• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love Live! Sunshine!! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote

Season 1 - Love Live! Sunshine!! (TV)
Season 2 - Love Live! Sunshine!! (TV 2) (discussion starts here)
Spinoff - Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club (TV) (discussed here)

Genres: comedy, drama
Themes: idols, music, school

Plot Summary: Love Live! Sunshine!! follows the nine-member school idol group Aqours (pronounced "aqua") at Uranohoshi Girls' Academy in Numazu, Shizuoka Prefecture. Chika Takami, who is a fan of the Otonokizaka Academy's μ's school idol group, similarly forms Aqours in order to save her school from being closed down.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

So it begins again!

Super first episode! I'm happy with the way each new character was given some screen time. I'm also glad that they managed to include μ's, since it was established they were Chika's main influence for starting a School Idol Club. Though the feels were running pretty high during μ's 'Start:Dash!!' performance as it's only been 3 months since the 'Final Live'.

The OP and ED was both really nice and looking much more fluid, which has been a constant feature of Aqours and their recent singles.

Looking good so far!

Also, Aqours first Live was announced with balloting tickets being made available with the release of the first Blu-ray volume on 27/9.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
My top 1 anime of the summer and my goodness, the premier was awesome. The OP and ED credits were great, especially that You photobomb. Got to love Yoshiko and her chuuni personality. I did not expect the new LL to be hotter and sexier (and maybe yuri-er as well).
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
That was not bad, not bad at all! Cute girls, good music and beautiful scenery... and a tad yurific. Looking forward to the next episode!
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I think out of the new girls, Riko is my favorite so far.

Nice songs so far as well. This is exactly what I had expected so I'm satisfied at what I saw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
ep 01
"that was a fun first episode"
we get a first glance at all the girls with the focus on Chika and You, it is interesting path that the effort to form the Idol Club is simply because of Chika's strive to be just "a little bit more than normal" and we aren't shoe horned in some sort of sub plot about keeping the school around.

The winner is some of the rather energetic comedy poses which no doubt some will be cut and pasted into future memes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I expected the worst, Love Live had kind of had enough success that it seemed they likely could get away with bare minimum, with the new cast they could even use not so expensive voices or something and it could be cheap. Really surprising then that if anything this seems better. It took much of beats usual for the series, but did not feel like it repeated it. It looks good, sounds good and was playing out well, it is entertaining.

Not sure if it is foreshadowing yet, but the student council president actually being aware of the Love Live competition and the requirements, seems to hint that she is not as against School Idols as she appears. Her serious yet dorky character, like hurting her hand, did make her a kind of funny character. My favourite character so far is Tsushima Yoshiko, her chuunibyou personality seems fun, small shots like her reading a book on magic in class are worth a little laugh.

I guess that I have high hopes now. For anyone maybe reading this wondering if it looks like you need to watch the first series, I don't think it will be the case, the first episode of this spinoff seemed to have a couple of references to the first, but not really anything that would require seeing the other two.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Was I the only one hoping for someone to tell the main character "but that's just an anime."? That would have been a twist for a solid premise but I guess "Love Live in the sticks" is ok too.

But it still puts it behind AKB0048 in terms of possible entertainment value for me. Real social satire is always a welcome bonus for me.

Beautifully designed, very... Haruhiesque dancing ending. Negatives... ah, what is a school idol exactly anyway? And how can there be an amateur club to create one?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Negatives... ah, what is a school idol exactly anyway? And how can there be an amateur club to create one?

Kind of what it sounds like, an idol group for a school, not too different from a school sports team. As mentioned in the episode, they have to write their own music and all that jazz too, although how autonomous they have to be has never really been talked about, teachers have not really had any big roles. The first season had the characters coming together to try and improve the image of their school to save it, in the club aspect, it actually had a pretty funny in essence it would overlap with an idol research club.
casualfan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Great first episode. I can't believe I could enjoy the series more than the original, but really loving this new set of characters. Hopefully they can maintain this pace and animation quality for the rest of the season.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Another wonderful episode.

