• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Cheer Boys!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
Hisashi turned out to be surprisingly adorable. Very Happy

I'm still enjoying this show quite a bit, the characters are likeable and well-written and the drama never feels forced. I just hope that we'll at least get some actually animated cheerleading if they ever make it to a tournament.
chaccide

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to seeing some of the cheerleading too. They've been teasing us enough!

The animation is pretty bad at points, but this is a show I consistently look forward to seeing each week because it has spirit. And I too am amazed at the number of characters they're juggling successfully. Each one had a recognisable character. Go fight win!
Peebs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I had my hopes up for this episode. Such an emotional reason to show what the boys had practiced tirelessly finally showed itself. My body was ready for the feels. I immediately stopped when the cheer was all still images with a sprinkling of action. What a huge letdown.

My last hope is that the cheer for the competition itself is not CG because I will flip all the tables at home. And at work.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
While I'm glad they didn't do something as inane as a miracle cure, I still felt like I wanted at least a few seconds spent on her reaction to it all. She obviously didn't hate it, but all we saw was that mildly vacant, mildly curious smile like, "Oh, I'm in my chair, where are we going now? Ah, there are people there." It seemed like she'd have the same reaction to simply opening the curtains and letting her look outside at the sky (after apparently being cloistered in her room with no stimulation (judging by his shocked reaction to the nurse opening the curtains) - no wonder she's deteriorating).
chaccide

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they didn't show any reaction from her because that's just the truth of dementia, and it made Kazu's extended family that much more meaningful.

I felt so bad for him. When someone reaches that stage you'd do anything to get one last moment of recognition, but it never (or rarely) works. It is truly heartbreaking.
Peebs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so we didn't even get to see how Haru messed up. I thought he was gonna fall and break his hips. Or something that would put the boys on hold and create more drama.

I've already invested so much in this anime, to the point that dropping it now would be dumb. I'm only sticking around for the OP and ED which are catchy and get me dancing on my chair. The end is coming and it's gonna be a huge let down.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
side note: what kind of parents name their kids Haru and Haruka?

The kind who name all their sons George and a daughter Georgette? Wink

Wow, the qualifiers consisted of a single rotated head shot, and we're never even told what he did to mess up. smh

After what happened with Shou and how he and Sakura took his original "circus" comment to heart, you'd think he'd stop saying that and just tell him what he means, instead of repeating it to make him crazy all over again. :/
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
side note: what kind of parents name their kids Haru and Haruka?

The kind who name all their sons George and a daughter Georgette? Wink

It's Haruki and Haruko actually, but yeah...

Gina Szanboti wrote:

Wow, the qualifiers consisted of a single rotated head shot, and we're never even told what he did to mess up. smh

After what happened with Shou and how he and Sakura took his original "circus" comment to heart, you'd think he'd stop saying that and just tell him what he means, instead of repeating it to make him crazy all over again. :/

I think it's his awkward way of trying to support Shou, he seems to be the "hiding his true emotions behind a gruff attitude" kinda type... Wink Speaking of which, am i the only one who got the impression that him and his tsundere kouhai could be a couple?!

As for the lack of animation, i'm still holding up hope that they are saving whatever budget they may have for the nationals (and/or for cheering on Haruko)!
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
Now that was an unnecessarily harsh review. I agree about the lack of cheerleading and that Haruko's story was resolved too quickly (i would have liked the entire team cheering for her for example), but the rest of the criticism felt rather petty.

First of all, there was a lot less "gay panic" than in 90% of other series this side of BL with similar situations (i'd dare to say that even in BL there's sometimes more of it...). Secondly, i never thought that anybody made that big of a deal about Ton being chubby and/or having a girlfriend, but yes, i actually considered Haru's crush turning out to be Ton's girlfriend pretty funny. Which brings me to last but not least, was anybody really that emotionally invested in the Haru/Chihiro ship? I mean, they talked about three times, the rest all happened in Haru's (and Kazu's) heads...i am more invested in the Haru/Kazu relationship, they have much better chemistry (so much for gay panic... Wink ).

Anyhow, i'd probably give this episode a solid B, still hoping for some actual cheerleading in the finale, but i wouldn't exactly bet my life on it...
chaccide

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:39 am Reply with quote
Whoa, in a bad mood when you were watching this week? C- is a bit harsh, and the criticisms are a little silly IMO. I've always thought the Ton girlfriend subplot was breaking the mold and letting the one guy who never gets a gf finally have one at the expense of the hero. They have never made fun of his weight, only showed him as someone who can do what the others do.

I didn't think there was much in the way of gay panic either. The whole Valentine's subplot was people not getting Valentine's from romantic interests but instead from teachers, brothers, leftovers, teammates. He was just one more guy getting chocolate from an unexpected source.

