• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Libre Ends Publishing Agreement With Digital Manga, Inc.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Asami Ryuichi wrote:
@Toshirodragon Do not take me for a stupid child. If you wish to speak then be mature enough to response than being childish. If I'm in this forum among all of you means I am someone who should be here. Im not being rude and not disrespecting anyone here. If you treat me as some foolish child you'll receive the same thing from me. Hope I made myself clear. I do not like the tone you just spoke in to be honest.

Oh you little ray of sunshine, I don't have to take you for anything but what you have proved yourself to be in this post.

You have fabulous day now, ye hear!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Asami Ryuichi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
And you didn't prove anything in this post cupcake. Behave yourself or else you'll get the same thing. As I said give respect and receive the same. Better do not pull anything over me here and stick with the main topic. because that is more important thing than you and I. Got that? Better.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Asami Ryuichi wrote:
@Animechic420 @Sunflower both if you don't want me to pull another 100 comments then better not jump in The middle. kindly it's my humble request.

You won't pull another 100 comments because I am telling you to stop now. To make sure you understand I am a moderator here at ANN. You're actually the one that actually needs to behave himself. You have been very rude and obnoxious to the other users. You also have been doing what we call "soapboxing". That is against the rules and so is being rude and insulting other users. The discussion is going off topic because you won't let anyone else speak without a rude or creepy post from you. You can go stalk and harass people on twitter but not here. So I am telling you to stop with the constant soapboxing posts and harassment. If you do not stop the moderators will remove your posts from the discussion.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:05 am Reply with quote
Lol this is what you'll expect from a licensed product, well most of us outside wouldnt care because it's a western port... But oh boy this will encourage some people to just read online scanlations
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:11 am Reply with quote
archyteckie08 wrote:
On Yamane Ayano's Twitter, she said that "Readers are being too one sided about the English copyright issue and that I would like a more balance discussion". Doesn't sound like someone stressed about not having their work in English published. But really why should she? Japanese manga artists receive incredibly small or no pay for their overseas sales anyway. Japan is their money maker.

Actually she wrote: "What's up with the English version rights holder spreading one-sided views that confuse readers? I wish they would wait until after discussions are properly finished."

So yes, I think Yamane sensei is a bit stressed about it because DMI is making one-sided statements aimed at making Libre the bad guy. It sounds as if talks weren't completely done yet either when DMI made their announcement that they were losing the licenses. If that's the case then I think DMI lost any chance of making an amicable break. With their blame-y attitude, it's not likely they'll ever be able to license any new titles from Libre, and if word of this spreads in Japan then this could very much have an effect on their attempts at licensing titles from other publishers as well.

Anyway, if her interaction with foreign fans on Twitter is any indication, Yamane sensei definitely cares about this issue and she isn't just about the money. She would like to have her work officially available in English so that many may have the chance to enjoy it without resorting to other means. I'm sure many fans have gone crying to her, telling her how difficult some of the English volumes are to purchase.

(Oh, and hi Kris!)
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
Whining about how it is "unfair" and "unjust", and saying that fans will have to resort to scanlations now? What unprofessional behavior, especially in a field where everything depends on the Japanese publishers wanting to deal with you. DMP is easily the most unprofessional manga publisher in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if this behavior spills over into their dealings with other publishers.
Loveless100

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
archyteckie08 wrote:
On Yamane Ayano's Twitter, she said that "Readers are being too one sided about the English copyright issue and that I would like a more balance discussion". Doesn't sound like someone stressed about not having their work in English published. But really why should she? Japanese manga artists receive incredibly small or no pay for their overseas sales anyway. Japan is their money maker.

Actually she wrote: "What's up with the English version rights holder spreading one-sided views that confuse readers? I wish they would wait until after discussions are properly finished."

