• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It's not entirely clear from the review - did they fix the horrendous non-animation toward the end of this season (esp. episodes 9-10) for the disk release or not? It sounds like they didn't completely re-do it, but is there at least some animation in the battle scenes or is it still all speed lines and still shots (not to mention the plethora of off-model moments)?

There's a lot of still shots, especially in the earlier stages of the battle. In the later stages there's more animation.

Quote:
Also, did they fix the part in the simul-dub of the first episode where the vampires claim responsibility for unleashing the virus as punishment on the humans? Cause that's neither what the Japanese was saying, nor the fact of the matter.

Certainly sounded to me like the vamps were claiming responsibility.

KENZICHI wrote:
As for dub performances: I can't believe you didn't talk about Micah! He did so well as Yuu I was really impressed. I haven't heard him since the Soul Eater days and he's improved so much since then; I'm really proud of him lol.

Actually he's done enough other great work since SE that this was a comparative run-of-the-mill performance for him. (His performance as Yukine in Noragami was my Honorable Mention for Male English Dub Performance for 2015, for instance.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:

And that's not it, the creator said they are like Romeo and Juliet, so...

The anime director said that.
The actual author didn't say that.

The Japanese wiki says Yuu and Mika are "best friends" though and since this is shounen, there isn't going to be canon romance between two boys. Shounen doesn't do that.
kpk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
kpk wrote:

The Japanese wiki says Yuu and Mika are "best friends" though and since this is shounen, there isn't going to be canon romance between two boys. Shounen doesn't do that.

There's always a first time for everything... Razz
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
kpk wrote:

True......but this is an exception. :p

.............for someone who doesn't like yaoi, you sure want to believe it's canon o_o
kpk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
kpk wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
kpk wrote:

True......but this is an exception. :p

.............for someone who doesn't like yaoi, you sure want to believe it's canon o_o

While I'm not into yaoi I feel like having the main two leads in a show/manga like this will be very progressive and needs to happen at some point.
xzy123

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
this look like bleach with nothing interesting add on it
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:17 pm Reply with quote
xzy123 wrote:

No, this show is about as different from Bleach as night differs from day.

More like.....Attack on Titan except the titans are vampires.

And are nicer to look at. Anime hyper Yuu and Eren are somewhat alike as well (though Yuu is a lot cuter, imho)
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
xzy123 wrote:

No, this show is about as different from Bleach as night differs from day.

More like.....Attack on Titan except the titans are vampires.

And are nicer to look at. Anime hyper Yuu and Eren are somewhat alike as well (though Yuu is a lot cuter, imho)

The vamps may be far more attractive than Titans - but Attack on Titan is a MUCH better show than Seraph of the End. Now I'm just waiting for Crunchyroll to release Kabaneri so I can dissect that series and make comparisons - you know, typical stuff.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:39 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
yappers4 wrote:
kpk wrote:
"intimate brotherly relationship with Mikaela"

I... don't think that's what their relationship is. I think they're in love with each other.

I think it's more like Mikaela is in love with Yuu and Yuu only sees him as a legit brother from another mother.

Nah, their feelings seems mutual.

highly unlikely. considering that this is a shonen jump series, its unlikely their gonna go into the yaoi department. especially considering that shinoa have developed feelings for yuu (history might end up repeating itself if he becomes oblivious to her feelings which have been the norm for shonen jump protagonists) and of course there is mika who might have some kind of devotion to krul. especially after how season 2 ended.

Quote:
He's basically a cross between Bleach's Ichigo Kurosaki and Blue Exorcist's Rin Okumura.

hardly. for one thing, he's a lot more thick headed than ichigo and he doesnt have a massive temper fuse like rin. if anything he's more or less like attack of titan's eren (especially when it comes to their obsession with revenge). hell the three main characters basically are AOT clones of sort. yuu=eren , shinoa=mikasa and yoichi=armin. the only difference is that eren actually cared for his friends from the start while yuu only started to after ep 6-7.

Key wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:
As for dub performances: I can't believe you didn't talk about Micah! He did so well as Yuu I was really impressed. I haven't heard him since the Soul Eater days and he's improved so much since then; I'm really proud of him lol.

