• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Santaman! [2006-12-15]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:57 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

As for the One Piece thing I hope it can do something. become a hit in Britian or something and then make its way back over here. They're a lot futher in the manga over there right?

Sorry, but it it doesn't fly in America it probably isn't going to come back here. The UK's distributor is most likely behind or at the same volume VIZ Media has produced, since they are contracted to use VIZ's translations.

Which is a real pity.

GATSU wrote:

Actually, it failed, because it wasn't given a chance. 4Kids just tried to turn the series into another marketing gimmick instead of selling the show on its own merits.

Sigh, I never expected GATSU of all folks to hold this opinion. Well, time to dig up my old arguments.

*ahem*, the 4Kids Dub was at an "acceptable" level during the Drum Arc, probably equivalent to what VIZ Media would have edited OP to; no puns, no lame dialogue, just serious drama. Yes, there was the issue of the non-stop music track and Sanji's voice acting, but that's all moot since people who have been watching the dub for so long tend to ignore it.

I didn't see One Piece explode in popularity following that arc. Drum has been cited as "the most emotional" of all OP arcs, and 4Kids actually preserved that, including precedent-setting references to death, dying, and exploding.

To say that "4Kids never gave it a chance" is a bit uneducated, since they actually did experiment with a relatively "normal" style of dubbing and it had no effect on the American market. Given how frequently Drum was rebroadcast, it's obvious that people simply didn't cue into the show.

OP fans are just going to have to accept that their show will gain little more than cult-status in America; it won't enter pop-culture, nor will it gain widespread popularity. Like Haruhi, it's just a weird show that some Americans can enjoy but has no real market feasibility; it's a bird that only flies in Japan.

GATSU wrote:

It happened with DiC[k] and Sailor Moon-for a few months-so it's not impossible.

Toei pulled the rights to SM and now it's unavailable in the West; given that incident, and noting SM's status in Japan, the same will probably happen to OP.

AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
1. One Piece. The only reason why it failed here was because of the horrendous editing. 4Kids shot themselves in the foot a million times over!

Why do people keep saying that? I used to be a dub-basher when I was just watching the dub and reading the manga, but when I actually saw the original I realized the show in its Japanese form would *never* click with American audiences. It's due to the cultural sterotypes we imprint on anime; something like OP creates a conceptual imbalance in our minds since we expect characters who look as ridiculous as Oda's characters do to be jumping around, screaming or smashing stuff.

Instead they talk about politics, relationships, tactics or engage in "slice-of-life" stuff like eating food or flirting. That kind of show isn't what America would agree with readily; I've shown Japanese OP episodes to people and they've hated the show.

Eiichiro Oda writes OP with children in mind; in America, it turns out college kids like OP the most, while children tend to revile the title. Now, for something as big as OP is in Japan, if it doesn't carry the child market it isn't worth bringing over to America; what's the point in licensing Pokemon if it only does as well as Chobits? That's unsound, and no one will be willing to go for it.

I mean, look at the popularity of Bobobo and check how VIZ Media won't even touch additional volumes of the show; they recognize that Bobobo can't appeal to children, while its college-oriented audience is too small to make it successful relative to its popularity. So, it stays in Japan.

OP fans are just bitter and rabid; I know, I speak with them every day. There's also an atmosphere of denial as well; people are blind to the faults of their own favourite show and refuse to acknowledge that people simply don't like their title.

Given that many of these individuals are college kids that like a child's manga, all I can say is, "GROW UP".
Nebs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think you're underestimating how popular One Piece is, or rather, could be. 4Kids has had a habit lately of licensing anime that really has no business being on network television at all, butchering it to hell, and leaving it for dead when no one watches. It happened to Shaman King, and it happened to One Piece. So why did it take so much longer to get to this point with One Piece? Maybe it's because Joe Everyviewer could see the great show that was hidden under the 4Kids layer of crap. Maybe fans of the Viz manga tuned in to see their favorite property on television. Whatever the reason, the fact that it lasted over 50 episodes shows how powerful a property One Piece is.