So yes, I think Yamane sensei is a bit stressed about it because DMI is making one-sided statements aimed at making Libre the bad guy. It sounds as if talks weren't completely done yet either when DMI made their announcement that they were losing the licenses. If that's the case then I think DMI lost any chance of making an amicable break. With their blame-y attitude, it's not likely they'll ever be able to license any new titles from Libre, and if word of this spreads in Japan then this could very much have an effect on their attempts at licensing titles from other publishers as well.

Anyway, if her interaction with foreign fans on Twitter is any indication, Yamane sensei definitely cares about this issue and she isn't just about the money. She would like to have her work officially available in English so that many may have the chance to enjoy it without resorting to other means. I'm sure many fans have gone crying to her, telling her how difficult some of the English volumes are to purchase.

(Oh, and hi Kris!)

I've had the honor of meeting Yamane-sensei in the past and what I saw was how much she loves her fans. I hope this settles down fast for her sake...Finder is a series that she made with love and wanted to share it with the world. The fact that they made such remarks, implying English speaking regions will never get Vol. 8, probably puts a lot of stress on her. From what she said on Twitter (thanks for the translation btw) I think she knows (generally) what will happen in the talks, and it will probably be good for all those involved, but due to NDAs she cannot say right now. Fans need to put their faith in Yamane-sensei and Libre to make a deal that's best for them and ultimately the fans.

Half of me thinks that DMI decided to let people know that "they won't get their BL boo hoo" in the efforts of creating some sort of grassroots uprising towards Libre, but I think that shows that they really don't understand the fanbase. We know quality, we know what is fair and just and what is best for the industry as a whole. Considering the supply/demand issue overall with the publisher, I'm not surprised to see everyone here and on twitter responding to this news this way. I apologize for sounding a bit like a conspiracy theorist, but considering the tone of their press release that's the conclusion I came to...

On the note of reputation, if they're burning the bridge with Libre, they're basically burning a bridge with Animate. In short, they just burned a bridge with the largest anime merchandiser in Japan, if not the world. Animate deals with every publisher and manufacturer for their shops. Besides smaller publishers, I think DMI is in serious trouble with their senseless remarks.
JLightstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I actually had to check the books I got from the Finder Kickstarter so in terms of Finder and Kizuna, I am good. I wanted to buy the Sakira books through the kickstarter but I couldn't at that time.

Anyways, Libre has a right to end a contract if they wish but for DMP/DMI to say that fans will resort to scanlations if Libre ended their contact was wrong but at the same time a bit right. I think it depends on the fan in question. I can only speak for myself that I haven't had much time to read Finder so the wait for volume eight is not really on the top of my priorities. However, some people do want to see the latest chapter of the series and may not know Japanese ( or whatever version is floating around) so scanlations is bound to happen, I think it comes down to self restraint.

A side observation, I thought the reason Volume 8 wasn't published was because Yamano-sensei had posted a tweet on twitter that a place that produced the inks that were used in the Japanese editions could no longer supply to clients so they have find a new distributor.
tailwhip

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:

Well, I did not expect that the discussion was still ongoing. I see now that DMP was the one who burned the bridge before final word from Libre. They were never the wisest publisher.

JLightstar wrote:
Anyways, Libre has a right to end a contract if they wish but for DMP/DMI to say that fans will resort to scanlations if Libre ended their contact was wrong but at the same time a bit right.

I honestly feel this statement from DMP is extremely immature and unprofessional. I took it as they tried to rattle Libre like saying "it's either us or scanlation" but in fact those that actually get angry and complains are the one that bought DMP books.

Their inability to keep the book in print or the constant delay isn't helping either.
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm not a Finder fan, so I don't have a dog in that fight, but I'm pleased to have Libre go to an exclusive deal with SuBLime. Jennifer is quite pleasant to talk to and interacts very well with fans on both Facebook and SuBLime's webpage. The books are well done and I wouldn't know a bad translation from a good one, the writing is much smoother than some of June's past efforts. And well I'll love forever anyone who gives me Shiuko Kano, Sakuragi Yaya AND Naono Bohra Laughing

On the whole, I'm going to call it a wise marketing strategy on Libre's part.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5