• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't DVDs On Demand Work For Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Tokyopop do some kind of print on demand for Rave Master with every episode included or at least try to?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't buy DVD-R's, they aren't as reliable as CD-R's at least from my experience, I've had DVD-R's of games not read after 5 years but I still have CD-R's that lasted twice as long and still worked.
GVman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Great article, Justin. This answered a question I've had for a while.

On another note, though, how are normal DVD/BD released printed? I assumed all these discs were burned. Are the notches made into the wires and then set into the disc material?

TnKtRk wrote:
All I have to say is thank you DVD-on-demand. Without you, I wouldn't have classics like Thundarr the Barbarian, Goltar, or Swat Kats on the shelf.
Whaaat? Anime fans THE most discerning customers in the world?
No wonder anime will never be mainstream, not with that attitude.

It certainly does have its uses, but I honestly doubt anime would ever be mainstream anyway, at least in the capacity you're proposing.

Also, thanks for reminding me that I need to pick up Moby Dick and Mighty Mightor. I don't know how that whale never got a concussion with how much it headbutts stuff. Can whales get concussions?

TheMorry wrote:
Right...... 2 different anime DVD with issues.......

What? Do you think he's lying or something?
partially

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
TnKtRk wrote:
Whaaat? Anime fans THE most discerning customers in the world?

wah... Crying or Very sad

I don't think it is a bad thing. Being critical of things, usually does one of two things, drives people away, or forces people to have a good hard look at what they are doing and do better. Obviously the latter is important.

Constructive criticism is a very much needed and poorly neglected thing today unfortunately. Obviously there are a lot of anime fans that just like to whinge about things that can't be helped. But pointing out flaws in a product is NOT a bad thing. I don't know why people continue to think it is. Quite often they are a result of a mistake, or a gap in the training of someone (or multiple someones) within a production line. Both of these things can and should be fixed. Having the attitude that nothing matters as long as you get something, and not pointing errors out so they can be fixed next time, is doing a disservice to everyone.

People simply do not learn without criticism, it is how we learn. Being polite and civil about it helps everyone. Unfortunately that part is lacking a lot of the time in both parties.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:

On another note, though, how are normal DVD/BD released printed? I assumed all these discs were burned. Are the notches made into the wires and then set into the disc material?

The method would be the same as that used for CDs:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_manufacturing
GVman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
And then there's the obvious answer that when Warner Archive MOD's one of their old 30's movies, it was made and owned completely by Warner, was--as the name suggests--just lying around their archival studio vault, and the disk is being produced by the studio, with one less set of royalties to pay.
As opposed to anime, which has to be licensed from the original owners, and as we know, No License Lasts Forever.

It was easy in the old tape-trading days for VHS copy-houses to keep masters of series for years on their website catalogue for someone to come along and ask for eventually, since everything was under the table and no one was being paid.
But if Funi or Discotek wants to offer a lesser-known series any particular time a fan wants it over the next five or ten years, they have to KEEP that license for the next five or ten years, barring any other sudden idiosyncrasy by the Japanese company that suddenly grabs it back.

So we're back to what we fans have always known:
1) Get the word out on a streaming series while you can, to boost the company's confidence, and if they do put it out on disk,
2) GET IT, or miss out.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
TnKtRk wrote:

Working as Intended.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Most curious. I would have assumed that being an anime fan involves having to tolerate one's share of sub-par releases. Inadequate NTSC-to-PAL conversions, VHS upscales, scratchy analogue audio tracks and Evangelion-jitter all grace my collection.

I'm sure this was likely unintentional, but this is one of the most passive-aggressive "Get Off My Lawn" statements I've seen in a while. Wink
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
TnKtRk wrote:

Working as Intended.
Until we get consoles that can play Hi-10P MKVs.
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:21 pm Reply with quote
MKV is a container format; most things support it and playback depends on the codecs which are actually in the file. Playing media files intended for computer playback on a console sounds like a huge waste of time to me (hence I've never tried it), but versions of those files encoded for potato compatibility do exist. For my part, my phone, tablet and computers newer than 2005 play 10-bit video fine.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
The container format can be important: a lot of things aren't made to be compatible with it since it's not exactly mainstream(and if the encoder gets up to any funny business, forget about it). The codec is obviously far more important, since most non-PC devices rely heavily on hardware to do the encoding and can't just be upgraded in situ to add features they weren't originally created to support, but it still needs to be able to understand the container format.

When all that wears thin, though, we'll probably find that fansubs have already moved to h.265.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
I don't buy Anime DVD-Rs since I know that the quality will ALWAYS be subpar when compared to a regular DVD also I'm not afraid to admit that I'm quite a picky Anime fan especially when it comes to quality. Wink
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
@Polycell: Well, my experience with whichever mainstream device people want to play their downloaded movies on is limited, but the TVs, Blu-ray players, and especially stuff like standalone media players you plug hard drives into I've seen have been able to recognise and play MKVs, assuming they support the codecs they use. Although it's true that the 10-bit profile is somewhat avant garde and not well supported in hardware decoding at the moment. I do look forward to h.265 maturing and becoming more suitable for use.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:23 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

What happened to the idea of burning discs locally at a kiosk?
I remember reading about it several years ago. The concept was that you could walk into a store, select what you wanted, and burn the disc right there.

Sounds like it simply isn't feasible to put out a quality product from a kiosk, if the bigger companies can't do it themselves reliably.

Also, I would love that Orguss show, but not on DVD-R.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3