4Kids actually aired all of the Shaman King episodes, all 64 of them. Which means it too lasted for more than 50 episodes. But anyway, I recall hearing last year that One Piece was Toonami's 3rd highest rated show, leaving it behind only Naruto & Zatch Bell. With that in mind, I wonder why it still failed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:11 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:

Life's just full of surprises, eh? Laughing

Look at else has been turned into anime: Tom Sawyer; Swiss Family Robinson; Peter Pan. I think I'll stick with the original novels.

If you want the full list of anime from the masterpiece theater group they are right here

Yeah a good book can beat basically any medium when ya think about it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:49 am Reply with quote
Malintex:
Quote:
I didn't see One Piece explode in popularity following that arc. Drum has been cited as "the most emotional" of all OP arcs, and 4Kids actually preserved that, including precedent-setting references to death, dying, and exploding.

It probably didn't take off, because its target audience was turned off by 4Kids' original dub of the show.

Quote:

To say that "4Kids never gave it a chance" is a bit uneducated, since they actually did experiment with a relatively "normal" style of dubbing and it had no effect on the American market. Given how frequently Drum was rebroadcast, it's obvious that people simply didn't cue into the show.

I'm guessing it was a case of too little, too late by then.

Quote:
Toei pulled the rights to SM and now it's unavailable in the West; given that incident, and noting SM's status in Japan, the same will probably happen to OP.

We'll see.

Quote:
I used to be a dub-basher when I was just watching the dub and reading the manga, but when I actually saw the original I realized the show in its Japanese form would *never* click with American audiences.

*cough* Naruto *cough*

Quote:
It's due to the cultural sterotypes we imprint on anime; something like OP creates a conceptual imbalance in our minds since we expect characters who look as ridiculous as Oda's characters do to be jumping around, screaming or smashing stuff. Instead they talk about politics, relationships, tactics or engage in "slice-of-life" stuff like eating food or flirting.

So in other words, filler? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
That kind of show isn't what America would agree with readily; I've shown Japanese OP episodes to people and they've hated the show.

Perhaps the subs they were reading were a little too literal, and came off flat, as a result?

Quote:
Now, for something as big as OP is in Japan, if it doesn't carry the child market it isn't worth bringing over to America; what's the point in licensing Pokemon if it only does as well as Chobits?

Chobits did pretty damn well for itself before its 15 minutes ended. I think a better analogy would be Ultimate Muscle.

Quote:
I mean, look at the popularity of Bobobo and check how VIZ Media won't even touch additional volumes of the show; they recognize that Bobobo can't appeal to children, while its college-oriented audience is too small to make it successful relative to its popularity. So, it stays in Japan.

I think they're waiting to assess sales for the dvds, before they decide whether to continue the manga. And I see more Bobobo fan art in Jump than OP.

Quote:
OP fans are just bitter and rabid;

I'm not actually a fan, but I still feel 4Kids blew it.

Nebs: I'm guessing it failed, because it cost way too much to make its money back in advertising revenue.
Vikio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:52 am Reply with quote
The rant was perfect. I'm glad there's still people on the internet who can think and form their thoughts clearly. I shake the writer's virtual hand with respect.
And the news about an actual Les Miserables anime with a moe Cosette was...hilarious! Very Happy I honestly tried to finish that book but Monseiur Hugo can be a bit of a ranter himself.

Oh, and I'd like to see what other people would recommend for the shallow sister, since I haven't seen "Fist of the North Star"...
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:07 am Reply with quote
Interesting column, as usual.

And the rant was good for once. Anime smile
candeh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:09 am Reply with quote
Your illustrations for the "gifts for people you hate" are priceless.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:12 am Reply with quote
you haven't seen Hokuto no ken?

let me put it this way, my girly girlfriend (y'know the one that likes pink color, anything pop etc) broke up with me just for showing her a clip of the movie of the first of the north star (The movie) they hate that like the plague.

