• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Libre Ends Publishing Agreement With Digital Manga, Inc.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tailwhip

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Loveless100 wrote:

Edit/P.S: Something to note, ending an agreement with a company doesn't necessarily release the rights of the manga licensed. Those have to ride out until those individual contracts end. So unless the contracts end on June 30th, it'll be a while until we hear imprints like SuBLime pick up Finder or Twittering Birds or whatever. I think it's safe to say that those titles, especially ones currently serialized in magazines, will probably be picked up but for the ones that are complete, it'll be a hard call.

It said so in the article it's over for DMP. They won't even be able to publish finder v8 and Finder and Border are the only Libre title they had released in recent years. The other title license probably has lapse on it own since they are no longer in the market.

"We are stunned and saddened that Libre has chosen to end our publishing agreement and included ongoing titles like Finder..."

I wish other Japanese publisher follow suit, I rather wait in the wind for better publisher who can perform to take over. With the combine frustration of book got sold out even though I pre-ordered, books get sold out before it hit the market and never get reprinted, delayed releases for years, series being dropped unannounced, bad translation, bad quality ebook I just can't /refuse support them in anyway anymore. They don't have my pity.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I just hope this won't have too devastating of an effect on the Kodomo no Jikan kickstarter by DMP's new PeCChi imprint.

Even if the campaign reaches the goal, it'd be a bit troublesome if the company behind it goes belly-up before fulfillment. Despite their dysfunctional structure, they might be the only publisher perhaps aside FAKKU to have the balls to release it in the West...
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Loveless100 wrote:

Edit/P.S: Something to note, ending an agreement with a company doesn't necessarily release the rights of the manga licensed. Those have to ride out until those individual contracts end. So unless the contracts end on June 30th, it'll be a while until we hear imprints like SuBLime pick up Finder or Twittering Birds or whatever. I think it's safe to say that those titles, especially ones currently serialized in magazines, will probably be picked up but for the ones that are complete, it'll be a hard call.

Twittering Birds isn't published by Libre though so they should still have that. They told me on Twitter not too long ago that they were going to reprint volume 1 with a new translation as the old one sucked.
Asami Ryuichi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
If they decided to start all from the beginning then it's gonna take a long ride all over again. Then no one should bring up the "Lose" matter in this case. Many people say who even contacted some people from the publishers that because of lose they decided to end the contract because the artists or publishers gaining nothing from it. But I think it's not The real deal. We can't say anything until Libre itself announce something that makes sense. Publishing from the vol 1 is a good idea with new team who are worthy but also now it has to take everything back as it's started. but I don't think it's gonna happen. As Yamane Ayano told us to wait then I think they have something else to come up with because no one wants to make their own lose.
Loveless100

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
tailwhip wrote:

It said so in the article it's over for DMP. They won't even be able to publish finder v8 and Finder and Border are the only Libre title they had released in recent years. The other title license probably has lapse on it own since they are no longer in the market.

"We are stunned and saddened that Libre has chosen to end our publishing agreement and included ongoing titles like Finder..."

I wish other Japanese publisher follow suit, I rather wait in the wind for better publisher who can perform to take over. With the combine frustration of book got sold out even though I pre-ordered, books get sold out before it hit the market and never get reprinted, delayed releases for years, series being dropped unannounced, bad translation, bad quality ebook I just can't /refuse support them in anyway anymore. They don't have my pity.

Finder aside, that's typically what happens. I apologize for choosing a bad example to compare to. I agree about Border. Perhaps this was the official close out when all licenses expire at the end of the month.

It might also be related to money. I bet DMP was giving them pennies for licenses while other companies are giving a better amount due to the fanbase growing.

I've noticed that their business strategy was very much like Tokyopop's strategy towards the end of its life. They are delving in many different areas in the hopes of hitting it off again like its June line. We all know DMG is dead but I wonder how well Project H is even doing for them...

By the end of it I was buying off of their Ecom site Akadot to guarantee I get the book...but even then it was a shot in the dark...

Blanchimont wrote:
I just hope this won't have too devastating of an effect on the Kodomo no Jikan kickstarter by DMP's new PeCChi imprint.

Even if the campaign reaches the goal, it'd be a bit troublesome if the company behind it goes belly-up before fulfillment. Despite their dysfunctional structure, they might be the only publisher perhaps aside FAKKU to have the balls to release it in the West...

Kickstarter funded projects (most likely) won't be affected due to the upfront capital for production, it's more an issue for anything in this so called line that will be produced without the use of Kickstarter.

