• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School: Despair Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I sometimes feel like Junko and Izuru needs a lesson from Saitama-sensei:

Saitama: "You can't destroy other people's planets just to liven up your boring life. Even telemarketers wouldn't do that.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Junko's talent isn't "Ultimate Mastermind", but "Ultimate Analyst" spoiler[this is revealed in Danganronpa Zero. I suggest people do read Danganronpa Zero, as it also heavily implies Chiaki's fate too.]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:
Junko's talent isn't "Ultimate Mastermind", but "Ultimate Analyst" spoiler[this is revealed in Danganronpa Zero. I suggest people do read Danganronpa Zero, as it also heavily implies Chiaki's fate too.]

Ah, okay. They didn't give it a proper name in the episode, so I just made one up. On second thought, they're kind of the same thing though? One translation just sounds more grandiose than the other, but they have the same root meaning as a talent.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Even though it's probably not that difficult to guess at this point, I'm thinking they're going to tell us how despair enveloped the world into war and genocide. Mitarai is a depressed animator who wants to make the perfect anime but keeps falling short... maybe Junko will implant in him despair and through broadcasting his anime he'll spread it to the whole world, thus instigating The Biggest, Most Awful, Most Tragic Event in Human History?
yappers4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but feel that what Junko speaks about despair is true. Oh no, am I gradually falling into despair? Haha.

From observing Mitarai, he has passion but neither hope or despair. I think in the Future arc, the reason he asks Kirigiri those questions is because he may want to become a better person. He may not have had fallen into despair (maybe) but I think he, as well as a majority of the Future Foundation members, have had a hand in creating the current situation in the Future arc...except for Bandai and Gozu.
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I feel like everyone is underestimating how important Mitarai's role in this episode is. The fact that Mitarai is still around in Future Arc, despite having direct contact with Junko and being deemed as important as her encounter with Izuru by her Ultimate Analyst talent, is really, really, REALLY bad news.
Vannil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
GeneStriker wrote:
I feel like everyone is underestimating how important Mitarai's role in this episode is. The fact that Mitarai is still around in Future Arc, despite having direct contact with Junko and being deemed.

The fact that Mitarai is going to be directly involved in Junko's plans brings up a curious idea, is it really Mitarai or the ultimate impostor that is in future arc? we have already seen that the appearances of the characters in danganronpa 2 do not always reflect how they looked pre- despair and may not have even been in the class. If Junko were to fulfill Mitarai's wish of creating the perfect anime, he would be more inclined to follow her and be apart of the fragments of despair than the future foundation. just a thought.

Last edited by Vannil on Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sadly, knowing all the outcomes of every variable in life can get pretty damn boring, and the dispassion that accompanied Junko's talent began to drag her down into nihilism.

Which leads directly into Junko spoiler[erasing her own memories]/spoiler[pulling a Grant Morrison] in Danganronpa Zero. It's really neat how all the Danganronpa installments are thematically distinct while simultaneously feeling like one big coherent narrative.

Quote:
Once again, the talentless suffer from neglect while the talented suffer from isolation under the misguided dogma of Hope's Peak Academy.

Either way, they end up alone... this episode was kind of a downer, huh?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:21 am Reply with quote
I am so glad we finally got more actual insight into junko and why she actually is the way she is. I also really appreciate that jacob got this review out in a really fast time period.

I have been thinking about stuff and I just saw the english dub version of both sides. and I actually just released there is not an actual reason for Sakakura to be the traitor if we take what this episode implies that our animator is a really important person. Sakakura was actually not going to punch asohina until he went up to him and went "IT's RUDE TO HIT A LADY" which of course made him go "YOU'RE RIGHT" Though to be fair I can't think of anyone else who could really upset our yu narukami

currently I think that our animator and scout are the only unrevealed traitors. Since it's best to involve the least amount of people possible in figuring out something like this. That would also really answer the plot hole of how no one would think junko and her sister are messed up and should not be invited, then again nagito got in so...though I blame that more on his ultimate BS power.

If I may though I am shocked this thread has not even mentioned a DR meme/joke section or a My wifu/husbando is the best.
Guus van Voorst

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:54 am Reply with quote
Izuru Kamukura was truly a project that was too ambitious in the end... can't wait when he finally starts screwing things up...

I also found it funny about the curry recipe being on a sticky on the monitor of the computer, lol... somehow they make any disturbing situation hilarious in one way or another in Danganronpa... Anime hyper
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
I was finding it odd in finally realising that it was the ultimate animator who was following Kirigiri around in the future arc, actually became a major suspect to me. Now that he has interacted directly with Junko, suspicion.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Renasviel wrote:

Ah, okay. They didn't give it a proper name in the episode, so I just made one up. On second thought, they're kind of the same thing though? One translation just sounds more grandiose than the other, but they have the same root meaning as a talent.

It's similar, but her "Analyst" talent is actually pretty important in Zero.

spoiler[It's explained that Junko is able to predict patterns, but only with using data and information, which takes away from "Mastermind" and puts a more practical application to "Analyst". She is able to learn the fighting techniques from one student after seeing it once, but she wouldn't be able to fight them without having the data first hand to analyse and predict from. In effect, her talent is not in making elaborate plans itself, but in predicting what people will do and how they will act based on the information she has about them, which allows her to make elaborate plans]
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I just saw episode 7....I think I am going to be sick....
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Mospoiler[nokuma]ing Junko Enoshima. I'm going to need a moment. A few days worth of moment, even.

My new head-cannoncanon is that Junko's excitement at meeting Mitarai is a retelling of Kodaka's first meeting with Seiji Kishi. spoiler[Thank you for yet another traumatic memory to associate with "Tsubasa wo Kudasai." Having it in the same episode as Junko's joke about the RedBlueBull slogan is nothing short of genius. And now we know why Despair Arc is the one that kept the pink blood.]
Vannil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
i have never seen anything that equates to how horrifying this episode and that still is an understatement. i know it was the point to be super disturbing, which is still is putting it lightly. overall it was an amazing episode, but i do not think i could watch it a second time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9