• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Time Travel Girl (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, she's been drooling over him for awhile now. Though it might not be meant to be since in that book she still using her family name and not his.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Mari was getting a bit jelly of Shun getting close to that lady.... although it was mostly squicking me out that the secretary was getting so close to him like that.

Honestly, I was kind of happy that we had a bit of break from form by an episode that gave some focus to their family; Mari's sister and mother, as well as Waka and Shun's mother. And I think the sister character had the right amount of kid personality without being made overly cute. Watching the OP raised my thoughts that I have actually been kind of happy that we have been shown in the OP what historical figures to expect in the show, so it is not too much guess work. But also that despite that fact, the show has kind of avoided actually doing a too standard form of the circumstances around Mari being sent back.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

And this is why you never tell your mother what you're up to. :/
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:06 am Reply with quote
When did Shun get a sonic screwdriver?

Just like mums, always being over protective in banning you from traveling through time in a system you don't fully understand, all to prevent you from accidentally being stuck in time. To be fair it was the right thing to do to tell her mother here, and it is reasonable that she would not want her daughter to do it. Although they still need to figure out what happened to her father.

Also, just had the general thought that Mari's 'future' job might involve getting things like her swimsuit and uniform that don't belong in the past.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Interesting, the villains kind of swapped between kind of evil with storming to take over the laboratories, tying up the good guys so they cannot interfere, but also maybe having a point with contracts and being somewhat reasonable. The professor kind of did a bad thing first in selling a historical item, and the whole not black or white thing is actually a little fun.

Also, not sure if full extent, but some mention was made on the business side of inventions and that perhaps you need to be a bit of a narcissist. I was listening to podcast a few weeks back that was talking about how many famous inventors or entrepreneurs were somewhat narcissist and succeeded by being able to sell their ideas.

Lol at the part where the mother said Edison had good eyes for saying the business guy looked bad before him later saying he actually looks honest.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:05 am Reply with quote
I think this show is a pretty good example of edutainment which is not an easy genre to pull off. Normally, the educational aspects tend to get highlighted at the expense of the entertainment component, but I think the show has been able to provide a pretty good balance. The one thing I've never really been able to get used to, though, is how nonchalant Mari's mom is that her husband has been missing for three years. Not exactly a clingy sort, that's for sure.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Hertz was only 36 when he died, and he really did think his work was useless, so they got that right. But they made it sound like he got lung cancer or something from the cathode radiation. In fact, he died of an autoimmune disease of the blood vessels.

Not only did his wife not remarry after his death, neither of his daughters married either, so he has no direct descendants. Sad

Episode 11

Looks like someone crossed the streams. I think the necklace Mikage is wearing is either Mari's or her father's, depending on how it got left in the lab, and the Time Lords are unhappy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:53 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Looks like someone crossed the streams. I think the necklace Mikage is wearing is either Mari's or her father's, depending on how it got left in the lab, and the Time Lords are unhappy.

The joke I mad to myself was that Arcadia Bay was in trouble, a reference to the game Life Is Strange, which involved time travel and huge destructive storm related to time problems. The necklace is most certainly the one her father had which likely returned without him, and apparently having two the same one in the same place and time is not good.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

So Mikage drew the short straw after the paradox with two of the same item in the same place was resolved, well he was being a bit of a jerk in trying to sacrifice Mari's father. Although I could kind of see his side that business was important to make use of the inventions of scientists. As his prize he seemed to get personally involved Edison who was a notorious business man, or who knows if the show is saying that it was Mikage's doing. It is interesting that the show finished off with seeing Mari elderly and finding out that it was a book from her lab that her father's invention accidentally took and started all the events, especially kind of ironic since her position as the creator of the Japanese Time and Space Control Committee. Although perhaps kind of fitting since it closed off the paradox events that probably lead her creating the body, probably after she saw the space time fissure first hand, and according to a conversation between her father and Shun, would help settle things after some sort of chaos when Shun discovers the principles behind time travel.