The one thing that really was bad was the animation. Good God it was terrible. It's been getting worse as the series goes on, so I hope they're just saving all their time for the last episode.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Merida and chaccide, the review was way harsher than the episode warranted. I thought it was a nice twist to unveil that the expected love interest turned out to be anything but, it was a novel spin on what was looking like a predictable and kinda boring romance (now my Haru/Kazu ship can continue sailing Very Happy). I also didn't get "gay panic" from the Saku and Kazu moment, like chaccide said everyone got presents from friends and family. Sure, Kazu looked uncomfortable, but it seemed to me it was mostly out of embarrassment? After all he was the only one on the team to get Saku's chocolate. Besides take into account these are Japanese boys, raised in a society that still has a lot of deeply ingrained homophobia and strict gender roles. Haru was already dubious about Saku doing the chocolates in the first place. It didn't feel unrealistc that Kazu would be a little thrown off by it, and he didn't have any exaggerated reaction that would make it look like gay panic.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
My criticisms of the episode are a little different from the reviewer's, but we wound up on the same level of dissatisfaction with it.

I think all the series' problems are just adding up and wearing me down. Especially the dialog. Puzzle and Dragons has more mature dialog than this series (Mizoguchi and Chen excluded as they actually have some of the best lines). It honestly seems to be written for 3rd graders most episodes.

I agree with everybody saying Kazu's reaction was not gay panic. It was just plain old, garden variety panic that anyone feels when a friend or co-worker suddenly puts a move on you. It doesn't matter whether or not that person's gender matches your orientation, it's awkward (unless you can return their feelings) and puts you on the spot because you don't want to hurt their feelings. Adding to that, Saku did it fairly publicly, which just makes it more uncomfortable. Kazu's initial reaction was perfectly normal for anyone...except that he should not have been all that surprised since Saku uses his face as his avatar. They should already have had this conversation!

My other annoyance is that Haru wasn't the only one who needed to apologize, but I don't recall that Haruko ever did.
Silver4000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:29 am Reply with quote
I honestly thought that this was 2 cour. The ending was so abrupt...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Cheer Boys!! had some clear issues in its execution, but after it spent an entire final episode making me love its characters, I can't help but concede its good points.

So I take it that when you called it "worst" show of the season you hadn't watched the last episode and just went on an angry tirade of sweeping and inaccurate generalizations about "abundant gay panic" based on episode 11 alone Rolling Eyes. Maybe you wrote that in the heat of the moment because the episode angered you so much (I still think you were reading too much into it), but it came off as a very inaccurate and unfair mischaracterization of the whole series. Especially considering how all your reviews of the show are on the B range and with overall positive things to say about it, calling it the "worst" for one episode you didn't like, seems like a severe stretch.

As a whole I liked the show in spite of its poor production values. I wasn't all that bothered by the lack of on-screen cheering like I was about Amanchu's lack of diving because we saw the guys constantly talking about it and going to their training and even doing that routine for Kazu's grandma. Yes, we didn't get most of that animated, but we could see that cheering was part of their lives and that it pushed them to grow. I liked how they interspersed little snippets of individual drama and how it all came to fruition in the last episode with the notebooks (although it stretches my disbelief that the coach would know exactly what their biggest short-comings were when she barely knew them when she first wrote those notebooks for them). The little brother trio certainly felt like the most underdevelopped, but for a cast of 16, that only 3 fly under the radar is quite an accomplishment, and I think they figured out a great way of doing that with having different character storylines taking place simultaneously. Honestly the only thing that bothered me was the racist stereotyping of Chen, but at least they gave him a good moment in the final episode. I rated it Excellent, they did a good job of making all these characters relatable and endearing, and gave us a sweet -if unambitious- coming of age story with a little (mostly poorly animated) cheerleading as a side-dish. There were enough portions in the final routine that didn't mimick the opening, so I can't even downplay that one too much
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
So I take it that when you called it "worst" show of the season you hadn't watched the last episode and just went on an angry tirade of sweeping and inaccurate generalizations about "abundant gay panic" based on episode 11 alone Rolling Eyes. Maybe you wrote that in the heat of the moment because the episode angered you so much (I still think you were reading too much into it), but it came off as a very inaccurate and unfair mischaracterization of the whole series. Especially considering how all your reviews of the show are on the B range and with overall positive things to say about it, calling it the "worst" for one episode you didn't like, seems like a severe stretch.

Maybe this just happened to be her least favorite of the few shows she was watching this season. Nick Creamer also called Orange the worst show of the season even though he gave most episodes an A or a B, simply because he didn't like it as much as the few other shows he was watching.

But I agree that her comments about Cheer Boys in the "Best and Worst Anime of Summer 2016" article misrepresented not only the show, but also her own reviews of most episodes.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4