• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Western Foods Are Popular In Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I have also never heard that kind of negative judgement about Denny's. All of them that I have visited were respectable family restaurants with decent food at reasonable prices.
Maybe it is a regional thing. Denny's is a big franchise chain.

The Denny's around here were hideously-depressing places that served terrible food, which is probably why said Denny's have just about disappeared from this area. Perkins is far superior anyway.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Mega-chains like Olive Garden are especially known to use cut-rate ingredients and cooking practices, making up for the poor food quality with the money and size to advertise nationally instead of relying on word-of-mouth.

I'd be very curious to know what, specifically, this means. I worked as a prep cook for Olive Garden for a few months back in the mid-'90s (which means that I was the person who made the lasagnas, soups, and sauces, baked the breadsticks, etc.), so unless they've changed their methods dramatically over the years I have a better idea than most of what goes into their food. And I don't recall any of the ingredients being cut-rate. The methods certainly weren't, unless cooking in large batches at one time is considered cut-rate. About the only thing that wasn't made on-site was the breadsticks, as we even had an on-site pasta chef.

Quote:
If you respect chefs as artists in their own right (and I do), chain restaurants can never be all that great because the chefs simply don't have ownership of the recipes, and can't try stuff, or change out things that aren't working. They're unable to tailor a menu based on the best available ingredients, or tweak things based on customer feedback. At that point a chef loses all creativity and becomes a line worker. And with things like food, you can really tell when someone puts their heart and soul into it.

I can understand the appeal of that, but as someone who's not a particularly adventuresome eater (my week in Japan was by far the most adventuresome I've ever been on what I tried eating), I highly value reliability of taste, and that's something chain restaurants excel at.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'd be very curious to know what, specifically, this means. I worked as a prep cook for Olive Garden for a few months back in the mid-'90s (which means that I was the person who made the lasagnas, soups, and sauces, baked the breadsticks, etc.), so unless they've changed their methods dramatically over the years I have a better idea than most of what goes into their food. And I don't recall any of the ingredients being cut-rate. The methods certainly weren't, unless cooking in large batches at one time is considered cut-rate. About the only thing that wasn't made on-site was the breadsticks, as we even had an on-site pasta chef.

Ohhh things have changed a LOT at Olive Garden since the 90s. It used to be halfway decent, but Darden Restaurants have instituted many cut-backs over the years, including banning putting salt in the water to boil pasta to make the pans last longer. Training also pretty much fell down a hole, to the point where an activist investor was able to completely take over the board of directors after producing a nearly 300-slide Powerpoint at what an epic fail their dishes had become (complete with comedic advertising-vs-actual serving photos).

Olive Garden still preps most things from scratch, though, that comment wasn't about them. That was from when I was in middle school and we took a field trip to a Big Boy, where they proudly showed us the giant colostomy bags that the soups came from the factory in.

Quote:
I can understand the appeal of that, but as someone who's not a particularly adventuresome eater (my week in Japan was by far the most adventuresome I've ever been on what I tried eating), I highly value reliability of taste, and that's something chain restaurants excel at.

I have friends like you, and my usual practice is to force them to go to a bunch of wildly amazing ethnic and boutique restaurants until I break them. Very Happy
Derek Wilson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't have much to give on Denny's but I agree it's sad. I've been to two different ones and was underwhelmed Everytime. The service, the completely unhealthy gross food, and the atmosphere are....sad. It felt like the place wasn't even trying. Believe me I spent 3 hours in one due to being locked out of my hotel room and waiting on my roommate. I don't care if I ever go to one again. Its not the worst place but it's not somewhere I plan on going to ever again.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
I have friends like you, and my usual practice is to force them to go to a bunch of wildly amazing ethnic and boutique restaurants until I break them. Very Happy

I shall remember this and be wary should I ever meet you in person. Wink My experiences with "wildly amazing" or otherwise high-class restaurants have rarely been satisfying ones. (For instance, give me good, toasted garlic bread over some fancy bread meant to be dipped in oil any day.)