Actually he's done enough other great work since SE that this was a comparative run-of-the-mill performance for him. (His performance as Yukine in Noragami was my Honorable Mention for Male English Dub Performance for 2015, for instance.)

and he's actually done a lot more decent work than just yukine. there was of course the male lead for code breaker as well as support roles like midnight from fairy tail and coby from one piece,though the performances for yukine and soul were definitely stand outs.

the other stand out that was more or less close to those performances was touma kamajo from the index/railgun series.

however i was definitely fooled during soul eater's run cause i kinda that micah was actually johhny young bosch using an alias cause the voice over back then was way too uncanny for it to be a different person.

as for the rest of the dub cast trosko actually is a pretty decent pick for guren. its definitely better to hear a new voice instead of hearing the old ones over again.especially since back then people assumed that the VA for kogami of psycho pass would have been picked for guren. and speaking of old voices, no dub fans was surprised at the slightest when rial was chosen for tepes and its not cause of dance in the vampire bund. its been more or less been Funi's MO to have her voice loli based characters and "moe" characters. the only exception was fairy tail when they have her as mira instead of wendy and have brittany (aka mikoto mikasa) in that role. the only downside to an otherwise good dub performance is that there is no plans of a season three which means it might end up going the same fate as other shonen jump series where you will have to read the manga to continue on with the storyline.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:15 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
hell the three main characters basically are AOT clones of sort. yuu=eren , shinoa=mikasa and yoichi=armin.

You are going to have to try really, really hard to convince me of the bolded one. I cannot, in the slightest, imagine drawing a comparison between those two, as their personalities and appearances are utterly different.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:22 am Reply with quote
Honestly I really liked the show's first episode but over time... I just cooled down on it. If I had to describe the show in a nut shell it's basically Attack on Titan meets Blue Exorcist Except, unfortunately, not as good as either.

Look, I get that a lot of anime tend to be set in High School and there's absolutely no way some gaijin like me is going to change Japan's attitude towards settings like that. But did this show really need to be set in High School? Honestly, I don't think the whole magic school thing really meshes well with the 'humans on the brink of extinction fighting against man eating monsters' setup.

Overall I think it's an okay series (Not to mention the animation, the art style, the English voice acting and the music are all fantastic) but I expected a lot more from it.

Now, the situation with this show in Australia is weird because Sony Universal own the rights releasing the first season in a BD/DVD combo at the dirt cheap price of $35 Australian ($26.56 USD). Our release has Funimation's dub and the Japanese version as well French and German dubs (Which I should mention are both far weaker than the English and Japanese versions) with subtitles in all sorts of languages. We get the Seraph of the Endless shorts, but no commentary. Which REALLY bums me out. Also (Probably to accommodate the 4 audio tracks) the show is spread across two 50GB discs with 6 episodes each.

I just thought that was worth mentioning.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:01 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
There's a lot of still shots, especially in the earlier stages of the battle. In the later stages there's more animation.

Hmm, sounds like they didn't go back and do any more work on it. I guess that's not surprising, since this isn't AoT.

Quote:
Certainly sounded to me like the vamps were claiming responsibility.

Bah. Even in their subs (at least online) the announcement clearly said the humans were responsible.
Oh well.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
Those subtitles remain. The English dub at that point says, "A deadly virus has been released, punishing humans for their foolishness." When I first heard it, I interpreted that as meaning that the vampires were claiming responsibility. The subtitles imply a little better that it was the humans' own fault.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:36 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Look, I get that a lot of anime tend to be set in High School and there's absolutely no way some gaijin like me is going to change Japan's attitude towards settings like that. But did this show really need to be set in High School? Honestly, I don't think the whole magic school thing really meshes well with the 'humans on the brink of extinction fighting against man eating monsters' setup.

I have to argue that FAR more scenes take place outside of high school than in high school though? We spend only a few minutes on high school shenanigans but the rest of the show is set either on a battlefield or the kids on their way to a battlefield.

This is definitely not a school anime in terms of genre.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:22 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

I have to argue that FAR more scenes take place outside of high school than in high school though? We spend only a few minutes on high school shenanigans but the rest of the show is set either on a battlefield or the kids on their way to a battlefield.

This is definitely not a school anime in terms of genre.

And thank goodness for that. I was initially skeptical of the show when it seemed to turn into some sort of magical high school show early on, but it moves out of that setting pretty quickly. It mostly seems to be used more to show that humans are still trying to keep some aspects of society going, despite the state of the world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3