• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Morose Mononokean (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:18 am Reply with quote

After the Crow's showboating and abuse of authority last week, it looks like the Mononokean employees need to find a counter-attack. They have it this week, but it appears to be more hit than miss as the unintended consequence of the Executive's intimidation manifests itself.

With the revelation that Ashiya has the potential to use the same powers Haruitsuki has, a potential way of allowing Ashiya to regain his entry rights into the Kakuriyo has manifested itself. It is unlikely that Ashiya will gain sufficient mastery over his influence to compel the Executive AND Justice to rescind their commands, but there might be another way to convince the Executive to back off.

Yahiko's playful prank may have backfired spectacularly on him this episode, but the knowledge that Ashiya has the (unconscious) ability to possibly kill him might bring about a change in attitude from him. He has never obeyed anyone other than Itsuki to date, but things might change if Ashiya continues to develop his two newly acquired talents.

Next week's trailer moves the scene forward to the summer vacation, but this new arc pitting the Mononokean vs. the Executive is the best yet and I'm eager to see how it pans out.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:30 am Reply with quote

An opening scene featuring Abeno thumping Ashiya with a pillow is deceptive, especially as this comedic moment masks what is serious business in this episode.

Ashiya is certainly talented enough to get a decent Youkai sensory ability in three days of training. It's not perfect like Abeno's, but if Yahiko did another of his graveyard hide and seek stunts Ashiya could probably find the target 60% of the time.

The real meat of the episode is the Legislator's visit, his gamble and its aftermath. I get the feeling viewers have not seen the last of the Executive and the Justice; despite Abeno's proclamation there's going to be a reason that will force Ashiya to visit the Kakuriyo once more. The enjoyment comes from what that reason will be hopefully further down the adaptation. Likewise, I'm curious what Abeno is thinking when he made his declaration, it's clear he's got some reservations regarding the offer and is being cautious.

Come to think of it, I don't think viewers have ever seen the Legislator take on full beast form. Viewers know what animal he will become because of his sister, but the exact appearance remains a mystery.

The next story arc blends in shortly afterwards, but it's still being set up for now as Keshi has a problem which the Mononokean are not usually commissioned to handle. The denouement is next week and the trailer shows it should be entertainment.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:51 am Reply with quote

Two miniature, self-contained story arcs resolved this week. With a bit of work and some help from Zenko's father, Keshi gets her wish to dance at the festival and the Mononokean chalk up another successfully completed commission. Similarly, the Youkai with the sea shell home makes it back with all possessions intact thanks to Ashiya's intervention. Ashiya is right in thinking Abeno is holding back commissions involving the Executive, whose shadow over this series looms as large as ever.

If the series is all about pitting the Executive against the Mononokean, I can't for now see how the stand off is going to be resolved. The former is determined to get rid of Ashiya's status as an Employee but cannot break the Laws in doing so. Brute force from the Mononokean side isn't going to be an option, so the resolution (if it comes) should be interesting.

Based on next week's trailer, there's an interesting story arc coming up by Ashiya's admission.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:50 am Reply with quote

This season is already more interesting than the last because the story arcs introduce something new and inveigle viewers deeper into the franchise lore and its characters. Ashiya Hanae's family is a lot bigger than was introduced in season 1 with this episode's revelations.

Besides the physical similarity between Abeno and the senior Ashiya, they both presumably share the same gift of vision which the younger Ashiya sibling has inherited. Unsurprisingly Ashiya Hanae would love to learn more about his mysterious father, but he'll need to get back to his house before his older sister starts to panic.

There's the cultural festival to deal with next week, but the trailer indicates Abeno might not have been the only one to know about the senior Ashiya. If he was included in the Mononokean archives, he must have quite the story to up sticks and disappear from his family with young children.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:21 am Reply with quote

This season has adopted this format below: throw in a side-story which occupies most of the air time while keeping the major story arc recently introduced in the spotlight through clever selection of scenes.

The school festival is just an excuse to see Yahiko go wild at the expense of the unwitting students, but the show never forgets to remind viewers about Ashiya Hanae's father introduced last episode. If Abeno Haruitsuki is correct, then it's likely the "father" Hanae met when he was a toddler is an imposter. There's something ominous about Hanae's emphasis on his father being less like Santa Claus and more like the messenger of death.

