• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Death Note Film Casts Keith Stanfield

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puniyo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:29 am Reply with quote
I'll watch it even if he's L because I'm not a fan of 100% faithful adaptions anyway, but I actually hope he's a version of Ryuk. Either voice or 'human' version, either would be good.
L is mostly English, so people who complain about 'americanising' things have no right to say this'd be good casting either.

maxs2d2ace wrote:
"i cant relate to them because they are of a different set of people".

I'm sorry to butt in (personally I think it's great minorities and other identities are getting lead roles, but personally I'd prefer original characters than changing preexisting ones), but the whole 'I NEED to relate to the character personally' is a really American thing. This is why other countries don't have this sort of hubbubb about race/gender casting.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:17 am Reply with quote
L wears Dockers now? Cue internet fan-rage.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:28 am Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:

I'm sorry to butt in (personally I think it's great minorities and other identities are getting lead roles, but personally I'd prefer original characters than changing preexisting ones), but the whole 'I NEED to relate to the character personally' is a really American thing. This is why other countries don't have this sort of hubbubb about race/gender casting.

Most of the video games I play are from Japan, so I'm usually playing as an Asian character, and also usually female given Japan has a lot of female main characters. Even when I play Western games it's usually an American. I can't recall the last time I played as a Dutchman, and I've never had a problem playing a video game. Race and representation does seem like a bigger thing in America than anywhere else.

The argument goes both ways however. If relating to a character doesn't matter then why do we need more diversity?' With anime it's even weirder because you'll be taking away Asian roles and giving them to Black or Hispanic people. Who gets priority over representation in that case? Is it really progressive if you're just shutting out one minority over another? I also think people should make original characters for diversity rather than changing existing ones. It's just a cheap and lazy way to alter someone's successful work rather than make your own new work with whatever representation you want in it

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:59 am Reply with quote
I could care less who plays L as long as he gets it right.

Last edited by #857908 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Kai99

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:13 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Puniyo wrote:

Most of the video games I play are from Japan, so I'm usually playing as an Asian character, and also usually female given Japan has a lot of female main characters. Even when I play Western games it's usually an American. I can't recall the last time I played as a Dutchman, and I've never had a problem playing a video game. Race and representation does seem like a bigger thing in America than anywhere else.

The argument goes both ways however. If relating to a character doesn't matter then why do we need more diversity?' With anime it's even weirder because you'll be taking away Asian roles and giving them to Black or Hispanic people. Who gets priority over representation in that case? Is it really progressive if you're just shutting out one minority over another? I also think people should make original characters for diversity rather than changing existing ones. It's just a cheap and lazy way to alter someone's successful work rather than make your own new work with whatever representation you want in it

Wait, so taking Asian roles and giving them to white people is perfectly fine than? It is funny how people are perfectly okay with that, but get bent all out of shape when other races are cast. Why don't you take your own advice. If relating to a character race doesn't matter, than it shouldn't matter to you if this whole Death Note movie be played by blacks and hispanics.
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
People keep saying that he might be L or Nat Wolffe's character is Light but there isn't really reason to believe this yet, right? It's kind of clear already they aren't making this a straight adaptation. It's not like Frozen is a straight adaptation of The Snow Queen or Big Hero 6 is a straight adaptation of the comic of the original name--and the latter even uses the same character names.

Take this film for what it is, which is not the same Death Note we know and love. It could be good, or it could be bad, but it's also likely an original story that just uses similar mechanics, just the way that Edge of Tomorrow barely resembed All You Need is Kill. Japan right now is making a Death Note movie that's fairly divorced from the original manga.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:06 am Reply with quote
Kai99 wrote:
Wait, so taking Asian roles and giving them to white people is perfectly fine than?.
Huh? I never said that. I'm always against Hollywood changing races.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
maxs2d2ace wrote:
Hollywood a few years back(and still to this day) only gave leading rolls to white people because that is the target audience that they were trying to market too(i.e Gods of Egypt).
So just stay in your seclude domicile of insecurity until your dissolution, because i don't wont you affecting others with your Prejudice and stupidity. Rolling Eyes

Just wanted to pop in here to say that, depending on the era, those in power in Egypt weren't black. If Gods of Egypt were to take place during the Ptolemaic Period, with all that Greek influence (ie. Cleopatra), casting with white people would make sense. It might make sense to do a little more research on Egypt before you start calling out others on their stupidity.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
Oh? How good is he in other roles? I haven't really heard of him before. If he's good I'm up for whatever.

