fantastical than When Marnie Was There. I also prefer it marginally, though I rate both highly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
Now that we have let loose the attack dogs on this guy, who probably didn't even know what was coming when he got up in the morning, why don't we tell the Japanese anime industry what we really want.

We don't want interviews with people (human beings with all their foibles) from other cultures, who don't 100% agree with our culture and society.

Really all you all want is mission statements from the production committees, that have been scrubbed several times by their lawyers.

Lets not have any male Japanese guests either, since we already know they are all sexist dogs who have not been indoctrinated into proper American society and culture.

I fully understand why the industry on one hand probably wishes there was no western fanbase, which is why they sometimes restrict their stuff to Japan only, since they don't want to deal with western outrage.

You all are right, based upon western PC culture and society, what he said was an anathema. But in today's PC world we don't really want people to be human, we want them to be political correct. People need to know they will have there throats torn out, if they say the slightest thing wrong, even if they didn't mean the context everyone else thought it meant.

So just say it to protect the Japanese men. You don't want them as guests, and you don't want them to do interviews. Period. They weren't raised in modern American PC culture. I was raised here before the birth of PC culture, so I am kinda of stuck. You just learn not to say anything at all. Sort of like living in a police state, where you never know if your neighbors or your children will turn you in.

I am not saying that PC culture doesn't have its good points, it does. But too much of a good thing can be bad, especially if it is not tempered with humanity. Which has been the grist of many a sci-fi dystopian novel.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
CheezcakeMe wrote:

Yeah pretty much this. If a woman said that Men can't do X then all these champions of 'frezee peach" would be raging.

I honestly sort of took this as an insult to guys, saying that they are idealistic, and incapable of creating realistic works. But whatever.

I would have titled this article: Former Ghibli Producer: Men Too Idealistic to direct Realistic films.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9