• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Persona 5 RPG's U.S. Release Will Only Have English Audio & Text

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
Sure they could do that, if they don't like free money.

Given how content they were/are with the SMT series as a whole being a rather niche series and exclusive series up until the PS1/PS2 era. It's not like they're desperate to cover all their bases.

razisgosu wrote:

Or more likely they didn't even try. Or if they did, they didn't try very hard. As has already been mentioned multiple times every other localization company has zero issue getting dual audio for their parent company games, why is Atlus USA a special flower who has the inability to release dual audio games?

Atlus's American branch just can't up and decide to retain the Japanese audio into a localized game that's something that the Japanese branch likely has input over.

razisgosu wrote:

The answer is that they don't care and don't listen to their audience who has been asking for original audio for ages.

A good portion of their audience simply wants these games to be made,released in their region, and dropped on a platform they own, whether the game retains the Japanese audio is practically irrelevant to these people.

razisgosu wrote:
mocking the PC platform,

Hmmm?
razisgosu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Atlus's American branch just can't up and decide to retain the Japanese audio into a localized game that's something that the Japanese branch likely has input over.

No, but they certainly can inform them how much of a necessity it is. Something I sincerely doubt they've tried to do. I really doubt Atlus JP is the only company in the business who refuses to give out original audio, especially if the localization company prompted for it.

Quote:
A good portion of their audience simply wants these games to be made,released in their region, and dropped on a platform they own, whether the game retains the Japanese audio is practically irrelevant to these people.

And a good portion of their audience wants original audio. That's relevant to these people. Not sure where you were going with that one.

Quote:
Hmmm?

Atlus PR has actively mocked the PC platform on neogaf and twitter.
JDude042

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
There's your problem right there. The "Persona" games are very long. On your first time, it would take you at least a month to finish one, and that's if you have free time on your hands. So, I think it wouldn't be too hard to believe there was a lack of disc space.

I've never played a Persona game in my life, so I can't really comment on what you have said. However, I have been playing Disgaea 5 and the main story and epilogue have a fair share of voiced dialogue, along with voiced phrases/battle cries/grunts during battle. Unless I'm greatly underestimating things, I really don't think space is the issue here, especially considering there are ways to compress audio (although admittedly I dunno how the technical side of producing a video game onto a Bluray really works). It's definitely a licensing and money issue, or both on either the English or Japanese side of things.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
Atlus's American branch just can't up and decide to retain the
And a good portion of their audience wants original audio. That's relevant to these people. Not sure where you were going with that.

That Atlus's game's not having the original audio isn't as much a deal breaker to most of their consumer base nor does their game's not having it hurt them in the grand scheme of things.

razisgosu wrote:
Atlus PR has actively mocked the PC platform on neogaf and twitter.

That's bad?

Given how commonly the PC crowd knocks the console market and it's fanbase. Though I wonder which branch is doing that since the PC isn't a particularly big platform in Japan anyway.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
It's Atlus USA PR mocking PC, John Hardin specifically. And yes it's a bad thing. You should not mock consumers who are asking for your product. That makes you look like a bad company.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Let's get back on topic folks. Atlus and their PR department, as well as who is mocking who, have nothing to do with this topic and this thread is contentious enough as is without spiraling down that OT rabbit hole. Thank you.

Errinundra wrote:
^
Mods have the authority to delete posts that break teh rules. This is a privately owned site. Posting here is a privilege, which may be removed.

Besides, comrade, I'm not American. I reside in the world's most liveable city.

And the CEO is Canadian. Wink
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
Aren't there real issues with a game you should boycott it for?

Please, do not mention Fujoushi Fantasy XV, I just ate. And yes, I'll complain about that if there's a post/article about it. This is an article about how P5 is English dub only. That is a deal breaker for me.

oh my, people like you really do exist Very Happy
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:
It's going to English audio only because of licensing issues. Don't be so quick to make Atlus USA as the big bad wolf. Bringing over Dual Audio is very difficult. Here's a link that explains the difficulties.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=525009)

Your article is old and misinformation. It's vert easy and cheap to have Japanese audi nowadats.from Square Enix tirple As games to cheap niche Japanese vita games, almost all of them have Japanese now.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
javierm885778 wrote:
Is it really so hard to gives us dual audio? Even as DLC? It's way overdue with these games.

if you want JPN audio you can always import the game

well, as long the english dub is alright i'm fine with it.

i played Persona 3 and Persona 4 was on the PS2

it took them the whole console cycle to release Persona 5.. at this point i don't really care

Persona 5 and The Last Guardian-- i'm waiting for these two games to come out before getting a PS4
JDude042

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
if you want JPN audio you can always import the game

I think this was addressed already, but it's one thing to just want the audio option, but it's another to want the audio option, but actually be able to read the text in the game for non-Japanese who can't read/write in the language. I know another guy mentioned that learning it is no different than learning anything else in life, but that might be biting off more than one can chew, considering how the anime industry has spoiled us with the benefits of Japanese audio options, and English subtitle translations. I'm sorry, but I just don't have the time or dedication right now in my life to want to master a language other than English.

There are some Japanese games out there that can be played with little to no knowledge of reading Japanese, but a long RPG like Persona is a whole different ball game. I did play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night in Japanese (or rather Akumajou Dracula X: Gekka no Yasoukyoku going by its Japanese title), and had little to no trouble figuring things out because I was already familiar with the English version. I did so because I wanted to hear the much better Japanese voice acting, but nowadays I've got a wonderful fan-translated ISO of the Japanese version on my laptop that I've played through in a PS1 emulator (Xebra) from an old internet buddy of mine (throughhim413). Then there's the whole matter of region locking and having to import foreign consoles that just makes it much more of a pain in the ass when you just wanna have easy access to a game, pick it up, and play it. Yea we shouldn't expect the industry to just bend over and give us everything we want because we demand it, but money talks. I'll gladly put out for a competent release of something I want, but you can't expect the consumer to bend over when demands aren't met. Some people will be satisfied, and others won't. You can't please everyone.
Seravy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm not buying this game if it's english dub only. There's absolutely no good reason for this other than to spite Japanese anime fans. Not everyone likes, or even tolerates dubs.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Seravy wrote:
I'm not buying this game if it's english dub only. There's absolutely no good reason for this other than to spite Japanese anime fans. Not everyone likes, or even tolerates dubs.

Thanks for that interesting and rather absurd view.....you could've read this

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-11-16/atlus-usa-delays-persona-5-to-april-4-adds-japanese-voice-over-dlc/.108889

before needlessly bumping this thread.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5