Aqours secure their third member on the path to righteousness after an entire episode of begging from Chika. There's been fan theories suggesting that the third years; Kanan, Dia and Mari have previously tried to become School Idol's, which is brought further to light by Dia's fan-girling of μ's and total disagreement with starting a club (Very much like the Nico Nico Nii). We also had a few more minutes of Kanan, which I'm very much grateful for!

Rika's version of 'Yume no Tobira', was a very sweet and touching nod towards μ's to finish the episode and I can't wait to hear the full version in due time. They just don't want these 'feels' to disappear, do they?

I must also applaud the picturesque nature and soundtrack of Sunshine!!, especially during the diving scene. Bringing the series to the seaside has really done it wonders.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2.

I was bored and distracted by this one. I just keep going back to how deep K-On is compared to this franchise. Learning to sing, learning to dance-haha, playing-? No, this is Idol own, miladdio, we have people who do those things for you.

And the references; To me, Sunshine is more like its devouring the first series in order to survive. "Hey, you know this? We know it too. And we know it better than you."

Also, we people to remember it for you. Oh boy... entertainment by proxy.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Just started. Episode 1: way too much screaming. I had to turn the sound down it was giving me a headache.

Everything perfectly predictable so far, except the girl taking a long walk on a short pier.

I like the setting, the character designs, and the animation particularly the 3D animation. I hope one or more of the girls from the previous Love Live season get a part in this one.

Nothing sexier than a well formed girl in a wetsuit.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I kind of did not process it before, but if Riko did really transfer from Otonokizaka, that must have mean that she was in the single first years class, which also had Maki who is also a talented piano player. I liked the loudspeaker and lollipop scene.

Quote:
I was bored and distracted by this one. I just keep going back to how deep K-On is compared to this franchise. Learning to sing, learning to dance-haha, playing-? No, this is Idol own, miladdio, we have people who do those things for you.

Because being an idol is easy with little effort? Have you seen the first series, because it was a pretty consistent theme of people thinking it was easy work, that even the main heroine thinking it would not be very hard. Before finding out how much effort would be required to both sing and dance without running out of breath. The characters had to do running exercises in the morning and afternoon everyday as well as other exercises in increasing endurance and flexibility, then on top of that they had to practice their dancing, and then singing. And before that was their prep work writing lyrics and the music, making the choreography, and making the costumes, the characters had different talents to split those parts up, but it was something the characters did.

So far the characters of this season are barely at the starting line, barely any confirmed members, came up with a the ideas of a song, but have not even started training yet. Knowing the importance that the previous series put on training I think that it is safe to say that it is coming, and like Honoka, Chika is probably going to struggle.

Rather than being self referential to survive, I think that it is largely confronting the topics on hand. The original group is an important topic, there must be a level of irony that although Dia sprouts all that fan girl facts of Muse, focusing on such details of themselves or groups that inspired them would seem inconsequential.... except one character, which might place Dia as the new Nico (although characters seem to at least be a combination). So far the series seems to be putting up the wall that of trying to stop the illusion that these characters are going to have an easy time to just become the group. The musician is not going to out of the blue decide to join, the student president or fan girl are not going to just accept the group, and I am going to guess that a character won't just stop being shy so easily. I think that it is a mistake to take the quoting of the old group to mean it is relying on just it show a new group form without taking necessary steps.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
So far the characters of this season are barely at the starting line, barely any confirmed members, came up with a the ideas of a song, but have not even started training yet. Knowing the importance that the previous series put on training I think that it is safe to say that it is coming, and like Honoka, Chika is probably going to struggle.

One major difference between the two stories is before Otonokizaka Academy was about to be shut down and the idol project was a way to save it. We don't see Uranohoshi under any such threat, so the whole motive to all the effort is Chika's radiated effervescence. Given all the effort that you listed that is in store you have to wonder if she is really going to stick with it.

Of course we know she will (no anime otherwise) but the question is how believable it is. That might be a low bar but they have to clear it anyways. On the plus side she has an example to follow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3