From what side story to another, the tail end of the episode introduces another guest Youkai and a problem the Mononokean crew have to resolve. Besides the shocking image of the furball being partially shorn of his characteristic coat, the other notable event towards the end is the elusive previous Master, Aoi. Viewers know she's a youkai who hired Itsuki as an employee when he was young, but her identity as a talking cat wasn't disclosed until now. This is the same Aoi who most of the Hidden World believes was murdered by Haruitsuki so that he could seize her position.

If the trailer is any indication, the adaptation will again focus on the side story for most of next week. Hopefully there'll be more hints and references to the Ashiya family as well.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:36 am Reply with quote

The animators have the formula down to a fine art now; most of the episode is spent on resolving this week's Mononokean commission, but at the same time the main story arc looms large over the proceedings. Komon throws out the tidbit as a casual afterthought, but it is VERY significant the senior Ashiya was most likely an employee before he disappeared. To top it off, he was also considered a real menace to the Kakuriyo if that graphic and Komon's description are to be believed. If that really was the senior Ashiya, combined with his previous cameo appearances in black and giving off the impression of death incarnate, it does mitigate the Executive's undisguised hostility towards the younger Ashiya as I doubt he would forget the identity and name of a human not only capable of seeing Youkai but able to deliver harm to them.

Despite the light and cheery feel of this week's episode as the five siblings go their disparate ways, I wonder if the underlying message of companionship trumping solitude is going to be relevant later on. I honestly didn't expect the twist at the end, but if the Mononokean's translation isn't off the mark then the splitting up of the siblings isn't as bad as Aoi thought it would turn out to be. Why else would she warn Komon about the pitfalls of spoiling the siblings to the extent they would not wish to return to their rightful habitat in the Kakuriyo?

Although all five were undoubtedly grateful to Komon as their benefactor, Komon's naming sense for them is undoubtedly the lazy way out. He's named them "Chun + a cardinal number" to differentiate between them and then relies on their chest markings to ensure he doesn't call the wrong name by mistake.

No announcement of the adaptation continuing on to the next quarter, so what little air time remains will have to resolve the underlying mystery of the senior Ashiya. I'm hoping it's not rushed.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:22 am Reply with quote

Just as Haruitsuki is wondering what to do about the records secured inside the prison, a fortuitous stroke of luck as Koura (long time no see) has an appointment with said prison and wants Itsuki to tag along with her. Taking advantage of the opportunity, Itsuki learns more than he bargained for and understands why the Mononokean may have lied to the pair a few episodes back.

I'm wondering about Koura's role in all of this. No hard evidence to suggest she got wind of the Legislator's suggestion about hidden records, but her prescription for heart medication suggests she thinks Itsuki is hiding something about his visit. No way of finding out for the time being.

So the younger Ashiya inherited his father's ability to subjugate Youkai using sheer force of will and talent, but the elder Ashiya had more control and a less benevolent personality. The picture grows clearer with this episode, so if next week is the finale for this season I'm hoping the full picture is revealed. The trailer certainly whets the appetite with a few interesting shots. It appears Haruitsuki pursued the case because of the similarities in physical appearance and supernatural talent, but the spider demon thinks Haruitsuki is Sakae, which should lead to an interesting confrontation next episode.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:09 am Reply with quote

Nothing like a final episode that answers just about all of the questions left hanging through the course of the adaptation, whilst leaving one or two tantalising cliffhangers for viewers to ponder over while the wait for the next adaptation begins.

How much of Ashiya Junior's ability is down to the presence of his father is very much up for debate. Bloodline or an unconscious takeover of the latent personality doing the job on Yahiko midway through the adaptation? Much of the elder Ashiya's personality and identity is revealed in this episode, but enough remains a mystery for viewers to look forward to more adaptations in the future. More info about the previous master Aoi wouldn't go amiss either.

The series started with the Executive looming as a large threat over the Mononokean and its affiliates, but the last few episodes have turned things on their head and revealed a potentially greater threat much closer to home. If there is ever a third season, I'm hoping they at least ease new viewers into the big picture otherwise there's going to be a lot which will be lost from the get go.

I liked the first season, but this adaptation has a shadowy edge that makes it much more entertaining and more riveting than its predecessor. Only thing to wish for is for a shorter wait between adaptations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4