On another note, I don't quite get the Denny's bashing (beyond its nasty - and I think now long past - track record with racism). Yeah, they're on the low end the scale as chain sit-down restaurants in the U.S. go, and it's not a place that I go to on a regular basis anymore, but I've rarely been disappointed with the quality of food or environment I'm getting there for the price I'm paying. If I want a cheap sit-down meal then I'd just as soon go there as anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I AM A PICKY EATER. PLEASE BREAK ME LIKE A HORSE.

Fixed. Very Happy
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

I shall remember this and be wary should I ever meet you in person. Wink My experiences with "wildly amazing" or otherwise high-class restaurants have rarely been satisfying ones. (For instance, give me good, toasted garlic bread over some fancy bread meant to be dipped in oil any day.)

WOW, like many anime shows this is yet ANOTHER thing we agree on, I wonder if we were related in a past life. :\
Sloppy_Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

Boiled hamburgers, you say? Surely that would be a waste of meat—the absence of char would rob the patties of much of their flavour. You may as well make "steamed hams"...

"Oh, if only something will break up this awkward moment." (Watches Krusty fly by weeping.) "That will do nicely!"

On topic, I prefer my dead cow bleeding. Gotta agree with Japan on that.
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I suppose it depends on what one grows up on. I was raised on two things: To save every penny, and to not trust anything that isn't well-established. To that extent, my parents did not trust anything that wasn't a chain, under the idea that if a local non-chain place was truly successful, it would already be a large chain by then. That mindset I have discarded upon watching Food Network and seeing highly successful non-chain restaurants whose owners are very happy, though because my income is still rather low, I must hoard coupons and seek out deals wherever I can. (That, and huge nationwide chains are still my comfort food.)

I have some friends whose dad is kind of like that. He believes that locally-owned restaurants aren't held to the same rigorous health codes standards as chains, and rarely eats anywhere else unless he knows the people running the joint himself.

One thing about chain restaurants to remember, though, is that they tend to be pretty good in areas where there are fewer of them. In a city, there's less accountability when there's another one barely a mile away that a disgruntled customer can visit. In a small town, though, when the Whataburger sucks, it sucks, and there is no going elsewhere. It can't simply melt into the sea of other highly similar restaurants.

Key wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

Woah woah woah woah woah. I'm nowhere near the food snob Justin is, but dipping bread in olive oil is too adventuresome for you??? Next you're going to tell me that you get your burgers and steaks well-done.
Sloppy_Jimbo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I have to share this story. My friend and I were at AX a few years ago and we hit up a Denny's at 1:00 a.m. Afterwards we staggered drunkenly back to our hotel and I immediately staked my claim on the bathroom. Upon emerging I looked my friend in the eye and deadpanned, "Well, there went Denny's." We still laugh about it to this day. Very Happy
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

The regular Big Mac already has two patties. Does the Double Big Mac have four?

Yes, four patties.

I used to eat the Double Big Mac all the time when I was a younger man. Now that I'm in my 40s and I have a more refined palate... I only eat the regular Big Mac. Or the Mighty Angus. Or sometimes the CBO (Chicken Bacon Onion), though I really wish McDonald's would bring back the McBistro Southwest Chicken sandwich in Canada.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

I'm a picky eater, and dipping bread in olive oil nowhere close to adventurous to me. You don't have to dip it in the olive oil if you don't want. Plus fancy bread is still bread just made better. It's not really exotic by any reasonable definition. I also hope like GVman that you don't have your steaks and burgers well done. That's tantamount to saying I don't like my steak to have flavor.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow now hate on people who like things well done Laughing
Sorry bloody meat disgusts me and who knows how well it's cooked, well this is coming from someone whose mother cooks things till practically burnt lol.
I'm not much of a meat eater anyways, it's not healthy to eat too much of it.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Wow now hate on people who like things well done Laughing
Sorry bloody meat disgusts me and who knows how well it's cooked, well this is coming from someone whose mother cooks things till practically burnt lol.
I'm not much of a meat eater anyways, it's not healthy to eat too much of it.

Doesn't have to be bloody, just not well done. Anyone who cooks or eats professionally will tell you that cooking it well done will destroy most of the flavor. Also one generally checks a steak before they eat it to see if it's done well enough, so that's how you know.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
...and if you don't want to eat Japanese cuisine or western cuisine in Japan, there are great Indian and Turkish restaurants also, as well as the more Japanese "Korean BBQ" and Chinese restaurants.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8