• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love Live! Sunshine!! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

I'm glad we're getting some more characterization here. At this point, Dia's made it clear she's just saying what she's allowed to instead of telling Chika to do the anatomically impossible; she might be rejecting an idol club due to hero worship, but it definitely seems like Chika's the main problem right now.

Ruby's starting to look like the type who will quietly long for something at a distance but has to be dragged into it(like both Hanayao and Rin, in a way) since she's too timid to take that first step(and yes, I loved the lolipop scene, too). Dia's broadcast flat-out refusal to allow an idol club seems to have hit her like a kinfe in the belly.

Yoshiko: Her introduction went about as well as I'd ever see chuunibyou going in real life; about the only one who isn't completely embarressed in that scene is Ruby(hell, the teacher just seems to be looking at what's moving when she runs off). The question is, do we have a Dark Flame Master incubating at home?

Hanamaru looks like she's at risk of becoming the girl who says "-zura", though.

On Riko, I have to agree with You that Chika wasn't wearing down her resistance so much as her nerves until that seaside chat(is Chika staring up girls' skirts the new washi washi?). From there, things just kind of got sappy: them running straight to the love song(of course) by translating Chika's love for idols(of course), reminding Riko of her love for the piano(of course). Having them be next door room buddies is a bit too perfect, but the imagery of them reaching across the gap is great; it pretty much sums up her arc in one visual.
DuskyPredator wrote:
I kind of did not process it before, but if Riko did really transfer from Otonokizaka, that must have mean that she was in the single first years class, which also had Maki who is also a talented piano player.
I was idly wondering why she didn't recognize Maki, at least as the girl in the music class, but it's possible she didn't go anywhere near the music room due to her trauma over freezing up at the recital/talent show. Depending on how the class ran activities, she might not have run into her much - and I know how easy it is for people to not register(eg, I managed to learn almost nobody's name when I was responsible for a training class at work).
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

...And thus Aqours was born into this world.

Phew! That was almost a carbon-copy run of μ's first live until the nice surprise at the end... Baka Chika! At last Mari is given some screen time, and boy is she really really really annoying...

...It's Joke!

I do however think that this was the episode that tried to give Aqours it's own identity after a lot of criticism of them being copycats to μ's and that end-of-concert confrontation between Chika and Dia pretty much summed it up.

Dia: It is the efforts of school idols in the past, with the good-will of the people that make you successful. Don't get this wrong.
Chika: Yes we know. But if we just sit and do nothing... but at this moment, right now, we want to shine.

Lastly, I really liked the concert performance of "Daisuki Dattara Daijoubu" and the improved animation that came with it. The song's not bad either...

...No Joke!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:30 am Reply with quote
I actually kind of liked the "It's Joke" thing. I thought that the comedic timing in trying to fool them that she had got the dome was funny.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Then there were five!

They crammed quite a bit into this episode even though it was centered around Ruby/ Hanamaru and even though it follows the same sequence as the original Love Live! series, Sunshine is still doing it's own thing.

Mari "Shiny" Ohara looks to be working in the background, trying to scout the former School Idol Club members - Mari, Kanan and Dia for her own unknown personal reasons. Dia is meant to represent the sour μ's fan who's bitter that they disbanded years ago. I can see that it's going to take some tough persuading (and a Kamina-esk punch from Kanan) for her to see the light.

At last we get to see more of the 'Fallen Angel, Yohane' next week. I'm excited already, after her Stan Lee like cameos throughout the first four episodes.
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
I keep hoping that we'd see members of μ's in person. I wonder how old they are now?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Okay, we kind of found out that it has been at least 5 years since μ's disbanded, it had been kind of unclear on this point. It would make sense that someone could go to that school and not have known about them.

I think what was really strong with the episode in reference to Hanamaru was Rin, and it is kind of unfortunate it takes a bit of knowing the original. Rin also helped her shy friend in joining the idol group, but she herself had insecurities about whether she deserved it as much as the others, thinking she was not pretty enough because of her tomboyish look, the photo was a culmination that she could actually be the centre of attention. It was one of my favourite plots of the series. It is a meaningful sort of story, but maybe making it look like it is straying a bit too much from its stand alone nature.
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:26 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 4

Okay, we kind of found out that it has been at least 5 years since μ's disbanded, it had been kind of unclear on this point. It would make sense that someone could go to that school and not have known about them.

I thought the magazine said Love Live 5th anniversary, and not µ's 5th anniversary. Or did µ's take part in the first Love Live ever? I don't remember...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:39 am Reply with quote
Yuri Fan wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 4

I thought the magazine said Love Live 5th anniversary, and not µ's 5th anniversary. Or did µ's take part in the first Love Live ever? I don't remember...

Oh, okay maybe I was mistaken. Well there was talk about a time period where the sisters were fans, making it look like there was some time frame.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Yuri Fan wrote:
They didn't make it to the original Love Live, but they were in the running. The one they won was the second Love Live.
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Yuri Fan wrote:
They didn't make it to the original Love Live, but they were in the running. The one they won was the second Love Live.

So if we go by that, some time has passed, and all of the girls have already graduated. I keep hoping that they (or at least some of them!) will be guest stars in the event... I miss them so much.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I've borrowed this from the Love Live Reddit. It's pretty much fan speculation of the timeline connecting μ's and Aqours, but worth a look. Will have to wait until later episodes to see if it is accurate or not.

Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Okay, so now even Love Live! is throwing 'cliff-hanger' endings at us... I just hope the e-mail mentioned isn't the closing down of the school. We've already beat that chapter in the franchise and I'd rather not replay it if it can be helped.

Apart from that, the episode was pretty good with the fallen angel being totally adorable. Aika Kobayashi solo ED was also very impressive, as was the soundtrack throughout.

It looks as though Kanan will be making her school comeback next week, with the 'School Re-enrollment form' shown in the preview... about damn time!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Shikiari wrote:
Okay, so now even Love Live! is throwing 'cliff-hanger' endings at us... I just hope the e-mail mentioned isn't the closing down of the school. We've already beat that chapter in the franchise and I'd rather not replay it if it can be helped.

Well this is awkward. On the plus side, it is kind of humorous that Chika is excited about it after hearing the news as she thinks that it is a chance to emulate µ's more. Most of the episode is about them trying to make a PV for the school, of which I seem to remember the PV made in the first series was more for the group, so it is a bit different.

The puppy was cute, and the shameless idea put forward at one point to try and cheat by showing elsewhere.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Well after things seeming to go so smoothly for them, in terms of popularity, they had a big wake up call with a failure and a connected frustration, that is entirely their own. Out of a competition with 30 groups they came 30tjh, with no votes. Seeing Chiaki frustrated over that, kind of made up for all the kind of attitude until now that seemed to be "if we follow Muse, we will win", where that kind of baseless enthusiasm was thrown back at them. But they were also shown that even getting up there and singing was still a success of sorts.

After everything they already did this season, going from zero to one is the first goal, and that is not in terms of place.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

It was an emotion filled episode, where now the third years are on board. I kind of figured out at the beginning of the episode that the reason the other two ended the group was because they wanted Mari to take an opportunity of studying abroad, but the delivery of the scene later was well done.

I like how they had Yohane as their muscle. The song at the end of the episode was well done too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3