• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School: Despair Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guus van Voorst

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 was really good... First, the story about the murder of the little sister was more portrait about the main characters's point of view during that time without showing too much to spoil the hook in the game itself (things are more fleshed out in that for obvious reasons).
Secondly, the show is really good at making you think about your life and if your life is indeed as you wished it to become... some have amazing talents or skills yes, but they usually are forced into a role they eventually might start to hate/or just cannot handle (just look at pop-stars, drinking of doing drugs as a result of that... I feel, Hajime portraits perfectly that someone wants to become worthwhile in life, but that doesn't always have to be the right choice for your happiness...
yappers4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
To clarify and possibly clear up any confusion, the two anime arcs of Danganronpa 3 are the finale of the Hope's Peak Academy story. There will be a new story and a continuation of the franchise in the upcoming video game New Danganronpa V3, which is set to be released this year.

With that said, by the end of the episode, my heart was breaking for Hajime and the DR2 cast because of what lies ahead for them. I truly hope that there is happiness again for them all.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
Sad to see the comedy wind down, but it was bound to happen at some point. I just picked up the Vita version of D2, and I can't wait to explore the TS case in detail.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But this version of Hajime Hinata will be gone forever, all because of his desire to stay by Chiaki's side.

I think jacob is giving way too much credit to nanami on this one. so far in the anime from hajime's side he doesn't even seem to see her as more than a casual acquaintance, once he would occasionally meet after school and play videogames with. the show hasn't even slightly suggested that he sees her as an emotional pillar or is developing romantic feelings towards her. He took to heart the inspirational quotes she made, but that's about it

I think his decision was based more on his own personal insecurities and the fear of being a powerless cog in the machine. Ironically if Sakakura had not being an asshole for no reason at all on this occasion kamakura might not have been born and so the "most tragic (...) event of human history" would have been greatly lessen if ever happened.

While I certainly detest that dude, I am not sure I appreciate how the show just makes him a one dimensional douchebag, jumping to senseless violence without any real explanation or insight to his character. at least it showed that being a douche was always in him and he assaulting people on the future arc was not due to some trauma.

speaking of that scene, I don't know if I should considered it fanservice but I gladly caught hajime's "sore wa chigau zo" followed by a rebutal
yappers4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
[/quote] Ironically if Sakakura had not being an asshole for no reason at all on this occasion kamakura might not have been born and so the "most tragic (...) event of human history" would have been greatly lessen if ever happened.

While I certainly detest that dude, I am not sure I appreciate how the show just makes him a one dimensional douchebag, jumping to senseless violence without any real explanation or insight to his character. at least it showed that being a douche was always in him and he assaulting people on the future arc was not due to some trauma.[/quote]

I think there is a reason that he is a douche. He is at odds with the Munakata in the Future arc. One thing I enjoy about the Danganronpa series is that the characters are well-fleshed out, except for Junko and her sister whom we still know very little about.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Feel so bad for Hajime.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:

I think there is a reason that he is a douche. He is at odds with the Munakata in the Future arc. One thing I enjoy about the Danganronpa series is that the characters are well-fleshed out, except for Junko and her sister whom we still know very little about.

I would argue they're partially fleshed out given that do to the loss of their memories (and the death of some of them) they're in effect much different characters, whose current personalities come off as much different their original personalities and you only find out more about them by optionally interacting with them.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
I think jacob is giving way too much credit to nanami on this one. so far in the anime from hajime's side he doesn't even seem to see her as more than a casual acquaintance, once he would occasionally meet after school and play videogames with. the show hasn't even slightly suggested that he sees her as an emotional pillar or is developing romantic feelings towards her. He took to heart the inspirational quotes she made, but that's about it

Hajime's own insecurities (and being rattled by the bloody outcome of his classmates relationship with "talent") definitely play a part, but he certainly seems to view Chiaki as a friend, if not necessarily a romantic prospect - in his parting inner monologue he says

I wanted to be able to say to you, my friend, with pride..."I have this talent. I can do this incredible thing."

So while his motivation is more than JUST wanting to be by her side, to say he sees her as just an acquaintance downplays part of what drives him down the path he chooses.

Quote:
While I certainly detest that dude, I am not sure I appreciate how the show just makes him a one dimensional douchebag, jumping to senseless violence without any real explanation or insight to his character. at least it showed that being a douche was always in him and he assaulting people on the future arc was not due to some trauma.

Well, in the next scene it's implied he was purposefully being harsh and nasty towards Hajime to scare him off. He's ostensibly allied against the higher ups at Hope's Peak who covered up the Twilight Syndrome murders, and if Hajime goes snooping around it's not out of the realm of possibility that he'd just happen to "disappear" if he learned too much. Though of course this is Danganronpa so it ends in wonderfully cruel irony - by trying to protect Hajime he just ended up steering him directly to the people who are going to destroy him.
Batknight94

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
"I just realized that Gundham's cockamamie story about defeating a great Hell Hound beast (that was actually just a pomeranian) was completely true. Danganronpa, man..."

Oh my god you're right! This show is amazing....
Guus van Voorst

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
God, Komaeda was such a shithead even back then... even if he can't help it in general, he ruins other people's lives...
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Guus van Voorst wrote:
God, Komaeda was such a shithead even back then... even if he can't help it in general, he ruins other people's lives...

Which is why I truly despise him with my entire being, And I must say this makes the future anime stronger actually.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
With Junko and Mukuro's arrival at Hope's Peak, I'm wondering if certain events of Danganronpa Zero are going to be covered, specifically spoiler[Junko's (temporary) transformation into Ryoko Otonashi]. Yuuto's brief appearance (the short kid with the rosy cheeks eating bread) suggests that Despair Arc might go into a little detail about it, but seeing as how DR0's story isn't particularly~ important in the grand scheme of things IIRC, I'm reluctant to say for sure.

Before all this, I was sure Junko recruited the DR2 cast into her despair cult by preying on their weaknesses and insecurities, but seeing as how she's making her entrance almost halfway through the show, I'm now guessing there was a more simpler reason. I doubt there would be enough time for Junko to individually go to every character with different variations of "Your life is garbage, be evil instead". It probably more has to do with whatever is gonna happen to Chiaki, because I think we've all accepted she isn't gonna make it out by the end of this, or if she does she most certainly isn't gonna be the same person, if you know what I mean.

One thing I'm hoping for is one or two cute moments between Makoto and Mukuro. That ship is near the top of my list of "Ships most people are completely clueless about because everything supporting it isn't in the main story". Laughing
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I need to ask at this point is jacob specifically posting the previous DR review when the current episode comes out or is it just happening that way? because if so I would really like to talk about future after watching that weeks future and not after watching that weeks despair. I know it might be needed for some site reason but it is really jarring.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
As much as I loved seeing Junko in this episode, I am absolutely going to lose my shit when I see the Komaru and Toko! And for cripes sake I hope they play a prominent part in this story. If they get downplayed to just cheering Makoto on, or something like that...
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Woah, that whole "Chisa saying goodbye to her class to go to the reserve course" was very essential and necessary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9