• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Last VHS Video Tape Recorder Maker Ends Production This Month

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:29 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Anyone still got VHS tapes in their house??? Smile

Many stacks! Some of them are as old as I am, I would estimate. It must be admitted, the computer-generated cover designs on blank cassettes were actually quite appealing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:52 am Reply with quote
You know,it's really sad when you hear about stuff like this. I have really fond memories of recording stuff on VHS tapes. It's got to be one of the saddest things I've ever read on this site.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:33 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
You know,it's really sad when you hear about stuff like this. I have really fond memories of recording stuff on VHS tapes. It's got to be one of the saddest things I've ever read on this site.
Not really, I mean while it does vary from person to person, few people, not including yourself, have a lot of love for them. I know everything can have nostalgic value, but VHS has no benefits as opposed to say Vinyl.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:18 am Reply with quote
@MarshalBanana

Speaking as someone who used vinyl from when it first came out until I gratefully abandoned it for CDs, I can think of no redeeming value that it might possess.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote
@Alan45 Large album art, collectability and for the first few uses superior sound quality. I know most of that is nothing amazing, and I understand why you would choice CDs over them, but still there is value in them. With VHS, I can't think anything even remotely good about them. They deteriorated over time, they could get dusty and fudge up your video player(this happened to me with a copy of Arachnophobia), they had to re-winded after watching.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
@MarshalBanana

I'm willing to concede that people like vinyl albums and may want to collect them. I do suspect the current popularity is fleeting and will revert to hard core collectors in the future. They are not something I would see as a long term investment. However, I suspect there are VHS (and Beta) collectors out there as well.

Your aversion to VHS likely stems from the drawbacks of the media getting in the way of your attempts to enjoy the content. My dislike of vinyl is from the same source. All I really wanted to do was listen to the music. The rituals necessary to keep the records in as good a condition as possible were a royal pain.

Note: large album area for artwork is a positive, except most of the cover art was merely passible and the size made for a real storage problem when your collection grew to several hundred albums.
War_Destroyer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I was reminded of that one episode in Cowboy Bebop, not sure if anyone remembers? Anyway, damn, at 28, I feel like I've been through so much, and it's easy to with how much anime and tech have changed in my lifetime...
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, the good ol' days, I will never forget going to China Town and getting pirated VHS tapes of 80's and 90's anime with crappy subtitles (or none at all) - good times. The new generations will not know the horrendous quality, limited lifespan, and the annoyance of rewinding your shit after you watch it Wink
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Several people have pointed out the limited lifespan of tape but I would like to counter that with the fact, in my experience, anyway, that tape can last 30 years: It has for me; I'm 31 and many things in my collection are as old as I am, if not older; The collection was added to for nearly 20 years before DVD took over.

I would say that the quality of the tape, the VCR recording speed (I was raised on LP), the treatment and storage of the VHS, play a bigger part than the mere fact that it's tape.

I've known people who treat CDs and DVDs like indestructible items-leaving them out of the case, putting their fingers all over the sensitive part, leaving them outside, and then are shocked when their stuff no longer works: I have a cousin who borrowed several CDs, when we were teens, and then left them strewn, out of the cases, all over the floor of his car; Yeah, he was not lent anything, again, for years.

If you treat your stuff with respect, it will last: Sometimes a person's lifestyle ( where you live, how often you move) and chance ( fire, flood) unintentionally spit on that but if items aren't looked after, to begin with, they won't last as long as they should; I've got 30 year old VHS tapes, MLPs from the 80s with no blotches, books that were handed down for several generations with the oldest one being about 80 years old, and CD-Rs which, I've read (here at ANN, BTW), should have crapped out by now.

If a person's tapes didn't last, it's not a direct judgment on them; I'm just pointing out that tape is not as flimsy as some people believe.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:29 pm Reply with quote
My friend and I were discussing 4k BD players earlier while browsing online and happened to find that Best Buy still sells a new VHS/DVD player. Granted it's a DVD burner combo, so that's probably it's big draw, but still I was surprised that any were still sold.

I converted my family movies to DVDs years ago, but still have a pair of VHS players in my house. One I unplugged because it made an annoying hum and the other, while it's still hooked up, I took the batteries out of the remote because I haven't used it in so long. It doesn't have the time set any more ever since we lost power some many years ago. I don't think I've used either in at least 10 years, but having said that, I do still have various VHS tapes, mostly stuff taped off of TV. One day I'll have to see what treasures await inside Smile
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Now how am I supposed to watch my Night Court tapes? Razz
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Ahh, the good ol' days, I will never forget going to China Town and getting pirated VHS tapes of 80's and 90's anime with crappy subtitles (or none at all) - good times. The new generations will not know the horrendous quality, limited lifespan, and the annoyance of rewinding your shit after you watch it Wink
You left out the best part: taking the VCR apart and hoping the tape was still watchable after being eaten.

Ah, memories.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
You left out the best part: taking the VCR apart and hoping the tape was still watchable after being eaten.

Ah, memories.

Ah, yes...I remember trying to pull the VHS from the VCR that was combined with the TV once... Both the VHS and the VCR ended being broken as a result and, thus, I was never able to record shows as they went live on TV ever again.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:38 am Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
Several people have pointed out the limited lifespan of tape but I would like to counter that with the fact, in my experience, anyway, that tape can last 30 years: It has for me; I'm 31 and many things in my collection are as old as I am, if not older; The collection was added to for nearly 20 years before DVD took over.

I would say that the quality of the tape, the VCR recording speed (I was raised on LP), the treatment and storage of the VHS, play a bigger part than the mere fact that it's tape.

My oldest video tape is from 1983 (a U2 concert video), and it still plays as when I first had it. Aside from not playing tapes to death, I always keep them away from direct sunlight, heat, and dust. The few bad tapes I've had over the last 30+ years were more a result of bad picture quality from recording stuff off broadcast TV with only a rabbit ear antenna.
Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3