• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: How well do you know ANN ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
The only answer that surprises me is the one about how many full-time staffers ANN has. There are some that would be obvious, and plenty of regular contributors who are freelance, so it is hard to tell. I would guess there are folks who are full-time but have jobs that don't make them known on a regular basis.

ANNcast provided quite a few of these answers, though, and being a regular user for about 13 years helped with the rest.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I got four right, and it was just a lucky guess on the last one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
8/10 correct. I missed questions 3 (guessed 20 instead of 18) and 5.

I knew the answers to 1, 2, 4, 6, and 7, and was pretty confident on 9. I guessed on the rest.

(Full Disclosure: I only knew the answer to 1 because I accidentally looked at the answer on Chris' post - I approached this survey from the forums. I had thought that ANN started late 90s/early 00s, so I might have guessed wrong had I not seen the answer).

I've known that ANN was domiciled in Canada for a while because I downloaded an extension on Chrome that shows a flag of the country that each site is hosted at next to the URL. I also remember reading somewhere that Chris is located in Canada.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
8/10 correct. I missed questions 3 (guessed 20 instead of 18) and 5.

Got the exact same score and missed questions. MIssed Isaac Alexander as Editor in Chief and I too guessed Justin was 20. I knew I had heard before at con panels the age he was when he created ANN but I couldn't remember. I guessed on ANN's location but I know Chris is a Canuck so I figured being the head honcho now it was the best guess eh. Wink Took a blind shot at the number of staff but it was more of an educated guess. I did figure on the lower end of the teens for number of staff, just didn't know the exact number. Isn't George's handle Cookie? I think so as I remember the April fools spoof Cookie-san no Newsroom lol.You all need to do more fun april fool's stuff like that. I remember the old (if remembering correctly) anime mags like Animerica and Anime Insider did fun stuff for the April editions. Fake shows and such. Always was fun seeing them.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm surprised I was right when I picked 10-20 employees. The way you talk made it seem more likely to be in the single digits. I had to plead ignorance on a few, but the biggest shocker was that ANN was based in Canada - I had gotten the impression it was in San Diego.

But, all jibber-jabber aside, there is one important question that remains unanswered: as a nineties site founded by an eighteen year old, how badly were <marquee> and <blink> abused?
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that I've been visiting this site for so many years and didn't realize Justin Sevakis founded it! Now I'm really happy I voted for him for president in the politics poll! Wink

I did know that Christopher McDonald was CEO and that he lived in Canada based on his Twitter profile (so I guessed ANN was officially Canadian). I definitely remembered Zac's reign as Answerman ( and Brian's, but I didn't remember Rebecca's). I was right about the site starting in '98, but didn't know that there is no current editor in chief...and I'm still not sure whether Bamboo Dong still works for the site in some capacity...

Interesting poll and history lesson.
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
If you had the misfortune of not reading Zac's Answerman column, do yourself a favor and scroll down to the "Flake of the Week" here. The column was a tad bit different under his reign.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I do miss the flake of the week segments. Some weeks you just needed that laugh.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm partial to Zac's swan song. Laughing

I wasn't around during that time, but I've gone back and looked through a large portion of the entries.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Justin: Age 18 in 1998... Damn you're young.

If you think that's young, I was 8 in 1998. Razz
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
@Joe Carpenter

I, on the other hand, was 53 in 1998. There is a lot to be said about point of view. Regardless, while a lot of 18 year olds then and since have started web pages, very few end up laying the foundation for a successful business.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
Justin: Age 18 in 1998... Damn you're young.

If you think that's young, I was 8 in 1998. Razz

That's actually not too young when compared to the fandom as a whole. I've run polls in various Facebook groups, and the average is usually below 20, meaning most would be toddlers in 1998. If they were even born yet.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
That's actually not too young when compared to the fandom as a whole. I've run polls in various Facebook groups, and the average is usually below 20, meaning most would be toddlers in 1998. If they were even born yet.

Interesting, considering that I was a kid all throughout the 1990's. Wink
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:22 am Reply with quote
I don't think I did too badly. And hey,you learn something new every day,so this wasn't all that bad of an experience for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3