• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Dub, Release Anime on BD/DVD

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
GG Crunchyroll. You just won the entire Anime Expo this year with this announcement.

I'm also really happy to see Brotherhood returning so that It can be streamed. I bet FUNimation were distraught about their licensing expiring, you can only imagine how they are feeling with this news that Crunchyroll will begin streaming it.

Last edited by Swiftyy on Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Aura Ichadora

Wow! This can turn out to be an interesting move... I'm curious for Free! if CR will get the same dub cast Funi used for Free! Eternal Summer. That would make the most logical sense, but who knows... Either way, definitely curious to see where this will go!

It would be cool if CR takes this initiative to release Shugo Chara! on DVD/Blu-Ray and maybe with a dub. I think they have the rights to that series, if I'm recalling something I had read before? Either way, I'd love to own that series in a physical format.

I'd also like the second half of Glass Mask, which CR has the streaming rights for last I knew, but getting a DVD collection of it would probably be too much to ask, since Sentai hasn't done so yet...

Last edited by Aura Ichadora on Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Themaster20000

Fantastic news!!! Next logically step would be for them to get on the production committee for shows.
firedragon54738

Well that is sweet and betting that it will be cheeper then AoA and Pony
Kb24lol

DuchessBianca wrote:
In all my years of being an anime fan I have never cared about crunchy in the slightest. I don't stream and have no real interest in subs. I'm a physical bluray/dvd collector and don't watch anything until I buy it. When it was announced ealier that crunchy was getting exclusive partnerships to anime and taking home video rights I wasnt happy because crunchy had shown no real intent on releasing them on video nor dubbing stuff but wirh this announcement I've never been happier to admit that I'm beyond excited and happy. I'll buy each and every one of those blurays when they release and I'm very glad crunchy is investing in dubs and most importantly the home video market. I just hope this doesn't negatively impact sentai too badly as this can't be a possite for them and I love sentai =/

Youre like me lol, And yup when they release kabaneri (heard its basically like attack on titan) Im gonna get it on blue ray, and then watch the rest of the titles on crunchyrolls streaming site, cant waittt lol. Dubs for all those shows, thats unbelievable.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Seems like the competition is getting savage this year. I'm at least curious to see how their releases come out. If this does work out for them -and they got some big titles so there's a good chance it will- I hope they'll look into expanding to other regions eventually. We haven't had a real anime publisher down here for as long as I can remember ('cept for whoever does everything related to Ghibli, Saint Seiya and Dragon Ball) it'd be interesting to have a legit way to own physical anime without having to suffer from ever-growing dollar rates.

I am curious as to why they got Big Order, doesn't seem like the kind of show anyone will want to own.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
@Aura Ichadora

Crunchy has already dubbed free! S1 they did it awhile ago it's just been streaming only. They used the same cast as Funi just without the "dude speak" that some people didn't like in funi's S2 dub.
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
MisterLuck wrote:
@Blankslate I bet Funimation is pissed too and I wonder what CR did to pull the rug out from under Funi with Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood being on their service now.

I think Crunchy just burned a boatload of bridges with this move period. I honestly find it too funny, considering what they started out as.

What? Crunchyroll didn't do anything to Funimation in regard to the FMA:B rights. Funimations rights were expiring and AoA wanted them back, along with a lot of their other shows they shopped around in the last decade. I'm pretty sure FMA:B is also still going to be on Netflix, maybe even with the last part that was previously missing. I'm sure they'd be on Hulu too if they weren't hellbent on getting rid of anime.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
>translated by the same folks that call Ishikui from Ushio and Tora "Rock Eater" even when translations from the OVA got it right
>also self censors swear words when Japanese broadcasts did not (IE Witchcraft Works)

I do not have much confidence, I'd have no confidence except they're licensing Ultraman stuff.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I'll reserve judgement until the sets are actually dated and priced.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:

What? Crunchyroll didn't do anything to Funimation in regard to the FMA:B rights. Funimations rights were expiring and AoA wanted them back, along with a lot of their other shows they shopped around in the last decade. I'm pretty sure FMA:B is also still going to be on Netflix, maybe even with the last part that was previously missing. I'm sure they'd be on Hulu too if they weren't hellbent on getting rid of anime.

Misquote somebody or was that actually directed at me?
Not specifically referring to Funimation nor did I mention FMA in my post.

I'm referring to what this means going forward. If Crunchy is serious about this, why would Funimation, Sentai or anyone else who does DVDs/Blurays themselves give them any of their new titles going? Smart thing would be not to do so. It'd be essentially giving a competitor your catalog.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Thank God I never bought the Discotek sub only release of Free! season one only because I was hoping Funimation would get the rights but damn Crunchyroll; my birthday came twice this year!! Please, oh please I will pay $100 if this hybrid release finally has the FrFr! Shorts and if this means Crunchyroll could get the High Speed film (not that it matters since I'm gonna import it anyway).

Bold move to licence Gintama since Sentai Filmworks gave up after dubbing the first movie. I hope to hear more news about its future release since it's one of my all time favorite shows.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
The more I think of it this is also good for the R1 industry as a whole for non obvious reasons. This year more then ever have shown that crunchy, sentai and funi are all trying to 1up each other and all competition does is make the other companies step of their game or risk losing those customers to their rivals. So all this might lead to beside the obvious is all the things people complain about certain companies doing might just push them to improve.

I know they haven't confirmed but I wonder if nisa knew about this and it's why they haven't bothered with anime, there's no real way for nisa to compete now which is sad as I loved nisa's releases.

@keichitsu0305 I heard Canada is dubbing gintama so I wonder if crunchy will just sub license the ocean dub for its release or I'd crunchy actually has a hand in it.

Last edited by DuchessBianca on Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Too bad I don't give a crap Why ? no Ushio and Tora Dub on that list
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
3 outright awful shows, 3 decent shows, a great show (Gintama), a show that is getting critically destroyed based on episode 1 (Berserk 2016). Great start CR lol.

On a serious note, I don't see this ending up as a good thing. They have some of the worst translations (Far too many liberties taken and other just outright wrong translations). DVD needs to die, wish they would've just skipped that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12