• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shūmatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii Desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii Desu ka? Light Novel Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
Looks like I'm watching this. Can't wait for the trailer.
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Not expecting much, but I'll give a episode to win me over.
+ 光

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Orange Hollow wrote:
+ 光 wrote:
jojothepunisher wrote:
The English translation of the title should be "What are you doing at The End? Are you busy? Can you please save me?"

I definitely agree that the article's English translation has some funky google translate vibe going on. However, according to my pre-primary school textbook knowledge of Japanese, doesn't 'shūmatsu' mean 'week-end'?

Yes, weekend is shūmatsu but it's written in kanji as 週末. Here it's 終末 which is the "end", "finish."

Ah, the kanji, of course. I thought it might be the difference. Still, it would be funny if it was a pun, like if the story, or the climax at least, took place over a week-end (not that anime is particular about which day of the week it is, except Sundays mostly).
GiriOni

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Heard good things about sukasuka, looking forward to this.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
As multiple posters have noticed, the English title has some errors and may not be a direct translation of the Japanese. However, that English title is listed on all the novel covers, so for now ANN has chosen to use that as the official English title of the novels. That is, unless a licensor picks up the novels and/or the anime and changes the English title, then we'll switch over.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:32 am Reply with quote
Man, what's with the names of the light novels this days? It became more of a sentences than a title. Can't we just go back to good old names like A Certain Magical Index, Accel World, Sword Art Online, etc? Who even started this trend in the first place?

On the other hand; if the plot and characters are interesting, then I think I 'd give it a shot.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:40 am Reply with quote
My god these titles are getting more ridiculous by the day. Not just one sentence, but three! I was like: "Wtf the news title is in Japanes- Oh it's the title of a Light Novel."

Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
Man, what's with the names of the light novels this days? It became more of a sentences than a title.

I don't remember where I saw it exactly, might have been in Answerman, but I remember reading about it here or somewhere. Apparently the people who buy these light novels are so impatient that they aren't willing to do any research or read back covers (are those even a thing?) or anything. So what the light novel is about has to be in the title.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2