• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya on Home Video in September

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Gosh that is such a BEAUTIFUL LE Funi, haven't seen any of this series as I started collecting anime BD's right around Bandai shut down and learned of it when Funi announced the rescue so I was waiting for the bluray's to release. Can't wait to own it and finally watch it Anime smile Hopefully Code Geass isn't too far away on bluray and I cant wait to see what fancy LE funi has! Anime smile
RoverTX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if I missed this in the article, but I won't have to order this through the horrible Fumimation store will I?
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi Suzumiya..... who's that again?
Vannil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:38 pm Reply with quote
So I guess Funi wasn't able to acquire the licence for The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya? Shame, since it is insanely expensive now and it is really great. Otherwise, i am super stoked to now own the entirety of the series.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
So I guess Funi wasn't able to acquire the licence for The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya? Shame, since it is insanely expensive now and it is really great. Otherwise, i am super stoked to now own the entirety of the series.

Didn't realize the Blurays where going for $350+... I think I need to go put mine in my safe deposit vault.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Any chance of them releasing The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya? The movie was great, but not $170 great.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
It's kinda blowing my mind that this is a 10 year anniversary of when this came out. I remember being not so smart about websites back then that sold bootleg copies of shows like this and in my naivete I bought this show that way and wondered why the subtitles were so horrible... Embarassed

I love my Bandai LE sets of this show, but i would really like to see how much improved the show looks in blu-ray.

Don't disappoint, Funimation!!
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
The "something else" that the Blu-ray case filler box can be replaced by is most likely meant to be the eventually released movie. If I could hazard a guess.
Vash1306

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
This line in FUNimations annoucement implies they either have the rights to it and will be releasing at a later time. Or they are confident they will be able to get it. Since the movie was only release 5 years ago. The rights are probably still in Bandai limbo.
Quote:
Funimation notes that the filler box "happens to be about the same size as a Blu-ray case and can be removed to fit something else…"
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I make sure to buy this. I never finished watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya so this will be a good chance to catch up.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Having watched Season 1 on the standard DVDs from Bandai in what must have been "DVD" order, I think watching Season 1 in broadcast order is best, particularly so you watch the last episode in the broadcast order last. Also, I found watching episode 0 as the first episode wasn't a good choice. I didn't get the Bandai Limited Editions, which included DVDs in broadcast order, but I understand why there was customer demand for that. I hope that the discs are authored in such a way that you can go from watching an episode on one disc to watching the next episode on another disc with the minimum possible delay, although maybe that's common these days.

Glad to see that this release is happening.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
I love my Bandai LE sets of this show, but i would really like to see how much improved the show looks in blu-ray.

I am double dipping on anything that Bandai put out back in the day because the quality of the disks are so low. Any disk from them randomly seem to not work on one or another of my players... really annoying.
Vannil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Vash1306 wrote:
Vannil wrote:
This line in FUNimations annoucement implies they either have the rights to it and will be releasing at a later time. Or they are confident they will be able to get it. Since the movie was only release 5 years ago. The rights are probably still in Bandai limbo.
Quote:
Funimation notes that the filler box "happens to be about the same size as a Blu-ray case and can be removed to fit something else…"

yeah, that makes sense. I must've skipped over that part of the release. I'm just glad to be getting the series to add to my collection.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:

Good thing I already own The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya on DVD. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, on the other hand.... well, I don't own the entire series. I'll most likely buy it, though!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
It is good to see these releases finally. I am planning to buy the BD standard edition of seasons 1 and 2. Hopefully the Disappearance is soon rereleased; I also need a BD version of the movie.

In Funimation's website it says that seasons 1 and 2 are "presented in the same rebroadcast order used on the Japanese Blu-ray release". Does anyone know if that is in chronological order?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4