• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Cheer Boys!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
^But Lauren's blurb about Cheer Boys really made it seem like she thought it was the most horrible, distasteful and offensive thing she'd seen, full of gay panic and fat-shaming and with a large cast that was not handled at all (the latter is in direct contradiction to what most of her reviews say). It was different from Nick's criticism of Orange, it didn't have that sense of "it's not really that bad but it's the worst thing I finished", it came off as full on "this shit is irredeemably terrible and I'm sorry I wasted time watching it". She's also reviewing DAYS, and her reviews of that one are (understandably) consistently harsher, ranging in the C's and D's vs Cheer Danshi's constant Bs. It really feels like a way too visceral reaction to a single episode that she hated, rather than an evaluation of the whole series, and seems a rather unfair final note to leave on a show that she seemed to be enjoying most of the time (even in this final episode)
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
Oh, I forgot she also reviewed DAYS, and you're right about the grading discrepancy between both shows. It really does seem like that one episode made her turn completely against the show.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
It would probably be more accurate to call this a slice of life anime which just happens to be about people practicing sports than a sports anime...but despite the lack of actual cheerleading, i enjoyed this show a lot. It managed to make me care about all these different characters, the drama was never exaggerated and watching it always put a smile on my face. It would have been even nicer if it actually had a decent budget, but alas...

I agree with CrowLia that it would be sad if Lauren's comment in the "Best & Worst of the Season" thread gave people the wrong idea and maybe kept them from giving the show a chance, though...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:33 am Reply with quote
I have said it a couple places, but by the end I was kind of just bored with Cheer Boys. The switch of focus to winning a tournament felt like it came out of nowhere, and I did not really care for anyone but the original core cast. And I would say there were a bunch of things I just did not care for, except it did feel like it got back on track with the cheering on their team member during a hard part of his life, and with the sister. And Chen managed to make a bit of a comeback in the last episode after being such a stereotype of foreigner.

I did like it more than Days if that is worth anything.
Teow Yong Nian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I have said it a couple places, but by the end I was kind of just bored with Cheer Boys. The switch of focus to winning a tournament felt like it came out of nowhere, and I did not really care for anyone but the original core cast. And I would say there were a bunch of things I just did not care for, except it did feel like it got back on track with the cheering on their team member during a hard part of his life, and with the sister. And Chen managed to make a bit of a comeback in the last episode after being such a stereotype of foreigner.

One question, since when is cheerleading about wining or losing?? Is about cheering people on, motivates them and make the people around smile and well... be inspired. That is cheerleading and this highlight it to the max.
Teow Yong Nian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

One question, since when is cheerleading about wining or losing?? Is about cheering people on, motivates them and make the people around smile and well... be inspired. That is cheerleading and this highlight it to the max.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Teow Yong Nian wrote:
One question, since when is cheerleading about wining or losing??

Since they turned it into a competitive sport with tournaments, I guess.
Teow Yong Nian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:51 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Teow Yong Nian wrote:
One question, since when is cheerleading about wining or losing??

Since they turned it into a competitive sport with tournaments, I guess.

They didn't At the end of episode 4 we should get the actual story of the show which is breaking or accepting about themselves.
If we want to be technical here cheerleading isn't a sport... Is more of an art form that support and motivates people.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:30 am Reply with quote
The IFC, ICU, and UCA would beg to differ. Then again, the WSF (World Star Federation) might agree with you that it's not a sport - they call it an "industry."

Nope, not in it for the competition at all...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4