• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Dub D.Gray-man, Servamp, Zestiria, Danganronpa 3, Arslan, Love Live! Sunshine, M

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:00 am Reply with quote
I'm worried that funimation is only worrying about quantity than quality at this point. They're just spewing out dubs left and right. It's worrisome. I don't watch dubs but with that much anime to dub then you're bound to mess up somewhere.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
Aweome, so they're dubbing D.Gray-man Hallow. Nice, I do hope that means we're going to see 52-103 of the first series dubbed as well later on now that they've licensed it. I'd definitely give the entire series a rewatch for that.

Like anybody else, I was not expecting a dub for Puzzle and Dragons... but you know what, awesome. I'll check that dub out, it does sound appealing.

I think it'd be fun to see Saiki K., Servamp and Cheer Boys in dub as well even though I'm already watching them in japanese.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote
That is a lot of broadcast dubs. I wonder if maybe some of this is in response to Crunchyroll making a big push to expand lately? The big thing that distinguishes Funimation's streaming service is the presence of broadcast dubs.

Dubbing D.Grayman is a bit surprising since the previous 50-ish episodes haven't been dubbed. Though they have dubbed previous seasons while doing a broadcast dub of later seasons. However, those were much shorter shows.

drakenfyre75 wrote:

ANN posted an article about Funi picking up and dubbing the second half, think it was during Anime Expo
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-06-30/funimation-licenses-d.gray-man-episodes-52-103/.103823

That says they licensed it, but release details haven't been specified. It doesn't say when a dub might happen. Presumably, it will since the first and third parts have a dub, but so far, there is no announcement on that, and only the subbed version is on their site.

Aerodynamic41 wrote:
I have faith that Funimation will be able to retain the original cast from the game for Zestiria. After all, they managed to do it with Neptunia, Blazblue: Alter Memory and Bayonetta: Bloody Fate.

I hope so, but those were also done for the regular home video releases, which is a lot easier to schedule than a broadcast dub. Then again, they seem willing to make efforts to work with people in LA for broadcast dubs, such as with The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki. Consistent availability will be the big factor.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
They are dubbing the only I feel is worth dubbing, Saika K, so I'm happy about that but for the rest? I like the kaiju aspects of Puzzle and Dragon and a dub will help bring that out? Love Live Sunshine needs some personality? Now that I mention it, it probably does as the leads are kind of stale.

Why are Servamp and First Love Monsters dubs appearing so soon though? First Love Monster will be up in two days? I still haven't gotten over the "why" the concept was made, let alone animated... let alone licensed... and now, it's being dubbed with zero hesitation? Either there's a joke there... or the premise itself... that I'm not getting or that...

I don't know anything anymore. That's a lie because I now know Saika K starts August 7. Seventh. There could be three episodes of FLM up by then and that could possibly destroy the world. Ok, probably not but I've never been sickened by reading manga volume descriptions before.

Will I watch just to see how deep their English voices are?
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
This is going to be a fun summer for me, as most of the anime I intended to keep up with are on this list.

I've read an announcement a few weeks ago that confirmed they are keeping the same cast for Tales of Zesteria X, which I am very excited about. Robbie Daymond made Sorey one of my top Tales protagonists, and anyone else but him playing that role just wouldn't be right. And considering that three of the VAs are Funimation regulars (Alexis Tipton, Caitlin Glass, and Ian Sinclair) I don't think it was as difficult for them to get the original VAs as it normally would be.

They might be dubbing DGM: Hollow now to showcase the cas and get some hype goingt? Like saying "See here, the cast for the broadcast dub has all the original VAs, so it's guaranteed they're coming back for the second half." It might also be that they're dubbing both simultaneously for time and money reason, since they would have to call in Travis Willingham for Kanda.

I'm hoping for DR3 Side:Despair that they manage to get all the VAs from the SDR2 game. I thought the casting in that one was borderline perfect. They do have connections with some of the VAs like JYB, Bryce Papenbrook, Natalie Hoover, and (the ever present no matter where he is) Todd Haberkorn, so there's some hope there.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
D.Gray-man, Arslan and LLS seemed like obvious choice to me; I wonder if these will be the ones on DubbleTalk. I am a also a bit surprised they are not dubbing Regalia, and instead chose to dub crap like First Love Monster. Anyhow, I hope Funimation produces quality dubs for all these shows.

Greed1914 wrote:
That is a lot of broadcast dubs. I wonder if maybe some of this is in response to Crunchyroll making a big push to expand lately? The big thing that distinguishes Funimation's streaming service is the presence of broadcast dubs.

That is an interesting theory. I am pretty sure this is the first time Funimation has offered 10+ simulcast dubs in a season. But we don't know yet if Crunchyroll is going to be able to stream all the dubs they produce.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
Dubbing D.Gray-man Hallow, great now i just hope they actually finish the original series too
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:07 am Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
This is going to be a fun summer for me, as most of the anime I intended to keep up with are on this list.

