• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Dub, Release Anime on BD/DVD

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naniwa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Wow! This can turn out to be an interesting move... I'm curious for Free! if CR will get the same dub cast Funi used for Free! Eternal Summer. That would make the most logical sense, but who knows... Either way, definitely curious to see where this will go!

I am most interested in seeing if they will give it a similar edition as funi did for S2. I mean just the fact of it being on bluray it's enough to make me happy, but a limited/collector's edition to somehow match Eternal Summer would be awesome.

Now we know though why they always refused to let funi release S1, and why this didn't work. I'm sure they have been planning this for a long time.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Delighted to hear such news! More dubs + physical the better. But am concerned if this effects the other companies too much. Can't afford to be eating each other here.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
Wingbeats wrote:
They grabbed the disk rights to Fullmetal Alchemist too, it looks like!

Pretty sure they just picked up the streaming rights, not the bd/dvd rights?

Oops, in my excitement I misread, haha. Still, streaming is great Very Happy
Naniwa

keichitsu0305 wrote:
Thank God I never bought the Discotek sub only release of Free! season one only because I was hoping Funimation would get the rights but damn Crunchyroll; my birthday came twice this year!! Please, oh please I will pay $100 if this hybrid release finally has the FrFr! Shorts and if this means Crunchyroll could get the High Speed film (not that it matters since I'm gonna import it anyway).

A lot of people has been waiting for this, and I'm sure that if they do it properly they will get lots of money from it. I would also pay that or even more if they make a proper collector's edition, and I'm certain many others would do the same.

Last edited by Naniwa on Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuchessBianca

dark13 wrote:
Too bad I don't give a crap Why ? no Ushio and Tora Dub on that list

Sentai has the rights to that show and will most likely be dubbed by them when it's time to be released on home video.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
So when will these dubbed episodes be streamed? As they're ready or are we going to have to wait for the DVDs/BDs to be released first?

Does it feel to anyone else like that bubble is starting to get awfully big again?

I checked out the trailer for that VRV service they pitched. It seems interesting, but I can't tell if it'll be like streaming television or video on demand style. Some of the channels they showed like Geek & Sundry primarily do live broadcasts on Twitch, would this also be live on VRV or would they just air the recordings?

So many questions and so little to go on at this point.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cosmic Luffy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
so the question is is it gonna be dubbed in Texas or LA. i'd be surprised if it's dubbed in Canada considering they never dubbed anything in years.
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:17 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
dark13 wrote:
Too bad I don't give a crap Why ? no Ushio and Tora Dub on that list

Sentai has the rights to that show and will most likely be dubbed by them when it's time to be released on home video.
I hope they have the dub soon, Its a really good show and even had a dub back in the 90s
macattack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Delighted to hear such news! More dubs + physical the better. But am concerned if this effects the other companies too much. Can't afford to be eating each other here.

This pretty much devoured Media Blasters and Rightstuf's licensing division from the get-go. They got finished off with this one.

Discotek has a niche carved out as the licensor of older stuff for nostalgics and collectors. They'll be fine.

Viz will be fine too, they're primarily a manga publisher and they'll just cherry-pick what they really want as always.

Aniplex/Pony Canyon will continue playing keep away as always. They'll just be playing keep away from Crunchyroll now too. Aniplex seems to still want to stream on CR for the time being, however.

Sentai's the one taking the low blow from this. 75% of Sentai's catalog if not more started out as a Crunchyroll stream. Now most if not all of that is going to be locked up and Sentai's streaming game (The Anime Network) isn't up to the level of CR's or FUNi's. They're going to hurt from this, and the ramifications likely won't be known for another year or two.

Crunchyroll basically just made themselves the number two physical media licensor with this move. FUNimation will have their hands full dealing with CR from now on, now that CR is their competitor in every facet of the anime industry and not just streaming.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Cosmic Luffy wrote:
so the question is is it gonna be dubbed in Texas or LA. i'd be surprised if it's dubbed in Canada considering they never dubbed anything in years.

Hi there!

Although it wouldn't surprise me if it was Canadian dub (as our dollar's pretty awful right now) and someone's pushing for a TV run as it showed up in the CRTC's database, at least for Gintama.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
DuchessBianca wrote:

I hope they have the dub soon, Its a really good show and even had a dub back in the 90s

It is one of their most popular titles so I wouldn't worry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animelvr2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
OMG!!!! Very Happy I just subscribed to Crunchyroll yesterday (the first time I subscribed to a anime streaming site ever) and now THIS!!! The timing couldn't be better.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll doing big things.

Blankslate wrote:
I bet Sentai Filmworks is pissed.

Sentai definitely noticed CR now.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, Crunchyroll streams a lot of anime that I do enjoy immensely. Unfortunately I can't see much of anything I've enjoyed that hasn't been released already getting a second chance with this announcement. Do I honestly think Baby Steps, Yama no Susume, GJ-bu, White Album 2, Shugo Chara, or Saki have any chance of getting released here? Not at all. Sentai picked up anything from their catalogue that they could that they remotely thought could sale much of anything here. So this doesn't really change anything for me other than maybe having BDs with a Crunchyroll logo instead of a Sentai logo.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
So how did CR steal Gintama away from Sentai? Or did Sentai just have the one movie?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12