• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hideo Kojima, Sony Reveal Death Stranding Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Via_01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Nothing related to the gameplay was shown, true, but we must at least admit that Kojima is pretty great at directing his trailers: the cinematography was stellar in this one, plus it was filled with symbolism. The trailer might not explain much, but I feel the game will have a big environmental message (dead whales and crabs, Norman Reedus grabing a child which then turns into oil, a gray, seemingly-contaminated beach).

In any case, I trust Kojima. Even if the game is not good, at the very least it'll feel unique.
LightningShadow55

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I knew as soon as he got on stage he wasn't going to show us anything that would tell us what the game was going to be about or what kind of game its was going to be they have only been working on it for a couple of months. They should have waited until next years E3 to show us the game Its probably not going to be out for 4 years any way wait until you actually have something to show first.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
LightningShadow55 wrote:
I knew as soon as he got on stage he wasn't going to show us anything that would tell us what the game was going to be about or what kind of game its was going to be they have only been working on it for a couple of months. They should have waited until next years E3 to show us the game Its probably not going to be out for 4 years any way wait until you actually have something to show first.

You're pretty much telling them to do something that the industry as a whole doesn't generally do when it comes to game announcements and teasers.
CasCrow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
Him giving birth to a baby and the baby disappearing may be symbolism for MGS being taken from him.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Kougeru"]
v1cious wrote:
He said in an interview 5 minutes ago that it might not be an action game. I'm so confused. He refused to answer any question with anything other than "it's a secret" or "i cna't say anything yet"

Not really that confusing... it's guaranteed to be a third person game where you will have to fight something. He's already drawn comparisons to Uncharted and the Division. And one need only consider the style of game that Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill typically are.

I believe in the interview (referring to the Keighley one) he said that it'll be something that people who generally like those kinds of games can easily acclimatize to, but they'll start to discover some different things as they play, so Kojima is essentially going to try something new.

[quote="v1cious"]
MCAL wrote:
I'm on the fence, really. As much as I like his games, I'm really starting to suspect that Kojima's not the saint everyone thinks he is. Supposedly he's really to hard work with, which is one of the reasons for his falling out with Konami. I feel like there should be a little oversight just to be on the safe side.

You are saying this based don what? Former employees of Konami actually left and joined him, which suggests that they like working with the guy, not to mention Del Toro and Junji Ito and even Reedus already have experience working with him for P.T. and all of them definitely want to reunite. We don't know the real reasons behind the fallout with Konami, but all signs point to the idea that certain Konami's higher-ups have been trying to put an end to the console division and move to more towards mobile and gambling, thus making all their console devs irrelevant.

ReifuTD wrote:
I'm confused, I was expecting this game to be something like Silent Hill, But it looks like Metal Gear?

That game was cancelled and Kojima left Konami. He and Reedus are working with Sony on a new IP. This is it. There may be some similar things Kojima is bringing over from his Silent Hills concept, but it's now something else and more sci-fi.

LightningShadow55 wrote:

It nothing new for long term projects to be shown at E3. Developers might as well show things on their terms and cashing in on the surprise element rather than risk other people leaking stuff closer to their intended release. Plus it prevents generally snoopy fans and reporters from constantly hounding them, and it keeps interest in their IP going much further.

Plus Kojima would generally be working on things to show the suits whatever progress he's made so devs might as well show that to the public too.

Also considering Kojima is looking to build his new studio, things like this will help the hiring process where interested people can apply hoping to work on the title.

Because Kojima loves E3 I figure we'll at least get something new from him annually at least.
Via_01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

Not really that confusing... it's guaranteed to be a third person game where you will have to fight something. He's already drawn comparisons to Uncharted and the Division. And one need only consider the style of game that Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill typically are.

I believe in the interview (referring to the Keighley one) he said that it'll be something that people who generally like those kinds of games can easily acclimatize to, but they'll start to discover some different things as they play, so Kojima is essentially going to try something new.

To expand on this, he put his own work on Metal Gear as an example. He said Metal Gear was an action game, but one where you happened to be hiding while the action took place. That type of game came to be called "stealth game", but before Metal Gear, there wasn't anything like that (or at least anything that approached the stealth formula we're now so used to). With Death Stranding, Kojima wants to do something similar: to make an action game, but one where you happen to be doing something else, new, to make the gameplay unique.
maCSlate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
ParaChomp wrote:

Yes we do. They were treating him poorly and prevented him from interacting with others or others to ask questions about him.

#FucKonami

Like I said we don't know exactly what happened since Kojima himself hasn't and presumable can't speak on it. And Konami's themselves haven't said what did Kojima do that justified his name being removed from a game he produced and most of the production team on that same game in effect being scattered to the winds.

The only reason most of the criticism of Konami's gets steam is because of the cancellation of Silent Hills, turning some of their other ips into pachinko/pachislot games, and that unflattering report that came out on how little they value their employees.

Yet ironically no one seems to blame Phantom Pain's clearly incomplete state on Konami's rushing the game out the door.

While I don't know the true scope of what happened between Kojima and Konami behind the scenes. I know that many developers referenced, getting a bag of money, as the reason why their game became a mess. Saying that, when they suddenly had the money to do whatever they wanted, they started adding unnecessary features to the game, just because they could. Apparently working on a small budget can lead to novel ideas. So some oversight might be necessary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2