• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reporter: Warner Considers Fast & Furious' Justin Lin to Direct Live-Action Akira

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:32 am Reply with quote
Can't this thing just die already?! How many more director changes will this thing have before Warner Bros. gets the hint that no one wants this to happen?

Oh well, with Justin Lin being the biggest Asian American director ever right now and how hugely successful his Fast & Furious movies are including the upcoming Star Trek Beyond, I really hope that he gets some leeway and let him be given the chance to hire unknown Asian American actors for the two main lead roles because if that happens, it would help make this film stand out.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
Western live-action Akira: the bad idea that just won't die.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Western live-action Akira: the bad idea that just won't die.

It would be my usual inclination to agree with this, but no matter how much of a miscue this film project may be, it can hardly be the worst example of a "bad idea that just won't die" that we have had to countenance recently...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kreion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Now that´s more like it. Burn everything else from the last decade of failures and start for real now.
(WB´s George Miller or Zack Synder would have been cool too.) American Anime may get redeemed yet, so i hope that this crystallizes and that Death Note is indeed on the right track after the hard rerouting of the last half year. Let´s see if he can put Star Trek back on track too after Into Dumbness.
PS: 2 out of 3 of his The Fast & Furious films are "critically acclaimed" too, dear ANN.

Why would an action director put Star Trek, a serious notorious for not having much action in it, back on track?

I think he could do good work in Akira, but if anything he's just going to make Star Trek more like Star Wars, they may as well have never used the name.
ICO44

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
Ugh....we already have Akira with beautiful hand drawn animation, why would I want to see love action filled with crappy CG of it!!?

Hollywood should should just stick with making Marvel or DC movies.
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
ICO44 wrote:
Ugh....we already have Akira with beautiful hand drawn animation, why would I want to see love action filled with crappy CG of it!!?

Well this isn't for you, this is for the masses. A live-action film of Akira would have a larger audience than the animation piece.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
jesusalcala11 wrote:
Well this isn't for you, this is for the masses.

The masses don't want this. They don't know what it is and don't care. I'd even bet that most millennial anime fans don't know what it is.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
@Kreion Less that half of Lin´s directorial efforts are in the action genre and the phenomenal Star Trek 2009 was one too. The 2nd trailer got a great reception and i even liked the first. But what do i know, i only saw all of the the original show / the toon, TNG, DS9 (the best one) + the good films.
The $2 billion grossing director + Simon Pegg are going to run ST into the ground, sure...

@PurpleWarrior13 Nolan is too good for work for hire now and he could have "only" produced, if anything. Nolan last production effort lead to the DCEU, so at least i am happy. MoS is the best Superman film ever and UC BvS turned out to be a pure masterpiece. I would pay good money to live on Earth 3 where a Nolan + Snyder Akira came to life. But Lin is cool too. He would never white wash for one and Akira is a partial action manga / film, which is a win/win with Mr. FF.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Nice Tea wrote:
Justin Lin is a mediocre director at best, why the hell did his name end up associated with Akira?

BECAUSE: Justin Lin, James Wan and Jon Chu have now become the "Unholy trinity" of directors who became famous for turning any movie into an Instant Franchise Entry, for studios who want to market five-year sequel/spinoff-strategies rather than make actual movies, and have put out their shingles for any studio to call on.
(Ask yourself, why would Wan, the director of Saw, Paranormal Activity and the Conjuring, and all their many spinoffs, do an Aquaman movie for Warner, and why would both Lin and Wan each do a Fast & Furious movie for Universal?...Look at Conjuring 2 and Insidious 3 in theaters, and don't strain yourself guessing.)

Lin is already doing Paramount's Star Trek movie, as Paramount is searching for another "house-brand" name after the Turtles and Transformers, a Space Jam sequel for Warner who wants to restart their Looney Tunes franchise, and another Bourne movie for Universal, as Universal wants some more franchises to go with F&F and the Monsters.
And if Warner wants him to finish off That Darn Unwanted Akira Movie....I think we know what Warner has in mind. Anyone wanna put ten bucks down for the betting pool? Rolling Eyes
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
jesusalcala11 wrote:
Well this isn't for you, this is for the masses.

My comment meant that these films aren't being produced to please fans; there aren't enough fans to make that worth the cost. They are produced for the general audience.
mrsatan wrote:
The masses don't want this. They don't know what it is and don't care. I'd even bet that most millennial anime fans don't know what it is.

Which is what marketing is for. Let's take a look at Edge of Tomorrow. Every ad I saw said nothing about being based on the work All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka. The only reason I knew that was because ANN covered it. What I did see was the name Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt, action, explosions, and aliens. If they can get big names on Akira then it should be marketable.

You are correct in saying the masses don't know or care about it, and it will be the marketer's job to make them know and make them care.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_of_Tomorrow#Marketing
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Warner Brothers really needs to just accepted defeat with this movie it's never going to get finished (or even started) and WB has already dumped millions of dollars into this project money that they're never going to get back. It's time they cut there loses and just move on. Rolling Eyes
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:25 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

(WB´s George Miller or Zack Synder would have been cool too.)

Only if you're a big fan of his works like Sucker Punch and Batman vs Superman Dawn Of Justice.........which most people weren't.

mrsatan wrote:

Just because they didn't ask for, they don't know what it is, doesn't mean they couldn't conceivably care about it.

AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Warner Brothers really needs to just accepted defeat with this movie it's never going to get finished (or even started) and WB has already dumped millions of dollars into this project money that they're never going to get back. It's time they cut there loses and just move on. Rolling Eyes

Most people pretty much said the same thing about the idea of a Justice League movie 10-12 years ago....now it's happening though of course they had to sacrifice a lot to pull it off, and it may very well be a divisive work just like the movie that set it up but hey.

Gotten take risks.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
jesusalcala11 wrote:

Which is what marketing is for. Let's take a look at Edge of Tomorrow. Every ad I saw said nothing about being based on the work All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka.

I still get a laugh at people who go into barns and noble look at all you need is kill in the manga section and say it's a knock off of edge of tomorrow while getting their nuts in a twist arguing the movie was better and that the manga is crap
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:28 am Reply with quote
Lots of people are posting as if Akira is the first film to bounce around in Hollywood pergatory for years. It's actually very, very common. In fact, some of the most successful Hollywood releases were ideas and scripts that sat locked away in someone's office for a decade plus. If ANN weren't coveting it so actively, most of the people here wouldn't be aware of all the issues it's had.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:12 am Reply with quote
No point in a live-action Akira, when you got Suicide Squad coming out in a couple months. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3