• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Does Fanservice For Girls Get So Much Blowback?

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
For a while though, what bugged me regarding One Piece over the Fishman Island and Punk Hazard stories was that, in the author's comments and little descriptions in the volume releases, Eiichiro Oda couldn't shut up about how sexy his wife was, and the result of sex being on his mind a lot was a huge increase in Jessica Rabbit proportions across the manga. Sanji became flatter as a character, more focused on his perviness, and you had characters like Shirahoshi and Smoker in Tashigi's body who had excuses to throw titillation in where the series didn't have it before. (That is, I'm not bothered that it's there, but I'm bothered that it's there when it didn't used to be there.)

It's less pronounced now though, and it seems to have coincided with Oda talking about other things now.

This is super late, but I just wanted to add that I completely agree with this.

I really enjoyed Thriller Bark, but Absalom and how he molested Nami and Robin made me really uncomfortable, but I powered through. Fishman Island made me grossed out a bit a couple of times (and Shirahoshi is such a mixed ordeal on her own), but I powered through that too because the writing as a whole was still good. Punk Hazard though? I actually dropped it a little bit before the body switching, came back to see that and thought I had permanently dropped OP. (Actually, it was Mingo that made me drop it early in Punk Hazard looking back.)

I only recently went back to that arc after picking up Dressarosa because there's moments I like in it (and some of them mean even more now after the recent chapters; like Sanji's reveals with his family and relationships with them). That Oda is so obsessed with the sexuality lately is frustrating, and I also feel a little uncomfortable about it on a meta level? It was always there, but knowing that Japanese women and feminists have commented on it quite a bit, I wonder if he ramped it up to be bitter at all? Because that idea makes me more annoyed and uncomfortable. But yeah, it often feels like he needs to get laid. :/

It's weird because Oda is a fantastic writer, and I don't mind some of the male and female fanservice, but the female-oriented/focused fanservice is so much more prevalent and intended, it's becoming obnoxious and gross.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:31 am Reply with quote
Personally, I think from later Dressrosa and onwards, that sort of fanservice got toned down to levels present in earlier arcs. All Zou got was "minktimacy," for instance, which is no more suggestive than Vivi's hypnotic dancing when she was in Baroque Works. Well, maybe trading clothes too, but it was given mention in like two panels and created hilarious speculation that Nami was turned into a dog, which personally negated any fanservice from that with amusement that fans would make such bizarre guesses.

And, in turn, I think this happened because Oda is now a father. He's gone from an eccentric reclusive artist, then to a horndog when he got married, and now to a father now that he has a child. (And now the series got an increase of stories about fathers, both good and bad.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 15 of 15