• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia Anime Gets 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:45 am Reply with quote
KilluaX3 wrote:

That's your opinion. I think it was perfect. Smile

I think you don't understand what "pacing" means. The series developing slowly compared to the manga is a fact. Anyone that has read the source material knows one of the good thing about the series is it's fast pace and story progression. The anime however slows down everything in comparison and tries to stretch things as much as it can. I mean look at the first 2 episodes. It adapted only 1 chapter which normally takes 5-10 minutes to read.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}

Last edited by Pierrot. on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:48 am Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:

I think you don't understand what "pacing" means. The series developing slowly in compared to the manga is a fact. Anyone that has read the source material knows one of the good thing about the series is it's fast pace and story progression. However the anime in comparison slows everything down and tries to stretch things as much as it can. I mean look at the first 2 episodes. It adapted only 1 chapter which normally takes 5-10 minutes to read.

Exactly. One of the best things about the manga is how smoothly the story flows. The anime did not have that. You know it's bad when you can FEEL the anime padding itself out to fit entire episodes.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:03 am Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
I think you don't understand what "pacing" means. The series developing slowly in compared to the manga is a fact. Anyone that has read the source material knows one of the good thing about the series is it's fast pace and story progression. However the anime in comparison slows everything down and tries to stretch things as much as it can. I mean look at the first 2 episodes. It adapted only 1 chapter which normally takes 5-10 minutes to read.

Slow doesn't equal bad, and ten minutes of reading time doesn't always equal ten minutes of screen time. The 1989 version of Henry V lasts almost two and a half hours, but it doesn't take that long for most high school students to speed-read through the text (I hope that's the one and only time someone compares My Hero Academia to Henry V).

There's a fine line between "this show is taking its time to tell the story properly" and "for the love of God and all that is holy, will you get on with it", and it's going to vary from person to person.
danpmss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:59 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:

Slow doesn't equal bad, and ten minutes of reading time doesn't always equal ten minutes of screen time. The 1989 version of Henry V lasts almost two and a half hours, but it doesn't take that long for most high school students to speed-read through the text (I hope that's the one and only time someone compares My Hero Academia to Henry V).

There's a fine line between "this show is taking its time to tell the story properly" and "for the love of God and all that is holy, will you get on with it", and it's going to vary from person to person.

Exactly. This.

The pacing was pretty much perfect, considering the big ammount of text and information in each chapter. I don't want another ruined adaptation like the absurdly rushed and modified Tokyo Ghoul, thank you very much.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:10 am Reply with quote
pikabot wrote:
I wouldn't say the pacing was terrible, but I'd definitely say that it was weird. The episodes were in themselves finely paced, but it set the series on a trajectory to end without the main character really doing anything, and immediately after the antagonists are introduced. If they hadn't gotten a second season, it would be a really bizarre place to leave the series off.

That's about where I stand on the matter; on the per-episode basis, each one's was good and satisfying. On the season as a whole, though, I'll admit that it feels odd to basically have the whole cour being the introduction phase. I think that the franchise would've benefited being a single, long-running show, rather than the current one-cour-at-a-time format.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
ETX wrote:
Tensai GinAce wrote:
Let's hope the pacing will be a little better this time

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the pacing of Season 1. It covered the first 2 smaller arcs and didn't leave anything out at all in terms of content. It was a really well done adaption.

The pacing in that show is what kills me on it. I have to say it is my #1 complaint. I still like it. But damn, that pacing.

The show is getting across the points it needs to, and then dwells on them. Each time. Is he going to use his power or not? He thinks about it. Some other character thinks about it. Cut back to Deku, he's back to thinking about it going over every point. Cut to a character in authority now pondering the usage of power. Cut back to Deku to ponder all the same things again. Compare this ti every time we got a flashback of Bakugo being a jerk. How many of those did we get to establish he's being mean?

Academia wastes a lot of time retelling things they've already established. It wouldn't be getting on people's nerves if they were doing it once or twice to re-establish a couple things. But they do it for nearly everything.