{Edit}: We generally prefer users do not make consecutive posts here, but instead just post their multiple responses in 1 post. Helps with clutter. I've merged your posts for you. ~ Psycho 101}
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:42 am Reply with quote
@Asami Ryuichi
Please stop bothering Yamane sensei on Twitter. You are only adding to her worries. She and Libre will announce when they are ready to announce. In the meantime please do not make assumptions or spread those assumptions as if they were fact. Sensei understands that her foreign readers are confused and worried but the more you pester her the more uneasy she will feel.
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:07 am Reply with quote
^Mew, thanks for your message to Yamane sensei letting her know most of us understand her predicament and support her patiently.
Asami Ryuichi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:40 am Reply with quote
Do Not take my statement offensive. And as you said do not speak on twitter or whatever. Thus truth won't change for what's going on. I respect her a lot and she has a right to know about what's going around where you and she can't see. As you have no idea where did I come from nor I'm willing to speak of it. but either way silence won't make things right. Giving false hope doesn't change the fact. We all Concerned about how stressed she is about this matter and same other people are specially those who live overseas hardcore supporters. Speaking of such doesn't offend me at all from your side because I will do whatever possible to put pressure on publishers. Just so they will speak sooner or later but must. Of course I won't waste my power I have. I do not mean to pressure on my lady Yamane Ayano. whatever the lead I'll get to support her and make her worry less than from such situations, I'll give my best. Thanks for encouraging me by The way. -smirks-
Asami Ryuichi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:44 am Reply with quote
About "Spreading Assumptions" that you added here. Then let me make it clear. That it doesn't come from me. People who know what's been going on around and not letting anyone to know about it. Involve in this case. If your curious enough to know then I can show you screenshots for your satisfaction. But on what bases should I do that? For someone who doesn't want me here at all because I'm willing to speak The truth. then sure we are waiting until the announcement.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:01 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
^Mew, thanks for your message to Yamane sensei letting her know most of us understand her predicament and support her patiently.

Hey you. =) And no problem, though I just realized I used the wrong kanji when writing a certain name. ^^; Anyway, I think she is a bit more relieved knowing that we understand.

@Asami Ryuichi
I'm sorry but it is you who do not understand. Yamane sensei has no control over her works' licenses. Sensei and Libre are very much aware of the popularity of her works overseas. I am sure they are already working on having another publisher pick up the rights to Finder. She is sad that DPM's message is so one-sided and causing confusion among her readers, and she has already politely asked that you wait for Libre's announcement. Please honor her wish and wait patiently instead of harassing her to hurry up and give us news. That will come in time when all parties are ready.

Also, please NEVER mention "English scans" to mangaka. Scans are illegal. It doesn't matter if official books are difficult to find in your country. They are illegal no matter what and even if it is the only for some people to read an author's works, the author does not want (or need) to hear that their work is being illegally distributed. It is very rude. There are some things that are better left unsaid, and this also includes what other "fans" may be saying about this situation. If you care about how stressed Sensei is then please do not add to her stress.

Last edited by crosswithyou on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Asami Ryuichi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:19 am Reply with quote
In the first place if I don't understand then I would have never join this discussion forums. About scans? Then it doesn't matter at all here but translations in different language licensed work im here up with. Which at least over seas readers can buy online. for your kind of information no one here telling lady Yamane Ayano to "hurry up and give us the news" because we need her to relax and not to worry about something she owns. If your taking me for a stupid fan then it's your wrong assumption. "My gentleman" of course things are good unspoken the less they know the less problems occur. Im aware of. I don't want lady Yamane Ayano to be this much stress because one way or The other, everything is in her court. Finder is like a diamond she owns, bring it up and those who worth it will value that work even more higher. Quality matters not quantity. Kindly I would say not to teach Me because I know of my actions. I'm speaking of facts and not making any troubles for our lady Yamane Ayano. About publishers? They always make troubles the only difference is no one comes forward to speak fair. If anyone make any kind of trouble for lady Yamane Ayano then it will be no good. I take full responsibility of my actions. Hope I made myself clear to you even though it wasn't necessary.
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:26 am Reply with quote
An irony here is that the actual character Asami Ryuichi would be acutely aware that people truly in the know about business deals never broadcast their knowledge on internet forums. Can you imagine him sneaking online at the office and posting on 2-chan or reddit? ROFL.
Asami Ryuichi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
What I am doing that benefits me. -smirks- there is nothing more and nothing less. Im not at least exposing here anyone be grateful for that. So there is a difference. You know what's creative? When you don't stay a limited edition of some character. So I'll take your passing comment as a compliment.
Asami Ryuichi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:45 am Reply with quote
And of all things, unlike The others I'm no The decoration of Asami Ryuichi. if he would really exists then I'm Sure he'd get many haters, because most people think he only looks good in books because if he comes to actions then know exactly what's gonna happen. Isn't it? My good lady? -softly grins-
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:03 am Reply with quote
@Asami Ryuichi

Quote:
@yamaneayano nothing will be cleared unless the publishers will speak and let fans know the matter. It will be spread like a huge mess.

https://twitter.com/AsamiRyuichi92/status/744764595206774784

I would definitely say you were telling Yamane sensei to hurry up and give us news, and this was after she had already asked you to please wait for Libre's announcement.

Quote:
We were waiting for English Scans but in the end we got this? What about finder's English supporters? @yamaneayano

https://twitter.com/AsamiRyuichi92/status/744013385327591424/photo/1

This was not a smart thing to say to Yamane sensei. Please don't tag her in any tweets that mention scans. Scans are illegal.

I am trying to be very polite to you. Perhaps it is because you are not a native English speaker that your ideas are not expressed the way you intend, but what you write is very strong and can be considered rude. Please be very careful with what you write to Sensei.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5