• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Akiba's Trip Anime Dub to Premiere 30 Minutes After Japanese Broadcast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing they think the name recognition from the game makes this worth the extra effort?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:04 pm Reply with quote
This could either go well or poorly. If it works, it could make simuldubs more competitive as one wouldn't have to wait weeks for it to be dubbed. Not that I'm confident a satisfactory dub could be produced so quickly.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
This could either go well or poorly. If it works, it could make simuldubs more competitive as one wouldn't have to wait weeks for it to be dubbed. Not that I'm confident a satisfactory dub could be produced so quickly.

I don't know about that. A similar situation happened with Space Dandy, and that dub was very well received.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Not really sure I understand the hype for this.

I actually tried this game about a year ago on steam cause it was on sale. I hadn't heard anything about it prior to that and didn't realize it was so popular.

I played it for about an hour and a half and decided I didn't like it so much. And, coming from me, that's saying a lot because I usually make it a point to finish games. Even ones I don't like.

But meh, maybe I missed something. Perhaps I'll try it again someday.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I would've expected the "minutes after it airs in Japan" thing to only apply to Chain Chronicle since the first 4 episodes have already been released in the movie a week ago.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

I don't know about that. A similar situation happened with Space Dandy, and that dub was very well received.

True, but that was because Shinichiro Watanabe worked directly with Funimation. To its credit though, that dub is the sole reason why broadcast dubs exist today.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Who makes the decisions for these things? Out of all the anime coming out this season, including a few sequels of popular shows, and they choose the video game adaptation? To be fair, the only anticipated sequel that Funimation has access to is Tales of Zestiria the X, and not the more popular Blue Exorcist or Little Witch Academia, but it was relatively well received and would be a more solid choice to create buzz for a new dubbing time table.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:

True, but that was because Shinichiro Watanabe worked directly with Funimation. To its credit though, that dub is the sole reason why broadcast dubs exist today.

Although, we don't know what this "experimental" procedure entails, so it is possible that there is more direct involvement here.

The thing I'm curious about is what they used as the basis for casting. From commentaries for previous simuldubs it sounds like they have to rely on previous work and having at least a little time after the Japanese broadcast to hear the Japanese version. Space Dandy obviously required getting materials well ahead of time, but given the notoriety of anime production for going down to the wire before their own broadcasts, it's hard to see this type of schedule being a regular thing.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Why can't they do this with shows like My Hero Academia Sad
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Now that I think about it, unless it fails hard to the point they have to go back to their normal schedule, this is a good idea for Funi. Obviously I'm not privy to internal matters, but I bet they were looking for one with enough name recognition it doesn't fail in interest and just under the line of getting a dub, so they can argue the only way you get a dub is if you allow us to do our experiments. The reason they wouldn't do a much frankly better show is if they fail hard and ruin the dub even in part, they won't have too too many complaints if they do a relatively bad show to a more popular one. After this Funi will probably have a good idea how quickly they can dub stuff satisfactorily. If they can keep it under 72 hours after airing, it will be a success. A week wouldn't be horrible either as I assume simuldubbers would appreciate a shorter wait if they maintain quality. Even if the show itself is terrible, they could just joke dub it
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
that's interesting. I'd hazard a guess then that the show has either been completed or is very nearly done, and they have been working on it for a couple weeks now. Probably right after Clifford wrapped up recording for Keijo!!!!!!!! I cant think of any other way that would make this even remotely possible
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Its good theyre testing it out for a relatively smaller known show like this, because what Im gathering is they wanna do a simuldub for attack on titan that comes out maybe even a day after the subs first episode is released. Cant wait for this.
Cerulean16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
From what i've heard the reason why this show is being dubbed so quickly is because it has a very good animation schedule, supposedly being ahead in episodes opposed to most anime that usually get an episode done a few days before the episode airs. Plus with this being a game adaptation(despite it seemingly not having anything to do with the game aside from the basic premise), it already has a audience. A good investment if you ask me.

On a side note, it's nice to see Alejandro Saab get a lead role in something. He's got good range and this looks like a show that could have a fun dub.
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:54 pm Reply with quote
doesn't Natalie Hoover live in LA? how'd Funimation get her for this? (Danganronpa 3 I can understated as she was Sonia Nevermind in the second game)
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting if it leads to more simuldubs. By the time the dub usually comes out many fans have lost interest in the show, or at least those episodes. But it's too early to expect much from it.

This is likely because the Japanese companies are starting to depend more and more on foreign sales. It's pretty hard to sell a show to Netflix that people may have already seen months ago.

This would require a lot of pre-planning. The show would practically have to be dubbed in English the same time it's being recorded in Japanese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2