Is he just a voice of any specific Shinigami or is he full body acting? Such curious. I didn't even know Netflix had it to be fair but now I'm a bit more hopeful for it, even though I know it will be Americanized, which I'm perfectly cool with. After all, there are some poor adoptions that I love and most people hate.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:44 am Reply with quote
Netflix and up and coming actors i like? This changes everything, maybe.
The director turned himself around with The Guest and who knows how the original FF scripts looks like, the Ultimate Fantastic Four source material is good after all. You are off my shit list US Death Note!
PS: HBO´s The Leftovers is a 10/10.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
Not that it really matters, but L isn't even meant to be Asian. It's clearly said that he was the junior high tennis champ of England. He's British.

Oh, and fun, I just received this nasty, abusive PM (evidently because he was too afraid to post it on here):

"You hope he isn't L because dumb [expletive] ignorant sack of discriminatory shit. It's highly likely that he is and if so that's not only a wonderful decision, it's something you'll have to deal with or take your worthless [expletive] bullshit regression elsewhere, you worthless piece of shit.

Permaleaving this fake account and that article now so this is our last contact. Deal with it dumb fudge, my facts win, you and your ignorant bullshit lose."

It's not even that I care he's back. I just don't like his acting and find it hard to envision him in the role. Him being black doesn't automatically make him impervious to public criticism for other reasons.

Last edited by Knight-Hart on Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
I think Death Note is the kind of story that has a strong yet simple core. It'd be happy if they took it in whatever direction they wanted as long as they know what it wants to be, without getting too lost trying to appeal to everyone.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
Knight-Hart wrote:
It's clearly said that he was the junior high tennis champ of England. He's British.

Junior high tennis champion, you say? It is worth mentioning that we do not have junior high schools over here! This L fellow is clearly not to trusted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Knight-Hart wrote:
It's clearly said that he was the junior high tennis champ of England. He's British.

Junior high tennis champion, you say? It is worth mentioning that we do not have junior high schools over here! This L fellow is clearly not to trusted.

Whoops, right you are! I double-checked and he said that he was the Junior Champion, and that he lived in the UK for five years. So he's not necessarily British. Looks like I'm wrong on both counts.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
On the topic of relatability, being able to relate to a character has to do with much more than whether or not they look like you. In many cases, characters are relatable to people because they're dealing with issues similar to those the person in question is dealing with or has dealt with. That can form an instant connection between the viewer and the character.

Importantly, it is 100% possible for a work to get you to relate to a character you don't have much, if anything, in common with, physically or otherwise. This has happened to me with many different shows and movies I've watched. If you can get the viewer to understand the character, where they're coming from, what their wants and needs are, the viewer can empathize with the character (even if the character is an antagonist), and voila! You've made the character relatable. I've recently re-watched some of it, so it's fresh in my mind, but an excellent example of this for me is Fullmetal Alchemist. I can empathize and sympathize with so many of the characters in FMA, even though I have absolutely nothing in common with some of them.

On the flip side, it's entirely possible for a character that is similar to you physically, or that is dealing with issues similar to those you've dealt with or are dealing with, to not be relatable.

Surface-level similarity is surface-level relatability. There are other kinds of similarity and relatablity that can have a much stronger impact on the viewer.

Point being, saying that you can't relate to a character that doesn't resemble you physically is ridiculous. What someone who says that actually means is that they're unwilling to try to relate to a character that doesn't resemble them physically, which is really a shame because you miss out on so much when you stubbornly close your mind off like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3