• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon GO Game App Launches in Select Countries

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Is it worth all the hype?

I never followed the game so I went in blind. Five minutes later I uninstalled it. It's just a simple mobile GPS game like Igress. If you're expecting anything like that main titles you'll be very disappointed. Given the fact there's only gen 1 Pokemon makes me think this is aimed at non-fan who stopped playing and watching the franchise after the 90s. Most of the news articles about the game on the web seem to be framed in that mindset of capturing their nostalgia as a kid at anyrate .

-Stuart Smith
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
The moment this app results in a fatal car crash or traffic accident when some stupid kid rushes into oncoming traffic it will be slam dunked into the trash where it will join Swapnote. I would say there should be age restrictions, but this is Pokemon we're talking about. Just stick to the handheld games, this idea isn't that amazing.
Swapnote lead to kids getting molested, didn't it? That's kind of on a whole nother level than forgetting to put a speedometer into the game(or did they? There somehow hasn't been a wreck yet I can find).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
If you're expecting anything like that main titles you'll be very disappointed.

As a bystander to this craze, I must admit I am quite entranced by the cultural aura surrounding the game. The presses have barely been able to keep up with the stories arising from it:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Many people been playing all week

Even people who weren't into Pokemon but want to join in on the fun
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Just wait until we start getting news stories of people getting mugged and stabbed because they wanted to go catch Pokemon in the ghetto, or a pedophile set his home to be a hotspot to lure kids. Or someone gets shot for tresspassing on private property.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Many people been playing all week

Even people who weren't into Pokemon but want to join in on the fun

This describes me. I guess I like the phenomena of it. I like that you have to walk around to play (although I caught the most Pokemon sitting in one spot that was luring them in) and tons of people in my neighborhood who were also playing.

Edit: There was already a news story about people using the game to lure people to rob. I guess you just need to use common sense.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/armed-robbers-used-pokemon-go-app-lure-victims-police-say-n606786
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2