In reviewing Time Travel Girl, I think that it is important to keep in mind what level of show this is. Time Travel Girl is an edutainment piece, meant for a more younger audience, and I think it does surprisingly well. There is some nice focus on some scientists and their inventions, the 8 in the Japanese title of it, and although thee does seem to be some creative licenses taken, it feels like the scientists are shown in a light separate from the cliché images they usually have that might be somewhat inaccurate. There are a bunch of interesting little details or topics touched on like morals on slavery or dress, and also the nice touch at the end that without the technology Edison started speaking English. Mari and Waka were interesting and funny characters, and despite the history of inventions with electricity, I don't think the show ever let itself get comfortable with how it incorporated its time travel, instead it kept mixing it up so it was not just essentially the same story every time. I could enjoy this as a normal story and still like that I am learning something.

I really don't have much of an idea of how popular this is, whether it is exactly successful, and most mature viewers seemed to have ignored it completely. It is not exactly the most complex story which some people might not find as enthralling, but compared to other edutainment shows, I think it is actually solid and engaging example. I give a rating of Good (7/10), I think that it is actually worth seeing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:21 am Reply with quote
Yep, as I said before, I think the show did a good job of intergating the educational and entertainment elements. Sucks for Mikage-san, but he kind of had it coming. I actually feel worse for his assistant who clearly has stronger feelings for him than just employee-boss. I'm a little disappointed that there was no reference to Shun in the epilogue because I always figured Mari and he would hook up. I rated the show Good, as well.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:50 am Reply with quote
I think the youngest daughter would've been "Who are you?" when Daddy came home after 3 years. She can't be more than 5.

So yeah, a number of paradoxes there. The duplicate necklace seems to have materialized out of nowhere, since it apparently got to the lab after it was used to go to Edison's time. Also, how did the book get back in time to initiate all the time travel? Smile Oh well.

They actually did a pretty good job of portraying how these guys looked, with only minor bishifying. Edison wasn't half bad as a young man, and Bell really did have that wacky facial hair (the real thing was even more bizarre looking).

But that was fun and more science than the Science Channel, which only last week tried to tell me that we have seasons because of the elliptical orbit of the earth around the sun. ::facepalm::
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:28 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So yeah, a number of paradoxes there. The duplicate necklace seems to have materialized out of nowhere, since it apparently got to the lab after it was used to go to Edison's time. Also, how did the book get back in time to initiate all the time travel? Smile Oh well.

One would guess that when the two necklaces combined, one was then transported to the room so that Waka could pick it up to solidify the time loop. I don't understand how it all worked, but maybe at one time the father would simply lose it, like it go back without him, but through all the other variables it changed so instead this event happened. I have thought about time travel too much, and that maybe you could change things as long as you still created the events that led it to happen. Kind of like in Doctor Who where on certain matters he would rather be ignorant so he doesn't know for a fact that he could not have gone back and done something. I have always thought that if it was that way, technology of altering memories could solve a paradox.

The only answer for the book is that her father was working on the matter transmitter and for some reason it decided to swap the apple he was supposed to move with the book. Maybe the things he was testing bent time rules and reacted to some of the properties of Mari's lab which also involved time. Maybe a string of strange time warps happened and the one where his experiment that reacts with the book as the most stable timeline.

And I too did think about the sister would have trouble recognising her father, although I guess maybe not so if she happened to look at some photos. And on that it is not even clear what age their father is in relation to what he should be, like he might even be how he was 3 years ago.

Bad science reminded me of something called Marvels of the Science, a parody of bad science videos.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:25 am Reply with quote
I was thinking she wouldn't remember anyone from 3 years ago no matter what they looked like. I guess some people do remember things from when they were 2 or 3 though. I wasn't one of them.

I liked the "Eevolution and Ehvolution are two of my favorite Marvels of the Science." Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2