• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reporter: Warner Considers Fast & Furious' Justin Lin to Direct Live-Action Akira

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curtisd88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:36 am Reply with quote
Hopefully this movie will eventually get cancelled. I hate when Hollywood gets their hands on anime properties only to ruin them in some way, shape, or form. Let the Japanese handle it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:34 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Warner Brothers really needs to just accepted defeat with this movie it's never going to get finished (or even started) and WB has already dumped millions of dollars into this project money that they're never going to get back. It's time they cut there loses and just move on. Rolling Eyes

How could they have spent millions of dollars already if production never really got off the ground? Is that how much you think it cost just to acquire the license?

In any case, it's not up to us fans to dictate what big studios do with their properties, as we've seen over and over again. I just hope that WB clinging to this license isn't what's keeping Japan from producing a long form TV anime, as was the case with Parasyte (in which we got an anime 20 years after the manga because Hollywood had finally given up on it).
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
How could they have spent millions of dollars already if production never really got off the ground? Is that how much you think it cost just to acquire the license?

It wasn't just the license. Many screenplay drafts have already been written, and some discarded production designs and storyboards can be found online.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:

Warner Brothers really needs to just accepted defeat with this movie it's never going to get finished (or even started) and WB has already dumped millions of dollars into this project money that they're never going to get back. It's time they cut there loses and just move on. Rolling Eyes

You're right; it's money they won't get back since they already paid for the rights for it. But it's because it's money they won't get back that they'd keep trying to get something out of it since it's already paid for, and a few $$ millions more paying people to work on it is chump change for them while keeping the possibility of getting something out of it rather than no possibility at all of recouping the investment. In short, what's a few $$ millions to them for a slim possibility of earning $$ millions more, rather than 0% chance of return of investment.

GATSU wrote:

No point in a live-action Akira, when you got Suicide Squad coming out in a couple months. Cool

Suicide Squad was in development purgatory since 2009.

Agent355 wrote:

In any case, it's not up to us fans to dictate what big studios do with their properties, as we've seen over and over again. I just hope that WB clinging to this license isn't what's keeping Japan from producing a long form TV anime, as was the case with Parasyte (in which we got an anime 20 years after the manga because Hollywood had finally given up on it).

Seems Japan doesn't want more of Parasyte though. It's not an otaku series, but without that Hollywood movie, there's not enough interest from the mainstream (despite that 2-part Japanese live-action films).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
curtisd88 wrote:
Hopefully this movie will eventually get cancelled. I hate when Hollywood gets their hands on anime properties only to ruin them in some way, shape, or form. Let the Japanese handle it.

As the criticism of the live action Attack On Titan film has shown there are some things even they can't adapt properly. Plus as mentioned before the plan with this movie is to make a live action adaptation of an existing property that's not just capable of pulling in people unfamiliar with Akira but also those who are, having Japan do it doesn't exactly help get the movie over in America or the rest of the world.

GATSU wrote:
No point in a live-action Akira, when you got Suicide Squad coming out in a couple months. Cool

Suicide Squad is an sci-fi, action, drama that's considered iconic within most circles?

Here I thought it was a movie based off a rather obscure DC comics series from the 1980's that Warner Bros. only decided to commit to after they saw Marvel's success with "Guardians of The Galaxy".
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Can't can him too soon, he'll probably be the only Asian/Asian-American actually involved with the flick.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Agent355 wrote:

I just hope that WB clinging to this license isn't what's keeping Japan from producing a long form TV anime, as was the case with Parasyte (in which we got an anime 20 years after the manga because Hollywood had finally given up on it).

Seems Japan doesn't want more of Parasyte though. It's not an otaku series, but without that Hollywood movie, there's not enough interest from the mainstream (despite that 2-part Japanese live-action films).

While I'd personally love more Parasyte, there really isn't any "more" to it. The manga was completed 2 decades ago, and within the past couple of years it got a complete TV anime adaptation, 2 live action movies, and an officially published manga short story collection done by other artists, because original manga-ka Hitoshi Iwaaki is working on Historie (which I'd love to see published in English, too...) He doesn't seem interested in continuing Parasyte, and there is only so much Kodansha can do to stretch out the story without him.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol: And Akira's been in development hell since the 90's. Smile

Badnews:
Quote:
Suicide Squad is an sci-fi, action, drama that's considered iconic within most circles?

No, but it's pretty much got everything you'd want to see in a *good* Akira movie, so... Well, except for the esper stuff. But Chronicle beat Akira to it on that one, too, so...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

No, but it's pretty much got everything you'd want to see in a *good* Akira movie, so... Well, except for the esper stuff. But Chronicle beat Akira to it on that one, too, so...

I wonder if after the Fantastic Four debacle anyone can see past Josh Trank's flaws to remember that movie Razz
curtisd88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
curtisd88 wrote:

BadNewsBlues wrote:
As the criticism of the live action Attack On Titan film has shown there are some things even they can't adapt properly. Plus as mentioned before the plan with this movie is to make a live action adaptation of an existing property that's not just capable of pulling in people unfamiliar with Akira but also those who are, having Japan do it doesn't exactly help get the movie over in America or the rest of the world.

While what you say is true I have more faith in the Japanese in adapting it than Hollywood. Rurouni Kenshin is an example of a live action adaptation done right by the Japanese and I'm pretty sure there are a few others. Imagine what it would've been like in the hands of Hollywood.

As for Akira being capable of pulling people in unfamiliar with the original film, I do not believe that will happen. Akira made an impact in the U.S. decades ago because it was not only one of the first public showings of anime exposed to the U.S. but shocked and awed people with its grotesque violence and its dystopian world. However the street violence and dystopian themes are all played out in this day and age. At this point the only people that would truly be interested in live-action Akira are old time Akira fans, or anime fans that want to get into Akira.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
curtisd88 wrote:

While what you say is true I have more faith in the Japanese in adapting it than Hollywood. Rurouni Kenshin is an example of a live action adaptation done right by the Japanese and I'm pretty sure there are a few others. Imagine what it would've been like in the hands of Hollywood.

I actually can't since I don't recall their being any attempt to adapt Kenshin for western audiences but it could've been mostly faithful......aside from the prospect of casting non-asians in key roles and Kenshin not sounding like a woman Razz

curtisd88 wrote:

As for Akira being capable of pulling people in unfamiliar with the original film, I do not believe that will happen. Akira made an impact in the U.S. decades ago because it was not only one of the first public showings of anime exposed to the U.S. but shocked and awed people with its grotesque violence and its dystopian world.

That might've also been owed to the success of works like "Blade Runner" which incidentally released around the same time as the original manga......which has more or less been supplanted by the movie.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
curtis:
Quote:
Imagine what it would've been like in the hands of Hollywood.

It's called The Last Samurai. Wink
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:50 am Reply with quote
@BadNewsBlues I borderline hate Sucker Punch (his 1 flop), but the rest of his films are all between a 7/10 - 9,5/10 and DC´s "Titanic" just turned around, as the UC manged to get reviewers who wanted my Super Christ fired back on board. BvS turned out to be the Blade Runner / Kingdom of Heaven of this decade.

@GATSU The Last Samurai was entertaining. Somewhat bumb and inaccurate sure but i would watch it again. The score + cinematography are further a work of art.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:49 am Reply with quote
Though they do it from a business standpoint, I wonder how long until Kodansha and Katsuhiro Otomo step in to ask for the rights to go back to them. I would have done that by now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3