Also, for the one that made the list, you forgot two titles: Ie naki ko (the first series, the remake is god-awful) and FANTASTIC CHILDREN that also is part of the world masterpiece teather
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That said, just you wait; in 2007 we're gonna get Ken Akamatsu's Les Miserables, where Jean Valjean is a hapless ronin virgin college kid and Cossette is his 12-year old panty-flashing jailbait half-sister from the future.
Don't forget, she's also the reincarnation of some four-footed forest fauna, and thus not related to him by blood Wink Wink But either way, since it's Ken Akamatsu, I'd definitely watch it Exclamation Retreads of classic literature may be getting old, but no more so than anime based on typical shounen fighting manga or typical shoujo romance/angst manga. I on the other hand still haven't gotten tired of visual-novel-based anime, for some odd reason.
Quote:
Seriously. 90 percent of all comments made on unmoderated forums or forums moderated by idiots are designed specifically to piss people off or get some kind of reaction.
I agree, especially since I spent roughly 6 years at bolt.com, which is purportedly the largest unmoderated forum system of all the Internets. (Thus the need for a PM or two from Nagisa awhile back to eliminate the ingained backseat moderating instincts I'd built up as a regular poster over there.)

Great answer to the flake, except that step 1 is a formidable obstacle to the average anime fan Laughing I wonder if I can find Wedding Peach DVDs that way?
Quote:
The best you can say about [One Piece] is that it underperformed...
And "underperformed," of course, is industry jargon for "sucked big time."
The Rant wrote:
Last week Chris Li asked us to “write letters to our congressman about the trash on shelves.”
This rant fails, because the writer failed to notice that Chris Li did not actually ask us to write such letters; he was merely imitating the style of people who do demand such letter-writing campaigns. The rest of the rant sounded like things I've heard numerous times before in college class discussions about all kinds of issues.
Out of context, Santaman wrote:
But still; screw Ashley, right?
Santaman you sick ****, she's my sister isn't she? Anime/hentai haven't corrupted me that much...
Vikio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:37 am Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
you haven't seen Hokuto no ken?

let me put it this way, my girly girlfriend (y'know the one that likes pink color, anything pop etc) broke up with me just for showing her a clip of the movie of the first of the north star (The movie) they hate that like the plague.

*snort* Hahaha!!
I mean really? Aw, I'm sorry your gf broke up with you, you're too good for her anyway. Rolling Eyes
Now I'm thinking I gotta see what the fuss is about, and see if it triggers the same gag reflex in me...I'm a girl btw, but definitely not sqeamish.
tkwelge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:45 am Reply with quote
I guess that I'm one of the few people who didn't like the rant. It's not that I disagree with anything written in it, it's just that we aren't visiting any new ideas. Also, I kinda think that some censhorship is necessary on television. Not because I want television to raise my kids or protect them, but because I don't want television to turn to crap. Maybe I'm just getting old. Also, there are plenty of pro-war people in Japan, they are just against war that is perpetrated by somebody else's country. Anyway, remember, the absence of war is not necessarily peace. War has killed millions of people in the last century, but peace has killed billions.

Also, I noticed that every now and then, somebody will type something aimed at christians. Amazingly, I don't ever see any christians on this forum harrassing anybody (well, maybe some people are christians, but I've never seen anybody evangelizing on these forums), but every now and then, I'll just see some angry loser who hates his parents or some kids at school say, "Yeah, man, we should do this or that, because it will really blow some religious deush's mind! Yeah!" What's the point of that?
WesW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:47 am Reply with quote
I just finished Mahoromatic a few hours ago, and the cry "Fist of the Nude Star!" is going to have me chuckling for days to come. That, and "Bitty Booby Attack!"
I would love to have an interview with Wendee Lee and Bridgett Hoffman about what it was like doing the dialogue for that series.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:08 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

It probably didn't take off, because its target audience was turned off by 4Kids' original dub of the show.

Such would be the case if a large enough audience was exposed to the dub, but aside from the people who surf the internet, many of the folks who watch CN were sheltered from the "bad" dub for a long while; the Krieg and Kuro arcs, relatively "less-painful" than the Morgan and Arlong ones, were shown on primte-time Toonami early on, followed by a serious bount of Drum, then Arabasta, and finally a rerun of Drum.

The best of the 4Kids dub, including a "relatively normal" arc, was what the CN viewers were experienced to; if anything, that minimizes (but does not elliminate) the negative factors of 4Kids' dubbing, bringing the CN viewers "as close" to the original show as 4Kids got.

