• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't DVDs On Demand Work For Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:17 am Reply with quote
I am willing to say that DVDs On Demand don´t even work for films. There is no money in any of this and everyone can burn an print their own packaging easily.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote
The original motivation for print-on-demand was because of the cost of creating stamp masters. Although I'm a little bit out of date, it's like in the range of $250 a layer or so these days, right?
All the other costs, like the authoring, the subtitling, the package design, etc, aren't saved by going print-on-demand, and the per-disc cost is higher too.

You can do the math, and the range where using print-on-demand is cheaper than using a real pressed disc is something like 0-250 copies.... but the savings is maybe 10% of the overall production cost, and that's not even counting license costs!

If you keep doing the math, you'll see that to cover the other production costs at only ~250 sales you'll have to price the set fairly high. So you end up with a basically untenable business model: Even if print-on-demand would save you money at your expected sales numbers, your overall revenue for a series isn't going to justify putting it out.

The ONLY situation where I could see it being useful is where a publishing company, for some contractual reason, has no choice but to put out a series. In that case they pay as little as possible for all aspects of production.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
, but the TVs, Blu-ray players, and especially stuff like standalone media players you plug hard drives into I've seen have been able to recognise and play MKVs, assuming they support the codecs they use

When playing from an external hard drive, some TV's don't show the sub-titles, while others do. Sometimes there are problems in timing, where the sub-titles don't match the spoken words, I have had a lot of success, but even then you tend to get a lot of artifacts.

I hope you are right and things get better.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

As opposed to anime, which has to be licensed from the original owners, and as we know, No License Lasts Forever.

While that is certainly true now, apparently that wasn't the case once upon a time. AFAIK, Harmony Gold's licenses for the series that made up Robotech and Voyager Entertainment's license for Space Battleship Yamato series are eternal.

No doubt most of the reason for this was that home video was in its infancy, and little long term value was seen in these series by the companies that held the original copyright.
PMDR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
The appeal of burned discs to a company like Warner is simple: they have a huge library of titles. If they want to sell these titles to customers, they have a choice of doing it the traditional way, which is proper mastering and production, packaging, kitting as needed, shipping the final product to huge retailers hoping for shelf space and no returns, or risk of their films ending up in the $5 bargain bins. If they make a disc nobody wants to sell, they could end up with just tons of the things sitting in a warehouse waiting to be remaindered or written off entirely. There is a lot of risk to making disc like that if the demand is unclear.

So the idea of making it on demand means you don't have to do a print run of 50,000 discs and hope they don't end up sitting in a warehouse, or 100,000 copies for Walmart. All losses from unsold discs are erased. You don't end up remaindering 10,000 copies to Big Lots or Ollie's, or just dumping them in a landfill. From a manufacturing and warehousing standpoint, there are lot of reasons make-on-demand works.

But there are lots of reasons it does not work. For me, I am not overly concerned about fancy menus and slipcases when it is a choice between seeing the show at all versus not seeing it, ever. This is why a lot of us used to tolerate 4th gen VHS copies: it was that or nothing. BUT

The issue of disc quality and longevity has also been touched on and this is a Real Thing (TM). I've got boxes full of burned CD-Rs which have delaminated and fallen apart, and this from supposed superior name brands like Verbatim. Many other cheap brands of discs are made in factories where doing it cheaply matters more than quality. There are also fraudsters who copy the look and feel of a better disc but supply a fake dirtbag quality disc. These people have even been known to fool buyers from big chain stores and online retailer, so you never really know if you're buying a real Ritek disc or a fake.

As a result, I don't trust any burned disc for anything I absolutely have to keep. Luckily the need for burning things like data backups has decreased as the cost of hard drives has made backing up to a second drive the far more economical and faster option.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
When playing from an external hard drive, some TV's don't show the sub-titles, while others do. Sometimes there are problems in timing, where the sub-titles don't match the spoken words, I have had a lot of success, but even then you tend to get a lot of artifacts.

I have a DLNA server running and use that sometimes with my TV or smart phone. In general I find modern commercial devices only have problems with 10-bit H.264 and ASS subtitles. My 3-4 year-old LG TV will often display the subtitling commands (location, color, styles, etc.) along with the subtitle texts themselves. I don't think I have anything in H.265 yet, so I can't speak to that.

Matroska (.MKV) now seems pretty widely supported, though some Sony equipment only likes MP4 and older formats like AVI.

MXPlayer for Android phones is a pretty full-featured player, on a par with mplayer for computers. These days I use mplayer's descendant mpv; that seems to play anything including H.265. I run Linux, but there are mpv builds for Windows as well.

If I were going to buy a download-to-disc image, I'd want an .iso disk image rather than a physical disk. Most software can play disk images directly, and you'd have a backup in case a physical disk goes south. Of course, no distributor would give me an .iso image even though they know that I can rip any DVD to the equivalent image with easily available software.
GVman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
[quote="TarsTarkas"]
Touma wrote:

Also, I would love that Orguss show, but not on DVD-R.

Well, you're in luck, because Discotek put it out on professionally-pressed DVDs, in case you weren't aware.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
DJStarstryker wrote:
DVD-Rs also don't last as long as commercially-pressed DVDs. I don't like to buy them, as a result. You can legally stream a LOT of anime. If I just want to watch an anime once, I can just stream it. Nowadays I only buy physical copies of anime that I know I want to watch multiple times. Therefore, I want it to last a long time.

I'm in the exact same boat. I'll leave series I deem forgettable up in the cloud, but ones I'll re-watch are the ones I'll be buying.

