• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Western Foods Are Popular In Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
Possibly. I wish we could get joints like that set up here in Texas. Hell, it's the kind of food people would love here. It has meat, spiciness, and a vaguely tortilla-esque wrapping.

Maybe you should check more mexican taco stands, here Kebab is know as "Tacos de trompo" using real tortillas (I suppose kebab uses arab bread instead).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Japanese don't usually grill in their backyards, so they go out.

Taco Bell just opened in Japan too:

Yes, there's a line - Japanese love lines. Laughing

And they have these every year now:

GVman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:18 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
GVman wrote:
Possibly. I wish we could get joints like that set up here in Texas. Hell, it's the kind of food people would love here. It has meat, spiciness, and a vaguely tortilla-esque wrapping.

Maybe you should check more mexican taco stands, here Kebab is know as "Tacos de trompo" using real tortillas (I suppose kebab uses arab bread instead).

It's a different sort of sauce, too .I love Mexican food, but kebabs are fairly different. Though I could go for some carne guisada tacos...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:17 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
There's a few joints I've encountered that refuse to fix me a medium rare burger. It always saddens me, especially when the same joint offers a burger with an undercooked egg on the top of the patty.

Yep, that's the sort of place that either has had an incident with food poisoning or contamination, don't want to take the risk of food poisoning or contamination (and it's a big deal, considering my favorite sushi place went out of business due to people who got food poisoning suing them into bankruptcy), operate in places where they're not allowed to serve a burger medium-rare, or keep things simple and cook all their burgers well-done with no exceptions. There are definitely other reasons that I can't think of at the moment. But as I live in a place that once had a "well-done only" law for ground beef (it's since been relaxed), a good 90% to 95% of the hamburger joints here will not serve a burger less than well-done.

According to some sources, it's been relaxed to medium and above. So don't stop by here if you insist on your burgers medium-rare. It's illegal and the health inspector will shut the place down, so few places are willing to try it. (Neighboring counties are not quite as strict though.)
crazyidiot78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
Don't know if anyone said this yet.

"The reason Japanese people are so short and have yellow skins is because they have eaten nothing but fish and rice for two thousand years... If we eat McDonald's hamburgers and potatoes for a thousand years we will become taller, our skin become white, and our hair blonde," Fujita once said.

Mr. Fujita is partially right and partially wrong. He is correct in saying that eating more hamburgers (calories + protein) will actually help make some one taller to a degree. Just look at second generation Asian immigrants in western countries. They are often significantly taller than their parents with no change in genetics.

He is wrong because diet has nothing to do with skin and hair color, except for medical conditions. You can scarf down as many hamburgers as you want but you won't get white skin and blond hair. Only changes in genetics will do that.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Miss Hooters Japan Shocked . Hoo'd have thought this owl-themed place would be popular in Japan (when it's from Texas)? Next you 'll tell me Tilted Kilt or Twin-Peaks (that great mountain-themed place by the creator of Hooters) is all over Honshu...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8