It isn't just about being slow, but it is retreading material it already retreaded inside of many scenes. This effect will be vastly more noticeable on rewatches. That said I still enjoy it, I understand the weight of adapting a manga to anime. Individual scenes need some lubricant.
Koda89

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
I also must put myself in the camp of the episodes themselves being perfectly paced but the season as a whole being oddly paced. It's a rather weird situation.

But I must also admit that part of that feeling for me is FUNimation's fault, because as part of their marketing push before the anime began, they put so much emphasis on Deku's classmates at U.A., so I was getting kind of antsy for them to show up. I didn't know going in that it would take what, four episodes, give or take one, before they would even show up.

So....yeah actually now that I think about it that's all on FUNi, for how they marketed the show. >_>;
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:24 am Reply with quote
Nice, I was pretty sure I was going to get a second season but it's still cool that it was confirmed even before the first one finished and I really enjoyed this one so I the second season gets adapted soon (probably in Winter or Spring 2017)
Aezreal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
Many episodes' first 3 minutes consisted of reminding the viewers of what happened in the previous ones, and during said episodes the small mentions of previous events in the manga got expanded into flashbacks over and over again. I don't think it's possible to deny that there were some pacing issues.

It's a fine decision to add more detail by showing people prior scenes every once in a while and give a stronger sense of continuity but to me it felt far overdone, together with the reusing of panels with "Deku & co. stare anxiously"/"Iida is running away" or padding out of scenes by making character actions seem slower and more prolonged, when compared with the manga.
It felt like it was paced as though they had caught up to the source material (which obviously isn't true). A lot of the episodes for me were rendered rather boring because of this.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:01 am Reply with quote
I pretty much knew there was going to be a season 2, the only issue in my mind is when and how long.

As for the pacing, it is definitely slow. The thing is, it seems like MHA was paced like a long-running shonen, i.e. slow, with lots of flashbacks and padding, while only actually being a single cour. That might be part of the issue for some people, that it's paced like One Piece, while being more Tokyo Ghoul in length. If MHA was a long running show from the beginning, there probably wouldn't be such a disconnect.

It seems to me like the creators were always planning on having it be long-form, and made it a single cour at first to test the waters in this uncertain anime market where long-running shows don't really get made anymore, with very few exceptions.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:07 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Exactly. This.

The pacing was pretty much perfect, considering the big ammount of text and information in each chapter. I don't want another ruined adaptation like the absurdly rushed and modified Tokyo Ghoul, thank you very much.

I think it is pretty perfect pacing myself.

But I actually think the disconnect is between those who value action over characterization.

I love the relationship between All Might and Deku, in the manga you feel there is a connection but it feels so rushed in that department, but in the anime it is almost tangible. It really feels like time is passing at the correct speed for the relationships in the anime to blossom. But naturally at the cost of action. I actually found myself getting frustrated at the manga and internally telling it to slow down, so it could flesh out its characters more. I love caped crusaders and violence as much as the next superhero geek, but I'm a big one for characterization too.

So yeah. I feel like if you want to get to the action, read the manga. If you want to watch the relationships grow, watch the anime.

(Also I add I've been very disappointed with the translation of the manga/dubbing of the series. They have made very tender moments have less impact. From making All Might point out Deku's crying more to making language less emotional to hinder the bromance. It's weird.)
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
Hell yes Very Happy This was my favorite anime of the season and I can't wait for more. Might read the manga in the mean time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CookieBun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:08 am Reply with quote
I'm also another person who thinks the pacing is perfect on an episode by episode basis but agree that it's a little weird when thought about as a typical 1 cour show. Academia's approach was essentially to assume that they are no different from any long running shonen series, which might have have been a negative prior to this news, but will probably seen a good move in the future.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
As someone who's never read the manga, I have to say the anime's pacing has worked fine for me. My only issue is this long break between seasons that will take at least nine months. I'd have preferred the show to run for 2 consecutive cours, even if that meant pushing the second season of Gundam: IBO to next year.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
There was only one instance in which I've had a problem with the anime's pacing, and that was episode 11, with Iida's running away. When shadow guy obliterated Number 13 and I saw Iida hadn't actually left yet I screamed at the screen. They dragged his hesitation and sense of responsibility way too much. Everything else has been actually fine for me, they're hitting great emotional notes in each episode, and I'm loving that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4