In the United Kingdom, OP took off even during the first trashy 4Kids episodes; it's been theorized that is is due to people "finding the merit" in the show. If the UK could do it with the heavy butchered episodes, why couldn't the US do it with the lightly manhandled ones?

GATSU wrote:

I'm guessing it was a case of too little, too late by then.

Given that the series was virtually unknown and had mild (though excellent) promotions on CN, I'd say it was a good effort. It just didn't bear any devil fruit.

GATSU wrote:

We'll see.

Indeed we shall.

GATSU wrote:

*cough* Naruto *cough*

Not exactly; barring the obvious fact that Naruto is a cartoon, it doesn't have the atmosphere of one. That is, there's no thematic exaggerations of character design of personality (caricature) or logistics presented as inherently ridiculous; the Naruto anime took a serious plot and presented it seriously. The One Piece anime took an absurdist plot and presented it seriously.

As I've said before, the analogy is "Macbeth performed by clowns".

GATSU wrote:

So in other words, filler? Rolling Eyes

Pretty much, except it's manga-adapted filler.

GATSU wrote:

Perhaps the subs they were reading were a little too literal, and came off flat, as a result?

I used that group with the hubris complex, and showed people choice fight sequences (namely, Luffy v. Crocodile I); I tried to find an action-packed episode that embodied OP but didn't suffer from a lot of flow weaknesses (as was the case in the East Blue fights).

GATSU wrote:

Chobits did pretty damn well for itself before its 15 minutes ended. I think a better analogy would be Ultimate Muscle.

I had a lot of trouble finding a comparable series, so you'll have to excuse me for that error (if one was made); regarding UM, it resulted in the unusual situation of a second-season being produced exclusively for America (well...), so its popularity cannot be underestimated.

GATSU wrote:

I think they're waiting to assess sales for the dvds, before they decide whether to continue the manga. And I see more Bobobo fan art in Jump than OP.

Somehow I doubt that, since Illumitoon are the distributors and VIZ Media had all the opportunity in the world to get the title themselves; they handled the manga, and have records of how well the manga did. Bobobo strikes me as a show that would do better in manga-form than anime, even though the anime audience is larger, so for the VIZ manga to fail so profoundly that VIZ won't even touch additional volumes leads me to infer that there isn't much interest in it.

That contrasts all the rave I've heard about Bobobo on various forms, but eh, if OP or Slam Dunk are any indicator of success in America versus Japanese or internet popularity, neither are exactly 100% sound indicators of profitability.

GATSU wrote:

I'm not actually a fan, but I still feel 4Kids blew it.

I wasn't talking about you in particular, just OP fans in general from what I've observed. I got kicked from a certain IRC channel not two hours ago by making a comment that Naruto's manga was improving, under the pretense of "OP > NARUTO FAG". Yeah, real mature of an administrator to provide that comment.

I reinterate; the OP fandom is terrible.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:00 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
dormcat wrote:

I heard your wish. Twisted Evil

Oh, holy crap. You have GOT to be kidding me.

Oddly enough, I've found this conversation more enjoyable than the actual column.

Hmm, it's being directed by Hiroaki Sakurai (Director of Di Gi Charat). I have some interest in this now.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:35 am Reply with quote
SnowStar_7* wrote:
The Tempest though? I've always thought it was one of the most boring of the Shakespearian plays. Conicidentaly I was thinking about this today. I wouldn't mind an anime adaptation of the Taming of the Shrew or King Lear focusing around one particular character I loved from it.... just, because I think it would be interesting.

I very much disagree - I've always loved The Tempest, and consider it Shakespeare's most original and imaginative pieces. It's perpetually underrated. It's usually goes unmentioned in lists of Shakespeare's greatest works, but it certainly is one of the best, in my opinion.

I'm glad Zac is being realistic about One Piece's chances. Just because 4Kids has stopped production on its dub, doesn't mean FUNimation or Viz has already started on it. It's pretty unlikely that any company will look at what an enormous failure OP's been here and want to buy its license, and if that did happen, it wouldn't be for quite a while.

Hokuto no ken will turn any celebrity-obsessed princess into a woman proper for hotblooded manly men.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7