• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Last VHS Video Tape Recorder Maker Ends Production This Month

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Anyone still got VHS tapes in their house??? Smile

Yes, a last few I need to throw in the VHS/DVD unit to convert. And all of Video Girl Ai, of course - the only anime which is oddly specific to its own medium.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Animechic420"]Anyone still got VHS tapes in their house??? :)[/quote]

I actually collect anime VHS. Mostly for fun/to look nice on a shelf, but I do have a VCR for the rare occasions I decide to watch one instead of watching a DVD.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

Most if not all of my VHS tapes have been replaced with the DVD versions but I still have some tapes. Both retail movies and recordable tapes. The VCR itself is not hooked up though. I ran out of ports so I disconnected it in favor of another device, but I got a receiver a few months back which should have plenty of connection options left over. I'll have to monkey around with it and see if I can get it working again for old times sake. Very Happy
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
They still sold 750,000 last year??? That seems like an awful lot, to be honest.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I've got 4 VCRs in my house--2 hooked up to my main TV, 1 to an auxiliary TV in another room, and 1 still in its box that's only been used once. I don't have a DVR, so I still use a VCR to record shows when I'm not at home.

Even so, got tons of anime and sci-fi shows on VHS (mostly recorded on EP)--enough that it'll probably take me at least ten or more years to watch them all, even if I watch one episode a day, every day.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I got rid of my rather huge VHS collection earlier this year. Still have perfectly working player (to my surprise it outlived DVD Player despite being eight years older). Uh, now I feel nostalgic about 90's.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
My parents own a huge collection of VHS tapes. Sadly, many of them are old and likely aren't playable any more, since they weren't taken care of that well. They also had a fire in their home late last year; while it was isolated to just the kitchen area, the entire house was filled with smoke and pretty much everything was damaged by it. Since a lot of the tapes they still had were ones that either didn't have covers or had exposed sections (for labels), I'm sure they were also damaged by the smoke.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Yep, I still have many of my VHS tapes at home. Many have recordings of the Muppet Show, Muppet specials, Muppet Babies, censored Yu Yu Hakusho, censored Dragonball Z, as well as spanish dubbed anime that aired on the channel TeleFutura a long time ago like Red Baron and Lost Universe, and the spanish dub of Dragonball: The Magic Begins (live action film). I don't know how to convert VHS to DVD so they sit stored safely when I have the time to watch them again. I have a TV/VCR combo so I can watch from there.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Anyone still got VHS tapes in their house??? :)

Yes. I have several, um, Barney purple VHS tapes in my storage unit. Nostalgia, sentimentality or whatever you want to call it.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
My older brother managed a dying RadioShack, and as of 2015, it still sold blank VHS tapes, as well as camcorder cassettes, which they still sometimes use in professional videography IIRC. I own a bunch of old VHS tapes, but have no way of playing them anymore. Our old VCR lasted about 12 years.
Sakurie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Alan45"]
Animechic420 wrote:

Yeah I have a Panasonic DVD/VHS player/recorder. I have some shows on VHS that still haven't been released on DVD/Blu Ray. Plus you can show your kids what tv and ads were like in the 90's so history!!
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

Oh, you bet! I've got bookcases full of tapes downstairs: Professional tapes starting from the 80s, professional tapes from the 2000s because VHS lasted that long, and I didn't have a DVD player until 2002-ish, home-recorded tapes starting from the 80s, home-recorded tapes from the 2000s, tapes of stuff that has yet to be released on any other medium, tapes of stuff that was butchered with releases on other media, tapes of stuff I enjoy watching but do not think worth buying again or just plain can't afford to buy again (After all, new things are being released all of the time).

I have 3 large bookcases where the VHS reside, not to mention what's stored in the entertainment unit: I have even less than I used to because when I was a young teen, other than classic stuff like Disney and Bluth which they would never consider giving away, my parents asked me which ones I wanted to get rid of; Stupid, stupid, teenage self said "Oh, yeah-Get rid of most of that classic European and anime stuff." ( I did the same thing to my book collection. Crying or Very sad )The way I remembered it, for years, was that I had to lay my body across a few treasured titles and hide them to save them but in a later talk with my mother she said that, had I opened my mouth, I could have kept whatever I wanted. Stupid, stupid, teenage self too embarrassed to stand up for what she liked, and still misses because googling a lot of the stuff returns a big fat??????????? or resounding laughter. "You want THAT on video?! Bonne Chance!"

I still have a working VCR and when, pray years in the future, it craps out, I'll get another one.
chex mix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
A lot of old home movies that still haven't been converted, and a lot of old musicals that were never released on DVD. A few random other things. My husband still has a cassette tape collection too, so, we're rolling full on 80s in here. It's all in storage, though. I get really pissy about clutter and start arbitrarily throwing stuff away, so it all got put in my mom's garage ages ago and it's pretty buried by now.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Ahh yes VHS I remember spending long hours rewinding piles of tapes that we had hell we didn't even get a DVD player until 2005 that's when my mom decided that it was cheap enough and yes I still have lots of VHS tapes even though I never watch them anymore. What's even more funny is that I still have some tapes from Blockbuster video that I never returned well too late for that now. Laughing
psipsy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

I still have some tapes, although time has not been kind to them. Most of them could probably be tossed. I also have 4 VCRs (some of them may actually work). One of them is a top-loader with manual tuner dials and buttons large enough to operate with an oven mitt, and complete with fake woodgrain shell. I paid $1 for it at a yard sale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3