I've read an announcement a few weeks ago that confirmed they are keeping the same cast for Tales of Zesteria X, which I am very excited about. Robbie Daymond made Sorey one of my top Tales protagonists, and anyone else but him playing that role just wouldn't be right. And considering that three of the VAs are Funimation regulars (Alexis Tipton, Caitlin Glass, and Ian Sinclair) I don't think it was as difficult for them to get the original VAs as it normally would be.

They might be dubbing DGM: Hollow now to showcase the cas and get some hype goingt? Like saying "See here, the cast for the broadcast dub has all the original VAs, so it's guaranteed they're coming back for the second half." It might also be that they're dubbing both simultaneously for time and money reason, since they would have to call in Travis Willingham for Kanda.

I'm hoping for DR3 Side:Despair that they manage to get all the VAs from the SDR2 game. I thought the casting in that one was borderline perfect. They do have connections with some of the VAs like JYB, Bryce Papenbrook, Natalie Hoover, and (the ever present no matter where he is) Todd Haberkorn, so there's some hope there.

Where did you hear that Robbie Daymond is coming back to voice Sorey? I want him to also but just wanted to be sure.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
Well it cool that Love Live Sunshine is getting dub but every time this happens without Strike Witches movie moving anywhere is ticking me off a bit
skywardprincessoftime

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:33 am Reply with quote
Exciting news!! I'm following quite a few shows this season and I'm always happy to see new dubs. I'm probably the only person in the world who wants a Cute High Defense Force dub. Laughing The only one I really wanted was Tales of Zestiria the X. I really hope you are all right and they bring back Robbie Daymond as Sorey - he really was the perfect fit. If they have to replace the others oh well, but keep him please! He made Sorey.
zeil999

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
The DubbleTalk shows are Danganronpa 3, D.Gray-man, and Tales of Zestiria X. Which makes me a little sad because I'm not caught up on anything related to these shows. I have to finish both games series and watch the previous episodes of D.Gray-man. Looking like I'll be skipping this season of DubbleTalk.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote
skywardprincessoftime wrote:
I'm probably the only person in the world who wants a Cute High Defense Force dub. Laughing
You're not alone, I think a dub for that one would be hilarious. Don't think we'll ever get it though Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
zeil999 wrote:
The DubbleTalk shows are Danganronpa 3, D.Gray-man, and Tales of Zestiria X. Which makes me a little sad because I'm not caught up on anything related to these shows. I have to finish both games series and watch the previous episodes of D.Gray-man. Looking like I'll be skipping this season of DubbleTalk.

I'm not sure if Zetiria requires any previous knowledge, but I'm right there with you on the other two. I haven't seen any D.Grayman because I couldn't motivate myself to watch more than 50 episodes knowing that, at the time anyway, there wasn't a legal way to watch the rest. Even if I were to go on a massive binge to catch up, DubbleTalk will obviously be about the dub, but I would have to watch half the series subbed. It just seems like an awkward choice for a broadcast dub.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:

Awesome if so, it'll be great to hear the game dub cast in the anime.
With them simuldubbing it, which confirms it's fully theirs, I'm still amazed they got it and not AoA, since AoA's been getting most of the recent ufotable shows (all the Fate stuff, God Eater).

Yeah, I really hope they are doing that so that they can get Willingham back in for Kanda, he was perfect and it'd be really cool to hear him again. I miss him (and Laura Bailey) being a regular.

Greed1914 wrote:
zeil999 wrote:

I'm not sure if Zetiria requires any previous knowledge, but I'm right there with you on the other two. I haven't seen any D.Grayman because I couldn't motivate myself to watch more than 50 episodes knowing that, at the time anyway, there wasn't a legal way to watch the rest. Even if I were to go on a massive binge to catch up, DubbleTalk will obviously be about the dub, but I would have to watch half the series subbed. It just seems like an awkward choice for a broadcast dub.

Yeah, you don't really need to know anything for Zestiria, the game doesn't rely on knowledge from any of the previous games so the series shouldn't either.

I think it's because they want to jump-start the franchise again here so getting it up early probably makes sense. They kind of did that with Yona season 2 getting dubbed before the first season too, since I think they started simuldubs (after Space Dandy) only after the first season was already underway/ended.

I'm kind of a little curious to see, when the second half comes out, if they are dubbing the rest of the old D.Grayman simultaneously with the new series in the background or if they had actually already dubbed the rest of it years ago and just never released it, lol.

firedragon54738 wrote:
Well it cool that Love Live Sunshine is getting dub but every time this happens without Strike Witches movie moving anywhere is ticking me off a bit

Well said Smile I'd really like get a blu-ray for that movie already, love the dub cast for that show, and there's already more Strike Witches for them to do beyond the movie, and Brave Witches on the way.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
The number of shows getting dubbed fits the pattern Funi has used for the last while with broadcast Dubs, one "on" season where they dub almost every show they have simulcasting followed by an "off" season where they only dub 4-5 of their shows.

This set would be an "On" season. Last was an off with only 6 dubs, MHA, AssClass, Girls online, Shonen Maid, Three Leaves three colors, and Erenride one of which was a continuation of the previous season(AssClass)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4