• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Favorite Song - The Silver Siren

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
this is a lovely review, almost would work as some kid of themplate for the genre, even. I lvoe how it highlits both the shortcomings and the strenghts of the novel on context.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:06 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
samuelp wrote:

Both are originally web novels released for free on ncode shousetsu.

I thought that was clear from my post?

Like fanfic?
Aidepeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:31 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Just looked on Amazon.co.jp, and am I right in saying that this got an English release without having even gotten a light novel release in Japan? Wow. And this is a way obscure one too; it's not on SnN's all-time top 300 or even listed on Novel Updates.

What's SnN's all-time top 300?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
Aidepeer wrote:
What's SnN's all-time top 300?

SnN is short for Shousetsuka ni Narou. Almost any Japanese webnovel you've heard of, including My Favorite Song, was originally posted there -- it's the original home of Log Horizon, Mahouka, DanMachi, Re:Zero, KonoSuba, and Overlord, just listing the ones that have gotten anime adaptations. Mushoku Tensei, Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody, and The Rising of the Shield Hero are also from there. Gate is one of the rare exceptions; Sword Art Online too, though I think only the first volume of that started online. (Pretty sure Maoyuu doesn't count.)

The site shows lists of the most popular stories over the last day/week/month/quarter/year, along with an all-time cumulative listing. The listing only shows the top 300, and I can't find any way to show more.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
samuelp wrote:

Both are originally web novels released for free on ncode shousetsu.

I thought that was clear from my post?

Like fanfic?

Closer to how The Martian came about, or to other self-published works (such as things offered for 99 cents on Amazon.)
lebrel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
This sounds interesting, especially as it seems to be digitally available; I've had mixed experiences with light novels but I might give it a shot.

Rebecca wrote:
were Kieli and Book Girl the only two female-oriented light novel series to finish in English (in 2013 and 2014 respectively)?

I thought those were both male-oriented???

I think that at the moment the majority of female-targeted light novels in English are still BL (all from DMP, except for a few odd digital-only things from Japanese companies - or direct from the artist); there's maybe 20 titles that have been published (some of which are pretty good), but most are painfully out of print (although a few of DMP's titles are also available digitally, I think).
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Closer to how The Martian came about, or to other self-published works (such as things offered for 99 cents on Amazon.)

Free online English fiction isn't really centralized like its Japanese counterparts. You've got some stories on WordPress blogs, some on FictionPress, some on some other sites. Andy Weir had websites of his own dating to years before he wrote a word of The Martian.

The closest English-language counterpart to SnN would be fanfic archives like FanFiction.Net (where Fifty Shades of Grey came from) or AO3. FictionPress, FF.Net's original-fiction counterpart, would theoretically count, but it's not nearly as popular as SnN, which is one of the top 100 websites in Japan. And the site design seems a lot creakier; it's about six years older and the software seems to have been modified less.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2