Media Blasters has some series I'd like to own, but some of them were released on DVD-R, so I won't be owning them. They do have the upcoming My Wife is the Student Council President release...and I'm hoping that they release that one on BD (as, apparently, their BD releases aren't BD-Rs).
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:21 am Reply with quote
DJStarstryker wrote:
DVD-Rs also don't last as long as commercially-pressed DVDs. I don't like to buy them, as a result. You can legally stream a LOT of anime. If I just want to watch an anime once, I can just stream it. Nowadays I only buy physical copies of anime that I know I want to watch multiple times. Therefore, I want it to last a long time.

and the most important thing why it dont work is that most people dont even know them. which was the case when manga ent created a website called sputnik 7 so people can see their least popular series online and for free back in the late 90's/early 2000's. a couple of them i watched over and over on that site were Red Hawk and the Orguss 02 OVAs .

can be surprised that companies are instead to stream their series online first then release them on DVD afterwards. doing it the vice versa no longer makes sense i'm afraid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I have a few MOD DVDs, mostly from Warner Archive, and a couple from Nickelodeon. The discs themselves turned out fine, I have no problems with them. The picture quality is no different than traditionally pressed discs.

BD-R is really difficult to do though. Even Warner Archive's Blu-rays are traditionally pressed (just in limited quantities, and sold exclusively online), same with Media Blasters. Nickelodeon has released some discs this way though.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I have a few MOD DVDs, mostly from Warner Archive, and a couple from Nickelodeon. The discs themselves turned out fine, I have no problems with them. The picture quality is no different than traditionally pressed discs.
BD-R is really difficult to do though. Even Warner Archive's Blu-rays are traditionally pressed (just in limited quantities, and sold exclusively online), same with Media Blasters. Nickelodeon has released some discs this way though.

Yes, I've noticed that most of the "Eww, they'll use cheap DVD-R's from Staples, and they'll all melt in your player!" fearmongering against the MOD model is from those who've never actually bought a studio Archive disk.

I've got a few from Warner and MGM, and they're good professional traditionally-pressed quality. The movies were even remastered in widescreen and looked better than the VHS's I'd had for years up to that point, so the studio clearly intended them to be "official" releases, just with a more foolproof sales model. (And which, to neurotic-paranoid Warner, means selling any old movie on disk that isn't Batman, Harry Potter, The Hobbit, or Seven/GoodFellas.)
Like you said, it's only the brief 90's cable-network rush, when Nick and History Channel jumped on the DVD craze to give viewers quick copies of episodes, that we got rushed backroom DVD-R disks.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:49 am Reply with quote
DJStarstryker wrote:
Touma wrote:

What happened to the idea of burning discs locally at a kiosk?
I remember reading about it several years ago. The concept was that you could walk into a store, select what you wanted, and burn the disc right there. I do not remember if the files were to be stored on a local server or downloaded over a network.
As far as I know it was never actually done, but it is an interesting idea.

Did that ever actually happen? The only thing I can recall for burned DVDs at a store kiosk was digital photos.

I was originally going to bring these up, but I did actually see one before, I believe at a Blockbuster Video. Blockbuster did all sorts of weird experimental stuff in the 90's and 00's (like that Pokémon Snap printer that none of the Blockbuster Video people understood, and thus I was never able to get my photos printed), and the draw was that you'd get movies for cheap as you wait for the machine to put the data on the disk. I never used it, so I don't really know what happened to it.

partially wrote:
I don't think it is a bad thing. Being critical of things, usually does one of two things, drives people away, or forces people to have a good hard look at what they are doing and do better. Obviously the latter is important.

Constructive criticism is a very much needed and poorly neglected thing today unfortunately. Obviously there are a lot of anime fans that just like to whinge about things that can't be helped. But pointing out flaws in a product is NOT a bad thing. I don't know why people continue to think it is. Quite often they are a result of a mistake, or a gap in the training of someone (or multiple someones) within a production line. Both of these things can and should be fixed. Having the attitude that nothing matters as long as you get something, and not pointing errors out so they can be fixed next time, is doing a disservice to everyone.

People simply do not learn without criticism, it is how we learn. Being polite and civil about it helps everyone. Unfortunately that part is lacking a lot of the time in both parties.

I think the issue here is the lack of tolerance and forgiveness. I don't know much about how anime fans often treat their home video releases, but I have been parts of other fandoms notorious for their pickiness, and preference of insults over constructive criticism is only one problem of many, including lifelong boycotts or death threats over what were clearly mistakes or unavoidable issues in production, said flaws becoming excuses to pirate the material instead of buying it, or expecting the industry to behave in a particular way and then ranting and complaining when they don't. In these cases, they aren't of any help, and they're actively refusing to help.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:31 am Reply with quote
So what are MOD discs?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:02 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

So what are MOD discs?

Like how those Brits in Clockwork Orange watch their films
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I think the issue here is the lack of tolerance and forgiveness. I don't know much about how anime fans often treat their home video releases, but I have been parts of other fandoms notorious for their pickiness, and preference of insults over constructive criticism is only one problem of many, including lifelong boycotts or death threats over what were clearly mistakes or unavoidable issues in production, said flaws becoming excuses to pirate the material instead of buying it, or expecting the industry to behave in a particular way and then ranting and complaining when they don't. In these cases, they aren't of any help, and they're actively refusing to help.

Sounds to me you're describing a bunch of anime fans I've seen posting online...Laughing

AoA related threads bring some out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3