• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
Great jokes, guys. But seriously - where's the real first episode of Berserk 2016? Someone appears to have switched it out with a first-generation PS2 cinematic.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
^That's what I was thinking. Then I saw this actual still that was posted elsewhere and realized the new Berserk anime was all just a cruel joke by Beavis and Butthead creator Mike Judge.

http://i.imgur.com/JzDiJdb.jpg
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
^ The guy on the left totally has B&B's eyes - not mention a number of other Judge-esque features. Now that Silicon Valley has wrapped for the season, I suppose the man has to keep busy.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Great jokes, guys. But seriously - where's the real first episode of Berserk 2016? Someone appears to have switched it out with a first-generation PS2 cinematic.

You take that back. I've played the PS2 Berserk game, and it's way more cinematic then this mess. I'm not even kidding.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:07 am Reply with quote
^ Apologies. I've wanted to get my hands on that game for a long time. The Dreamcast game actually served as my introduction to the franchise.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
It's really good and dark and gritty. If you can get your hands on it, here's a tip: kill as many monsters as you can the first time you enter a level. After you complete it, the number of monsters becomes limited, but the first time they respawn forever. The catch is that you can't heal as much the first time. Anyway, great game that really captures the dark and hopeless feeling of Berserk. Not like this abomination.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
I would imagine "Rewrite" would have 11 remaining episodes since the premiere episode is dual episode length. If they had 12 remaining episodes, then the overall count would seem like 15 episodes.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Aw yeah, the return of Food Wars aka The anime that taught me how to cook. Though my cooking has yet to make someone orgasm at least it's stopped making people sick.
Marzan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Could someone explain to stupid, uninformed, newbie me, why in the country where they make some of the nicest looking 2-D animation, they use crappy CGI to animate what is one of the detailed and image rich manga of all time?

Is it budget? Are they saving money? I cannot imagine Miura looking at this and thinking "Hmm, this looks good"
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Could someone explain to stupid, uninformed, newbie me, why in the country where they make some of the nicest looking 2-D animation, they use crappy CGI to animate what is one of the detailed and image rich manga of all time?

Is it budget? Are they saving money? I cannot imagine Miura looking at this and thinking "Hmm, this looks good"

We've discussed this when this anime was announced, and in my opinion it (mostly) boils down: if you want to make Berserk well, you must be ready to take a high risk and might lose a lot of money, plus you also need a very well-planed work schedule. For example, God Eater was incredibly good looking most of the time, except for the two or three first episodes, yet ufotable couldn't keep the schedule up for three months and ended up postponing airing at least three episodes, and they had to wait a WHOLE season to be able to air the last arc.

A similar thing happened with Blood Blockade Battlefront, we waited almost a year for the last episode because they didn't manage to get it done by time. Granted, it was 40 minutes episode, it was amazing and the eight volume sold like hot cakes, but it was indeed a very big risk to take.

Reversely, Hunter x Hunter 2011 managed to stay an incredibly consistent show and from episode 25 onwards it's an extremely faithful adaptation that does more than justice to the manga... They kept at it for three years non-stop (they only didn't air an episode one day for reasons we don't know yet), and it sure as hell didn't sell as many BDs and DVDs (MADHOUSE hasn't ever been lucky with those anyway), although it did help manga sales
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
So, as i see it, it's like this:

Manga: Souma, Story and Beautiful Art

Anime: Food and Foodgasms

Did i get this right? Neutral
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:

You take that back. I've played the PS2 Berserk game, and it's way more cinematic then this mess. I'm not even kidding.

To my mind at least, this is literally true.

(For the record, I have little problem with Ajin's CGI, and the Berserk films didn't bother me to the same extent.)

Last edited by Sven Viking on Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:26 pm; edited 6 times in total
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
My Love Monster: 2,5 / 5. Wahhhh the reviews are so negative, and I actually think I agree more with Nick's point of view, the satire one Anime hyper Although until the twist is revealed it's easy to confuse it as just a straight story with some very bad lines, and I didn't find it that funny later (though I still recognized it as satire so I wasn't that creeped out). But yeah, I can understand Rebecca's point, and the ocassional seriousness of it makes me fear it will be played straight which would ruin it. But even if it doesn't and it's kept as silly satire the episode didn't work as much with me so I don't think I'll follow it, but I hope that's the direction they go for.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Food Wars returns! And it's...exactly the same Food Wars I've been following, heh. I'm still not overly fond of any of the characters, but the show itself is so silly and over the top that I'm entertained anyways, so I have yet to drop it. May as well keep this train rolling Smile
3/5

Rewrite: I'm finding the main guy to be kind of really obnoxious, but the backgrounds, animation, music, and designs are all super pretty (though it's a little weird that the characters are so bright against such a dark background). I'm intrigued so far, and I'll probably watch the second episode, but I hope the main guy gets a bit less annoying.
(2/5)
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Rewrite: I'm a little conflicted. The animation annoys me on this one. The back story seems like it might be interesting but the type of show is one I don't usually enjoy. I'll give it couple episodes to see which parts prevail but right now it's a 2.5.

B Project : I'll watch this sort of idol-type show if there's absolutely any reason to. I honestly didn't expect there to be but something about the tone of it encouraged me. It seemed slightly more realistic than others of its type (though that's not saying much). 3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 40